Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 18, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #826 of 15,268
Oct 18, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #829 of 15,268
  If people can't even agree on a high end Senn having wide soundstage or not how the hell do people expect to agree on a Fidelio :p

I think Tyll's review would be a good starting point. In reference to the HD600:

Image width and depth is much better on the X2.

But it would still be good to have a few more opinions.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #830 of 15,268

HD 600 is a very spacious sounding headphone.

Wonder what headphones you compare this headphone to. Compared to DT880, HD598 or Q701, Hd600 have very small soundstage, no question. Especially, very noticeably in width, but honestly in terms of depth HD600 isn't that great either. As a matter of fact, this is first time ever I see someone say Hd600 have "very spacious" soundstage. Never heard that in my life, although many agree imaging is pretty good sure.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #831 of 15,268
Regrets if I missed their posts, but is there a Philips rep watching this thread?

I ask because there are a few things intersecting:
- Philips US launch for X2 seems to be 2nd week of November
- The official NYC metro area Head-Fi meet is November 15th at the Stamford, CT Sheraton Hotel
- Philips Consumer division has a big office in Stamford, CT (around the corner)

Would prob be lots of interest by attendees and prob some press there as well.
Plus, for my own selfish reason...I'd love to see Philips there and audition the X2 there 
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #832 of 15,268

OK let me rephrase then......compared to headphones with a distorted exaggerated "soundstage", HD600 sounds naturally spacious...IMHO

Do some of you just compare headphones to each other and guess what is "right"? Unless you are the recording engineer, that's what you are doing.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #833 of 15,268
" . . . compared to headphones with a distorted exaggerated 'soundstage', HD600 sounds naturally spacious . . . "

I agree totally with Beagle on this.  The HD600 has a profoundly "normal" stage compared to more the more artificially-spacious headphones mentioned above, plus the HD800.  IMO, of course.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #834 of 15,268
  I agree totally with Beagle on this.  The HD600 has a profoundly "normal" stage compared to more the more artificially-spacious headphones mentioned above, plus the HD800.  IMO, of course.

Usually the only time I dislike a large soundstage is when a recording does a 100% pan left or right.  Makes things sound so unnatural, but that's the nature of headphones.

The HD800 can sound stupidly wide (which is kinda cool regardless) but I think it works nicely with things like large orchestral pieces and ambient music.

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #837 of 15,268
After some more testing, the highs are still not fatiguing but, to me, a tad too pronounced. Looking at the graph they should be better than X1, as the mids are more present, but I think I would have liked them a tad rolled off. I hear a little bit of an "hole" between the deep bass and the sparkly treble, especially at lower volumes (around 70db). But I should say that I am a bit sensitive on treble and I have not another quality headphone to compare to. Detail is top notch by the way.

The bass is very good, now that I got used to it. I'd say that now I can feel how it is slightly over neutral. EQing down the treble and pairing the volume, the impact is not that different to the xb500, as comparison, definitely amazing for an open can (it lacks some body on the mids but this is normal, as xb500 is closed and enhances everything but the treble).

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #839 of 15,268
Yeah I know that, in fact I've given up using xb500 altogether to let my brain adjust (= for what it's worth I also got Philips 3590 IEM that sounds completely awful in comparison (=

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #840 of 15,268

OK let me rephrase then......compared to headphones with a distorted exaggerated "soundstage", HD600 sounds naturally spacious...IMHO

Do some of you just compare headphones to each other and guess what is "right"? Unless you are the recording engineer, that's what you are doing.

Nope. More like.. more objective... I think you have found your holy grail of headphone with H|D600... That is great. But now you make claims about it like it is the best thing ever. For instance I can't take it seriously anymore if you say 'naturally spacious'. That is making use of the word 'natural' to make it sound like you have a point. But idea of 'natural' soundstage is ofcourse silly because soundstage is entirely artificial. And to call a big soundstage 'distorted'? Seriously dunno what to say about this lol, that is just wrong on many levels. Also, with your post, you imply to offend pretty much anyone who disagrees with you and prefers bigger soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back