Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 21, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #4,246 of 15,268
I wonder what happens if you keep a new pair of sneakers pressed against white paper for 48 hours (just saying).

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #4,247 of 15,268
  I wonder what happens if you keep a new pair of sneakers pressed against white paper for 48 hours (just saying).

Really??

Probably doesn't do that. Also I don't wear sneakers on my face (just saying).

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #4,248 of 15,268

Really??

Probably doesn't do that. Also I don't wear sneakers on my face (just saying).

I'm still curious though. 

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #4,249 of 15,268
Eventually you will probably be able to wash it all out. The problem is that this seems to be more oil-soluble than water-soluble, as organic dyes are (as opposed to the less toxic food coloring type dyes). Are you just using plain water? A little dish soap should help. Keep in mind you may end up with a different or not uniformly colored pad after this process. I don't know if this is a big deal or not, but I personally would find it very annoying. Too bad I don't have a pair, I could extract some of the dye and run it through GC/MS at work and tell you what it's molecular structure is. That would probably go a long way towards answering how much of a problem this is. I just wouldn't like my stuff getting stained up anyway. Does it wash off the paper or is permanently absorbed?

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #4,250 of 15,268
The ink seem to leak more and more on mine, unfortunately.

Quote:
  Alright, tested leather pads with the X2, cannot recommend. Extremely hard to get on and the sound becomes dark and hollow.

Thank you for letting us know.
Too bad i really wanted that dark red leather pads to sound good...
I'll probably end this alien madness by ordering HM5 velour pads, unless washing them in a certain way work. 

Even with this problem, I'm still very happy about the sound quality, to those wondering if it's still worth it to get the X2, I'll probably buy it again. :wink:

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #4,251 of 15,268
Long time lurker, first time poster. Anytime I am looking to upgrade my gear, this forum is always my first stop. Anyway, Thanks to you guys, I have a pair of X2's on their way. I was looking for a replacement for HD595's and thought the natural upgrade path would either be the 600 or 650. So, I was reading forums talking about those two HPs and I ran across someone recommending the X2s. Well, I knew I wanted to pul the trigger after reading half this thread and the review by @Baycode. Went on Amazon and of course they are sold out and have a wait period of like three or four weeks. On a whim I hit the used and warehouse deals has a pair where the packaging is damaged but everything else is ok. I went for it it and they should be arriving Tuesday. However, after reading the rest of the thread and seeing some of the issues people have had with receiving some shady HPs from Amazon, I'm getting a little worried. Since I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to gear, other then listening to them for obvious defects, are there any other tests I should run to check them out other then the ink blotch test? :wink:

In case it matters, I've already ordered a shorter cable for these(not that it matters much as I just wanted something shorter) and the source will be my eClaro sound card.

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #4,253 of 15,268
Has anyone compared these to the hd598s? I haven't heard the hd600 or hd650s myself, so references to those don't mean as much. Are the fidelio x2's as airy with treble extended as much as the hd598s? I don't like a laid back sound and like sparkly treble, but hoping to find an open pair of cans that accomplishes that as well as retains a little bass at the same time. I need a pair that I can be halfway mobile with around the house (apartment life) so they need to run off my phone. They'll see some desktop use with a magni/little dot 1+ though.

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #4,254 of 15,268
@socks mk2 Your post was the one that got me worried the most. Based on your feedback, I've already ordered the KabelDirekt aftermarket cable. I'll replicate what you did to test it. Crossing my fingers I'm getting one that doesn't have any issues.

Thanks.

Ps. This place is dangerous to ones wallet. Based on recommendation here, I've also ordered a new portable DAC/Amp combo to take to the office and on trips.

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #4,259 of 15,268
It's praised everywhere, no reason to work on a second version. 
They probably wish they had priced it a bit higher.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #4,260 of 15,268
It's a small factory, so the production capacity is limited. Also, they are selling a quite bit faster than anticipated (I guess). 

I got this document from Philips, which describes all the substances used in production: http://www.woox.com/en/about-us-site/Documents/WOOX_RSL.pdf 

I do not have a chemical background, so I can't say anything about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back