Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 30, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #961 of 15,268
In Tyll's review, he made it a point to mention that the cable issue had been corrected in the X2.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #962 of 15,268
Indeed. I remember him mentioning many complaining about the high impedance cables that came with the X1 when it was marketed as a portable headphone and that after his measurements, that is no longer the case

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #965 of 15,268
Hey guys I need your help. I am looking for a good all rounder before I quit this hobby, and I am trying to decide between the X1 and X2.

I have now sold off my LCD2s, HD650, Q701 and many more. I would go for the X2 but I am questioning how peaky, sibilant, edgy it is. My worry is based on the below comment from tyll. Just for comparison I found the he500 sibilant in some songs, the LCD2 Fazor has mild sibilance but edgier in some songs (can live with it), the hd650 perfect, the AKG K712/Q701 peaky, sibilant but smooth. Any thoughts if I should just go straight for the X1 or get the X2s. Comparisons to other headphones you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Only a slight tendency to be a tad edgy mars this otherwise excellent headphone's performance.

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #966 of 15,268
  Hey guys I need your help. I am looking for a good all rounder before I quit this hobby, and I am trying to decide between the X1 and X2.

I have now sold off my LCD2s, HD650, Q701 and many more. I would go for the X2 but I am questioning how peaky, sibilant, edgy it is. My worry is based on the below comment from tyll. Just for comparison I found the he500 sibilant in some songs, the LCD2 Fazor has mild sibilance but edgier in some songs (can live with it), the hd650 perfect, the AKG K712/Q701 peaky, sibilant but smooth. Any thoughts if I should just go straight for the X1 or get the X2s. Comparisons to other headphones you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

None of my business, but it sounds like you liked the hd650's. Why did you decide not to stick with them?

Fwiw, I can't speak for the X2, but the X1's treble never exhibits anything close to  sibilance for me.

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #967 of 15,268
Thanks for the reply, 

The HD650 is neutral/light in the bass. It isn't natural. My LCD2s were mostly flat with a slight bass roll off and sounded more natural/right. If it weren't for comfort and the slight edginess I would have kept the LCD2s. Comfort being the bigger factor.

BTW, I am seriously leaning towards the X1, but I will wait and see what people say once more X2s start arriving. I just like the idea of replaceable pads.

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #968 of 15,268

Fwiw, I can't speak for the X2, but the X1's treble never exhibits anything close to  sibilance for me.

Me neither.

The X2 arrived today so I will try and get to the bottom, er, top of this.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #970 of 15,268
X1 was well behaved up top for me too. It was just the loose bass that was a bit off.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #971 of 15,268

Thanks,

Have you ever heard the K701 or SR80i? If so, you will know they can be sibilant in the upper mids in a very traditional sense. The X2 on the other hand doesn't show sibilance in its conventional form as the upper mids are pretty smooth and laid back . It's the lower treble (perhaps some upper treble too) that seems elevated and as such adds a hi-freq glare/shimmer on mostly 'ssss' sounds. Very reminiscent of some Balanced Armature IEM's (most notably a few Westone models). I personally find this kind of spike more bothersome than just pure upper mid conventional sibilance as it is almost a super smooth whistle-like 's' as opposed to a grainy hard 's'.

As I mentioned earlier, I think the degree to which the spike affects you will depend on your natural disposition to it as well as how the pads rest on your head/clamping force. On my head, out of the box, the pads were slightly angled with good clamping force and it was torture. Had them up for sale for two weeks and was five minutes away from ordering the K712 knowing full well they could not be as bothersome in that area as the X2's. Luckily, I took them out of the box and started messing around with the headband to change the angle at which they rest on my head (both pads parallel with same clamp as stock). Now they are incredibly smooth, on par with the X1 or maybe even a touch more. Less edgy than the K701, HD600 (by a fraction), SR80i, HD598. Only the MA900 I had were smoother but its not by much now (incidentally, I would have kept them if it wasn't for their planar soundstage relative to X1 and also X2). 

If you don't want to faff around with the headband (in the event you do find them edgy) then I would say definitely go for X1. They never bothered me from the box til when they broke down (3.5mm socket).

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #972 of 15,268
Received last night one day earlier than expected.

I had fit issues with the X1, no such issues with the X2. Ridiculously comfortable and look amazing. Cable is great too.

I am going to let them run in for a few days, will check in periodically and do some listening but no real listening impressions yet.

My regular open choice is the Sony MA900, so we'll see.

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #973 of 15,268
  Thanks for the reply, 

The HD650 is neutral/light in the bass. It isn't natural. My LCD2s were mostly flat with a slight bass roll off and sounded more natural/right. If it weren't for comfort and the slight edginess I would have kept the LCD2s. Comfort being the bigger factor.

BTW, I am seriously leaning towards the X1, but I will wait and see what people say once more X2s start arriving. I just like the idea of replaceable pads.

The new Sony flagship MDR Z7 is said to be smooth, laid-back and have strong bass. A recipe for awesomeness.

Oct 31, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #975 of 15,268
Received mine 5 hours ago. Time flew. First impressions. Less bass than X1 which was to be expected. Midrange is clearer with a nice midbass too. Highs are similar to HD600's being clear and somewhat smooth. I do barely notice the grainy sound but only if I focus on listening for it. I see how Tyll would knock off the HD600's off the wall for these. So similar for less money and better build quality imo. Only downside is the X2's are a bit heavier, but I have yet to notice it with 5 hours in so far. No adjustment like I had to move the X1's occasionally. Clamp force is just a tad bit tighter than the X1's and far less painful than the HD600's. If you're one to find the X1's too bass heavy. The X2's should be perfect if you liked the other sound signatures of the X1's.

Vocals are nice on these. Gaming is spectacular! Make a noise, I dare you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back