Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 22, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #856 of 15,268
Yes, exactly due to the material of the headband, in particular it's acoustic properties. As to whether the X2 has it is anybody's guess. I'd imagine that you need the equipment to test for this.

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #857 of 15,268
Yes, exactly due to the material of the headband, in particular it's acoustic properties. As to whether the X2 has it is anybody's guess. I'd imagine that you need the equipment to test for this.

Interesting...
I found a reference to a Sennheiser patent on the web where the doc refers to a dampening layer between the spring layers of the headband. The word resonance is used in the body as well. They're clearly aware of the issue.

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #859 of 15,268
How much volume are you putting on your X2's @communic  ? I mean do you listen loud? Do you ever measure your headphone SPL's while playing music?

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #860 of 15,268
Haven't measured SPL since around 5-6 years ago which was ~72dB. Couldn't accurately say what level I am with current 'phones but my listening levels haven't altered too much since the very start (though this spans almost two decades so, again, could not confirm with any conviction if this still remains the case).

I think you stated before you had no issue with the treble on the X2's. Did you ever own the X1's and if so did you find the headband to be of adequate size for your head, or too large/small?

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #861 of 15,268
For what it's worth I got a 59cm head, on the bigger side, and sometimes X2 treble bothers me. But I think it has more to do with every one different ear canal shape and resonances at particular frequencies.

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #862 of 15,268
59cm lateral width?! Come to think of it 59cm in any direction would make you some freakishly large giant, let alone in lateral width!

Like I mentioned earlier, X1 had much smoother lower treble. Source, headphone positioning hasn't changed. With headband in stock curvature, I would need my head to be about 2-3cm wider to change the angle of pad elevation which would give lower treble akin to X1.

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #863 of 15,268
I have a calibrated scientific grade SPL meter on my listening desk all the time. So I measure SPL time to time. I never listen loud (sound stays between 60-70 dB, sometimes some recording passages pushes the sound pressure level to to 80dB). And only if I raise the volume higher than I usually listen to and if the recording has such passages, I can hear some peaks in treble. But not on the fatiguing level. Other than that, at normal listening levels (60-70 dB) I feel the X2 to be very smooth.

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #864 of 15,268
Sure, I can turn my music down to a lower volume to help alleviate the issue but that would be like trying to treat a symptom and not the root cause. Again, I am convinced those with wider heads (x-axis) wouldn't have too much of an issue in this regard. At the very least, it would be heard to a lesser extent.

In any case, with changing the curvature of the headband I am not wincing as before. Upper mids / lower treble peaks has always been an issue for me as far back as I can remember so if they are not smooth to a degree I'm comfortable with then ultimately they have to go. It doesn't help that I listen to a wide variety of genres in addition to having quite a number of poorly mastered old recordings that I enjoy.

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #865 of 15,268
  59cm lateral width?! Come to think of it 59cm in any direction would make you some freakishly large giant, let alone in lateral width!

Like I mentioned earlier, X1 had much smoother lower treble. Source, headphone positioning hasn't changed. With headband in stock curvature, I would need my head to be about 2-3cm wider to change the angle of pad elevation which would give lower treble akin to X1.

I meant circumference ( = I don't know how to measure lateral width, but I can photograph myself (note, that is not my real face
rolleyes.gif
 )

I don't understand what you mean with headband curvature either, but moving the cups I can't really hear that much of a difference, maybe because they are open cans? Don't know

I have a calibrated scientific grade SPL meter on my listening desk all the time. So I measure SPL time to time. I never listen loud (sound stays between 60-70 dB, sometimes some recording passages pushes the sound pressure level to to 80dB). And only if I raise the volume higher than I usually listen to and if the recording has such passages, I can hear some peaks in treble. But not on the fatiguing level. Other than that, at normal listening levels (60-70 dB) I feel the X2 to be very smooth.

Out of curiosity, are you sure you can measure actual sound pressure on eardrum? I though a dummy head would be needed

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #866 of 15,268
  Out of curiosity, are you sure you can measure actual sound pressure on eardrum? I though a dummy head would be needed

LOL ! I hope I won't be seeing your face every time I put my X2's
bigsmile_face.gif

Of course it's not a measurement by using a dummy head. I use special silicone and foam structure cover with a hole on the middle where the SPL meters probe goes-in. So I think I reach an approximate value (couldn't scientifically attest, sorry).  But I doubt any dummy head without the texture/shape/structure/density very similar to real human head/ear can deliver an exact result...

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #867 of 15,268

LOL ! I hope I won't be seeing your face every time I put my X2's 
bigsmile_face.gif

Eheheh 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
  Of course it's not a measurement by using a dummy head. I use special silicone and foam structure cover with a hole on the middle where the SPL meters probe goes-in. So I think I reach an approximate value (couldn't scientifically attest, sorry).  But I doubt any dummy head without the texture/shape/structure/density very similar to real human head/ear can deliver an exact result...

Oh ok, so you use something more than just putting the probe near and somewhat sealing (that would be very inefficient). I think your results are somewhat accurate yes, thanks for explaining

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #868 of 15,268

I meant circumference ( = I don't know how to measure lateral width, but I can photograph myself (note, that is not my real face
rolleyes.gif
 )

I don't understand what you mean with headband curvature either, but moving the cups I can't really hear that much of a difference, maybe because they are open cans? Don't know

You have lovely eyes! Ok, 59cm circumference clears things up and makes sense! Lateral width would be measured with callipers from cheek bone to cheek bone. Don't know my measurement but I can see one of your cups lies parallel with your head. Headband curvature is simply the arc formed by manipulating the steel frame within the band which can give rise to a more acute or obtuse arc. You should hear q massive difference by positioning the cups at different angles and with different clamping pressures relative to a fixed point on your ear.

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #870 of 15,268

Users who are viewing this thread

Back