Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 4, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #2,971 of 15,268
If I was getting a closed headphone, I'd personally would put my money on the Shure 1540. That's just me though.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #2,972 of 15,268
I've got the xl pads actually, haha. The m100s are punchy and fun to listen to, but don't really extend any deeper than the 650s, which is why I'm looking for something like the x2 or he400. Honestly, I'm pretty sold on the x2 though and will probably pick one up on amazon once they're back in stock.

MLE: how do the shures compare to the x2 purely sound wise? 

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #2,973 of 15,268
  I've got the xl pads actually, haha. The m100s are punchy and fun to listen to, but don't really extend any deeper than the 650s, which is why I'm looking for something like the x2 or he400. Honestly, I'm pretty sold on the x2 though and will probably pick one up on amazon once they're back in stock.

Well, looks like you are more an expert than I am.
beerchug.gif
I usually only deal with IEMs lol

Great, we are looking forward to your comparison between the x2 and your almighty HD650 then ;D

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #2,974 of 15,268

MLE: how do the shures compare to the x2 purely sound wise? 

Oh, i haven't heard the 1540s. Just saying all I've read of them and reviews, graphs, tell me I need those in my life if/when I need a closed headphone. In fact, the graphs look a LOT like the X1 graphs.

Just not at $500 though. The TH600 is an alternative as well, considering how the D7000 has been my fave closed headphone since forever.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #2,975 of 15,268
Ah, I see. I didn't realize the hefty price tag of the shures either. 300 bucks is the most I'm willing to stretch my budget at this point, so I think I'm just going to go for the x2s when my next paycheck comes in. 
smile.gif

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #2,976 of 15,268
  Wow, wasn't expecting this. The x2s are looking like a solid choice.
Any suggestions? I haven't had much experience with closed back cans. I have a pair of vmoda m100s but the only time they get head time is when I'm at the library studying since they're so portable, but the 650 is on a completely different level. I've heard good things about the mad dogs, but I'm hesitant to try them due to the restocking fee on returns.

Of course that's just my opinion. The HE-400 is a great headphone if you like bass and treble. To my ears, they are very V shaped in their sound. I don't like that at all. I prefer mids over all and that's why I love the X2. They have plenty of bass, awesome mids, and enough highs with lots of detail and great sound stage.

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #2,977 of 15,268
Do you guys find the x2 a bit slow? I am finding it smears metal and other fast genres a bit. Is it just my ears or are other hearing this too?

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #2,978 of 15,268
That's the downside of the 2 vs. 1 according to Tyll's measurements on impulse response... though those measurements are never perfect :wink:. I found the X1's pretty quick though, considering the thicker sound. My Q701's beat them, I'm sure.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #2,979 of 15,268
I still wonder how these would be priced if Sennheiser sold them as HD750, successor to HD650. No less than USD 799, I assume and maybe even more, considering how HD700 and IE800 are more expensive and yet so disappointing compared to rivals in the price range. X2 is a lot better than HD700 and also much more refined.

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #2,980 of 15,268
  That's the downside of the 2 vs. 1 according to Tyll's measurements on impulse response... though those measurements are never perfect :wink:. I found the X1's pretty quick though, considering the thicker sound. My Q701's beat them, I'm sure.

I watched the X1 video on youtube and the person said the X1 is not good for metal genres 'cuz it's slow. someone also on amazon US and UK mention that that X1 is not aggressive and slow. I'm still reading about X1 and X2 as I'm thinking about one of these to get but I have no idea which one is good for fast paced music. the X1 is selling for around $190 at amazon (used like new) condition.

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #2,981 of 15,268
I'd agree with those reviews - maybe go for the Massdrop AKG K7XX in that case or similar. That is one main factor why I don't understand the hype on these cans. Another is the awful bass bloat, and the last is the lack of clarity. I hear more of a veil in X1's than any other mid-fi can I've tried.

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #2,982 of 15,268
Aint no bass bloat on mine now... Clarity is a bit of an issue. But nothing to scoff about, the X2's are breaking in nicely. Im going to take mine in and do a head to head against some HD600's once my HP amp arrives. Ive been looking for an "All round headphone" for quite sometime. These seem to do alot of things nicely. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #2,983 of 15,268
Thanks for the suggestions, but I've tried both of the above and unfortunately they're both too uncomfortable for me to wear. The momentum's earcups are too small and the urbanites clamp too hard and I can only wear them for at most an hour at a time. Also, the momentum and urbanite aren't quite at the hd650/x2 level in terms of audio fidelity. Although I'm looking for a bassier headphone than the 650, I'd like it to sound better than a portable can since I'm only going to be using it at home-- I've got the m100 for portable use already, and I didn't like the momentum or urbanite more than the m100.
The best closed headphone I've heard is the Focal Spirit classic. It goes well with the HD650 since it's mids are absolutely stunning! The bass os deep, strong it's on the warmer side of neutral. I also owned the 1540 but found them good sounding but it doesn't sound like it's price. A bit U shaped with slightly loose bass. It had good air too and a decent stage especially in Dolby Headphone. I think the classic is better hands down!

The HD650 sounds more refined than the X2 but the X2 has a bit more of a balance because the HD650 is rolled off a bit. I did notice the X2 to lean to a U shaped sound but ever so slightly, I'm not picking really. At the end of the day no matter the technical abilities, it's preference. Want a headphone that doesn't do anything amazing but does everything well? X2 is a contender.

If I didn't have the Annie, which sounds more linear and more neutral to my ears in terms of it's overall balance. the X2 will have a place in my current collection. Still considering it again to try with that Vali.

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #2,985 of 15,268
I wouldn't use dark to mention either of them but out the the two the X2 is more, erm say cleaned up in treble. They are not as grainy as the X1. If you want a darker headphone then look elsewhere. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back