Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 26, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #10,096 of 15,268
  The screws are attached to those rings.  I am not talking about the big plastic gray colored screws that the speakers pivot on.  Those are the ones that can't be removed.  Look under the metal ring at the top, right where they are connected to the two metal rods of the head band.  There is pair of tiny nuts under the top side of the ring there and all of the clamping force from the headphones is focused 100% on those two tiny screws.  The metal rods go through those rings and underneath the ring is where the problem screws are.  Its a leverage point and will most certainly come loose on many of these cans over time. 
Many of you guys use different cans for different things.  I am a one can man.  I used these every day, and took them off many times each day.  Less than a year, the left side became loose and that is the side that I grab the cans to remove them.  The right side is still tight because I don't take them off from the right.  I take them off from the left and set them down on top of my computer next to me to my left. 
I'd be willing to bet that with frequent use many of these things come loose. 

Ok, I see which screws you're talking about now.  Mine are still tight.  I could get a pair of small angled needle nose pliers on them (barely) and could possibly tighten them but it would be tricky.  Something like these.. 

I would still recommend using two hands to remove the HPs.  Using one hand like you describe puts unnecessary strain on that section.  Especially the left side that you grab. This is likely why yours came loose.

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #10,097 of 15,268
I tried my x2s straight out my ipod touch 5g last night and the sound was god-awful. I could only manage about 2 min. They may be low impedence but like all headphones they need *some form of amping.

The AK240 drives them splendidly without additional amping and I'm sure other DAPs like the DX50/80/90, Fiio X5 etc will as well. 

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #10,098 of 15,268
Hello guys,

I just received my X2s from Amazon.de (Germany: http://www.amazon.de/Philips-X2-00-Fidelio-Headphone/dp/B00MRUPSHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456503411&sr=8-1&keywords=x2+fidelio) which I bought yesterday for 210€. I read there are a lot of concerns about QA and you should check if you have a Gibson or WOOX product (which one was the better one? WOOX?). Since I cannot figure it out myself because Amazon quit obviously repackaged the X2s into a very old and damaged package, I am sitting in the dark whether I have Gibsons or WOOX. Here some details I found:

- The package states Gibson with Copyright from 2014
- The barcode says "X000FR3L57", don't know if this helps anything
- The product serial number on the outside package says "PY1A1540014212"
- The earpads were really really hard and stiff when I first used the product, now they soften up. The colour is pitch black with a little shiny effect in light
- The headband is slightly textured and does not look damaged or badly made

As for comparison, I have DT990 Pro with 250 Ohms sitting next to me. I am no Hi-Fi expert but I just don't like to have a faulty product. Overall the DT990 seem to sound more "clear" than my X2s, it almost sounds like there is some layer between the earpads and my ears which dampends the sound. Anyone can find out which pair I have?

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #10,099 of 15,268
  Hello guys,

I just received my X2s from Amazon.de (Germany: http://www.amazon.de/Philips-X2-00-Fidelio-Headphone/dp/B00MRUPSHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456503411&sr=8-1&keywords=x2+fidelio) which I bought yesterday for 210€. I read there are a lot of concerns about QA and you should check if you have a Gibson or WOOX product (which one was the better one? WOOX?). Since I cannot figure it out myself because Amazon quit obviously repackaged the X2s into a very old and damaged package, I am sitting in the dark whether I have Gibsons or WOOX. Here some details I found:

- The earpads were really really hard and stiff when I first used the product, now they soften up. The colour is pitch black with a little shiny effect in light

As for comparison, I have DT990 Pro with 250 Ohms sitting next to me. I am no Hi-Fi expert but I just don't like to have a faulty product. Overall the DT990 seem to sound more "clear" than my X2s, it almost sounds like there is some layer between the earpads and my ears which dampends the sound. Anyone can find out which pair I have

I own both and I wholeheartedly prefer the X2's.  Mine were quite boomy out of the box which obscured some of the detail, give'em a good 20 hours or so for the bass to firm up and the treble will smooth out a bit as well. Don't get caught up in "which pair do I have" the differences get severely overblown in this thread.  

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #10,100 of 15,268
Hello guys,

As for comparison, I have DT990 Pro with 250 Ohms sitting next to me. I am no Hi-Fi expert but I just don't like to have a faulty product. Overall the DT990 seem to sound more "clear" than my X2s, it almost sounds like there is some layer between the earpads and my ears which dampends the sound. Anyone can find out which pair I have?

Sound wise all Fidelio X2 should sound the same as far as I've read. The make can be checked by sliding the headband hammock up, and on one side of the plastic band holding the hammock, the name should be visible. Mine has Woox written in relief on the left earcup side.

Cheers

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #10,101 of 15,268
Sound wise all Fidelio X2 should sound the same as far as I've read. The make can be checked by sliding the headband hammock up, and on one side of the plastic band holding the hammock, the name should be visible. Mine has Woox written in relief on the left earcup side.

Cheers

Ah okey, it says WOOX NL5616LZ-400 SFH4. Is this a good sign or could this be one of the versions with QA issues? You say all X2 sound the same no matter when and where they were made... However I read alot that some unit after the manufacturing changes are sounding quite damp... thats why I am scared to have one of these since I described them as damp compared to the DT990

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #10,102 of 15,268
  Ah okey, it says WOOX NL5616LZ-400 SFH4. Is this a good sign or could this be one of the versions with QA issues? You say all X2 sound the same no matter when and where they were made... However I read alot that some unit after the manufacturing changes are sounding quite damp... thats why I am scared to have one of these since I described them as damp compared to the DT990

QA issues best can be identified if you check your earpads. If it is glued, than that's Gibson. If there is no glue, then Woox.
On the heaband it all says Woox. Gibson is written only on the box.
I have got a Woox pair for almost a year, never heard other X2s. But I'd be very much surprised, if there was a huge difference in sound quality.
What is your setup for X2s? Out of phone or laptop they don't sound good. Benefits quite a lot from an amp/quality DAC IMO.
Also give them a good 20-50 hrs of burn in.

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #10,103 of 15,268

990 is overly bright with a hole in the mids. That's why it sounds the way it sounds. It's not an even sounding can, but it is fun now and then. The X2 is much more balanced, but if you're unaware of the difference compared to the 990, one might think what you are saying, that the X2 are not as clear.

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #10,104 of 15,268

QA issues best can be identified if you check your earpads. If it is glued, than that's Gibson. If there is no glue, then Woox.
On the heaband it all says Woox. Gibson is written only on the box.
I have got a Woox pair for almost a year, never heard other X2s. But I'd be very much surprised, if there was a huge difference in sound quality.
What is your setup for X2s? Out of phone or laptop they don't sound good. Benefits quite a lot from an amp/quality DAC IMO.
Also give them a good 20-50 hrs of burn in.

I just tried to remove the earpads, but stopped at one point since I was not sure what will happen... From the sound it made when I tried to take them off, it sounded like its glued. Not really confident to try further things since I maybe send them back if the sound will not "clear up" a little bit.

I am using them with a FiiO E10K Dac/amp on my desktop PC. As of now I just let them run to "burn" them in (if this really helps...), also using a cable from VModa for the Boom Microphone.

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #10,105 of 15,268
  I just tried to remove the earpads, but stopped at one point since I was not sure what will happen... From the sound it made when I tried to take them off, it sounded like its glued. Not really confident to try further things since I maybe send them back if the sound will not "clear up" a little bit.

I am using them with a FiiO E10K Dac/amp on my desktop PC. As of now I just let them run to "burn" them in (if this really helps...), also using a cable from VModa for the Boom Microphone.

What other headphones u use? Or what did u use before u decided to go for the X2s?

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #10,106 of 15,268

If it is glued, than that's Gibson. If there is no glue, then Woox.

This is no longer correct. I received a pair from Amazon in the last few weeks that were Gibson, but had no glue. Presumably these were from the latest batch following Philips announcement.

Sadly I had to return them as they had imbalance bias to the right side that I couldn't live with.

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #10,107 of 15,268

This is no longer correct. I received a pair from Amazon in the last few weeks that were Gibson, but had no glue. Presumably these were from the latest batch following Philips announcement.

Sadly I had to return them as they had imbalance bias to the right side that I couldn't live with.

That's correct. The latest Gibsons won't have glue.
Edit: The earpads from my older Woox pair come off easily and go back easily.

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #10,108 of 15,268
Something that has been on my mind, or should I say ears is the slightly uncontrolled or loose bass. It hits hard and fills nicely but it isn't very tight imo. I was modding my pair MDR Z7s and had a lot of leftover fiber fill. Naturally I stuffed the X2 ear cups, maybe that will tone down the resonances. Though I think I should have laid down some damping material first. I've still got some Spire Soundpad leftover. That said on first impression the seems more coherent, tighter. I'll have to go back and remove it to confirm later, but I wanted to share this and see if others found an improvement especially since it's such a simple mod.

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #10,109 of 15,268
  Something that has been on my mind, or should I say ears is the slightly uncontrolled or loose bass. It hits hard and fills nicely but it isn't very tight imo. I was modding my pair MDR Z7s and had a lot of leftover fiber fill. Naturally I stuffed the X2 ear cups, maybe that will tone down the resonances. Though I think I should have laid down some damping material first. I've still got some Spire Soundpad leftover. That said on first impression the seems more coherent, tighter. I'll have to go back and remove it to confirm later, but I wanted to share this and see if others found an improvement especially since it's such a simple mod.

Seems to be an interesting sub-hobby.
I'd still rather go for a pair of X00s. I am quite sceptical with moddings.
But your ears are all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back