Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #676 of 15,268
I will generally listen to any type of HP just so long as it doesn't offend (upper mids and/or lower treble), is not overly bassy and relatively technically accomplished. So it can err towards the side of bright or dark overall and I'm indifferent (perhaps a smidge dark-bias).

These probably reminded me most of an amped K701 with a ~+2db gain on bass so they do feel quite bright.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #677 of 15,268
  I will generally listen to any type of HP just so long as it doesn't offend (upper mids and/or lower treble), is not overly bassy and relatively technically accomplished. So it can err towards the side of bright or dark overall and I'm indifferent (perhaps a smidge dark-bias).

These probably reminded me most of an amped K701 with a ~+2db gain on bass so they do feel quite bright.

Hey! I never auditioned Philips X1, were they better than X2 for you?

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #678 of 15,268

Hey! I never auditioned Philips X1, were they better than X2 for you?

If I had to compare the two at the same time of ownership (bear in mind this is from memory so impossible to judge the nuances), I would say the X2 seems to have more articulate bass though in lesser quantity. Mids seem more transparent and lighter a tad more forward though I could be wrong on this as it is very subtle (could even be the same)! Upper treble seems the same. Lower treble definitely has a peak that I never heard on the X1 (same equipment) at this stage hence it is coming across as a bit sizzly. Soundstage and imaging seem about the same; separation seems improved on x2.

Overall, I would say I preferred the X1 solely for being smoother. Possibly because of the greater lower bass too.

I'm waiting for the replacement pads to become available whether they are stock or not. I think I can coax the sound I want from these with a mod. Either that or repurchase the X1 and 'fix' the socket assembly
rolleyes.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #679 of 15,268
  If I had to compare the two at the same time of ownership (bear in mind this is from memory so impossible to judge the nuances), I would say the X2 seems to have more articulate bass though in lesser quantity. Mids seem more transparent and lighter a tad more forward though I could be wrong on this as it is very subtle (could even be the same)! Upper treble seems the same. Lower treble definitely has a peak that I never heard on the X1 (same equipment) at this stage hence it is coming across as a bit sizzly. Soundstage and imaging seem about the same; separation seems improved on x2.

Overall, I would say I preferred the X1 solely for being smoother. Possibly because of the greater lower bass too.

I'm waiting for the replacement pads to become available whether they are stock or not. I think I can coax the sound I want from these with a mod. Either that or repurchase the X1 and 'fix' the socket assembly
rolleyes.gif

Please try to play this part for a few seconds(p.s. it's only for testing):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CbOy6PqQ60&t=30

Instead of bass in this clip i get loud pum pum pum sound, there is almost zero power, what do you hear?
I am trying to understand am I missing an amp or am I some basshead..

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #680 of 15,268
Im getting worried with all these bass issues arising. I thought X1 bass was perfect. Not sure with all these reports that the X2 will meet my needs. Blah. We'll see when Amazon US starts shipping.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #681 of 15,268

Instead of bass in this clip i get loud pum pum pum sound, there is almost zero power, what do you hear?

Wow, that track is really damage! Someone have increased bass so much that it distorted the whole track and then added some more bass ontop. This is the second track like this I see in this thread? Is this really the kind of tracks you use to check qulity of headphones? What will the track prove?

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #682 of 15,268
Just a little off topic, but you should head over to Inner Fidelity and check out the comments section for the X2 review. There is some loon going on about there being no such thing as subjectivity, the infallibility of negative Amazon reviews, all professional reviews are lies, video processing with regard (somehow - I could not make the cognitive leap) to sound and some $10 Koss ear buds being the best EVARR!!!1! Quite an interesting and amusing read, if you have the time.
blink.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #683 of 15,268

I can't answer whether you are a basshead or not because surprisingly my current Grado's have more punch/impact than the X2's and they are considered to be bass shy by most! Detail and rendering is much better on the X2 though (went over it several times).

An amp will give you more impact and weight if you increase the bass gain. Sufficient for your needs, I don't know...

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #684 of 15,268
  Just a little off topic, but you should head over to Inner Fidelity and check out the comments section for the X2 review. There is some loon going on about there being no such thing as subjectivity, the infallibility of negative Amazon reviews, all professional reviews are lies, video processing with regard (somehow - I could not make the cognitive leap) to sound and some $10 Koss ear buds being the best EVARR!!!1! Quite an interesting and amusing read, if you have the time.
blink.gif

I read the entire thing, but what you just wrote is not what he said at all. His point is that his portapros are on a certain level of quality and he wants to know in what ways the x2 would be inferior to the porta pros. He's worried it might be muddier.

He doesn't say Amazon reviews are infallible, he says the negative reviews are especially useful to him because that's where you see what's wrong with a product.

I wouldn't call him a 'loon', either.

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #685 of 15,268

Anyway this track has very bad bass, even with my xb500 the punch isn't that strong, for example this one of Glass Animals has better and deeper bass that really resonates my head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQYC2EfzZZw , completely different music style, I know.

From what I read I think we should consider X2 like an audiophile headphone, very balanced and flat, not particularly suited to EDM and other bass heavy music, if one wants to "feel" the bass. In this way it can coexist with the X1, wouldn't be a bad idea marketing wise.

I can't wait to receive mine, I hope not to be disappointed.

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #686 of 15,268

I read the entire thing, but what you just wrote is not what he said at all. His point is that his portapros are on a certain level of quality and he wants to know in what ways the x2 would be inferior to the porta pros. He's worried it might be muddier.

He doesn't say Amazon reviews are infallible, he says the negative reviews are especially useful to him because that's where you see what's wrong with a product.

"Sound quality is not subjective. Please do not lie to people"
"... people use the word 'subjective' when they really mean the word 'lousy' ~ a camouflage word 'subjective' "
"I only read the bad reviews, because that's how you find out faults. Glowing reviews are usually paid-for promotions or people trying not to feel ripped off by their shopping mistakes."
"Good stereos sound way better than concerts."
"Another thing good to do is use programs like MPC-HC and FFDSHOW and AC3 Filter (all video calibration programs - my edit) so you can add custom not just customized video color and quality of the gamma and stuff, but also can change the sound in a custom way"

I stand corrected - passionate maybe? 

By the way, his main focus is the Koss KEB15i in ear: "The ideal standard has perhaps already been reached with the Koss KEB15i . Maybe it is as close to reality as a headphone can get." The Porta Pro was just a lead in. He goes on trash another person's website and then waxes poetic about the same Koss model in the planar magnetic driver article with a recently banned poster whom I am having a nagging suspicion is the same person. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #687 of 15,268

I haven't quite made it through the whole thing yet (working through his last post lol), but I found myself generally agreeing with most of what he was saying.

"Sound quality is not subjective. Please do not lie to people"
"... people use the word 'subjective' when they really mean the word 'lousy' ~ a camouflage word 'subjective' "

He also said the below which seems to clarify the above quotes:

" You have been convinced that sound quality is 'subjective' and 'a matter of taste'. You are mistaken, because you are confusing quality with preference. It's fine if you prefer to buy vinyl-clad faux leather shoes, but are they of equivalent quality to leather ones? No... they wear out faster, etc. I am dealing in facts, and you are talking about personal preferences. By confusing the two, manufacturers are able to sell you the same scam over and over, always searching for the 'holy grail' in a product class that can never possibly deliver it... like a preamp without an equalizer =))"

By the way, his main focus is the Koss KEB15i in ear: "The ideal standard has perhaps already been reached with the Koss KEB15i . Maybe it is as close to reality as a headphone can get." The Porta Pro was just a lead in. He goes on trash another person's website and then waxes poetic about the same Koss model in the planar magnetic driver article with a recently banned poster whom I am having a nagging suspicion is the same person. 

You might be right about that... but considering how much I like the Sportapros and ksc75's, I think I'm gonna be checking them out lol!

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #688 of 15,268
Well I'll be damned, now I really want to try those Koss KEB15i

edit: I also think he's the Jose of the review of those Koss on amazon.com

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #689 of 15,268
  Well I'll be damned, now I really want to try those Koss KEB15i

edit: I also think he's the Jose of the review of those Koss on amazon.com

I think you're right. Also, for $20 I'm tempted to try them out. I like their form factor, and if they do isolate well and sound OK at least, then they could come in handy for me.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #690 of 15,268
Hey everyone! I have been eyeing these hedphones for a while as my first open pair. I happen to own the ath-m50s, the dt-1350s and the fidelio l1. I only have the dacmagic xs as a dac/amp. I usually dont end up listening neither to the dt 1350 becuase it doesnt have enough braaat! for me nor the fidelio l1 becuase i find its sound to be muffled and therefore fatiguing. The ath-m50s which I end up listening to most of the time have their issues too. I find them cold, bright and a bit too harsh sounding, I cant turn the volume up for that reason, i just wished theyd sound more organic. Now my question is, will the fidelio x2 improve on the areas where the ath-m50 failed for me?

Thank u very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back