Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 16, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #1,711 of 15,268
  I got the Meridian Explorer2 today. I can say it's quite an improvement to laptop/phone sound. Not that X2s don't sound good from laptop/phone, they sound great. But from Meridian Explorer2, they sound amazing.

I had volume level problems with laptop/phone for some albums (for instance Dr. Dre's 2001 or some vinyl rips). It wasn't loud enough. Explorer2 solved that too. It's quite an impressive dac/amp.

Sounds promising. With which laptop and phone are you comparing?

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #1,714 of 15,268

Sounds promising. With which laptop and phone are you comparing?

Samsung Ativ 9, Macbook Pro 2012, Macbook Pro 2014. iPhone 6, Sony Z1 Compact, iPad Air 2.

Macbook Pro 2012 sounds terrible with X2 (well amp/dac of that laptop sucks anyway). Ativ 9 and MBP 2014 sounds very good, just like iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. Explorer2 sounds a lot better than all though. Not just volume level... Bass impact is better, highs are more extended, any hint of harshness is now gone (for those with sensitive ears), the sound is clearer, soundstage is wider and stereo separation is a lot better. If you like Meridian house sound, you'll like Explorer 2 (natural, smooth, fluid, lifelike sound).

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #1,715 of 15,268
  So, i have a question. I didn't get a chance to audition the X2 but i did audition the X1 for a short time. What i get from the X1 is a very meaty bass and a bit boomy that covers the midrange which i don't really like.
I owned Senn HD 558 and looking to upgrade to another open headphone with similar character (not HD 600/650). I use HP for non-competitive gaming and music of almost all kind.
X2 seems to be perfect but will it have that same meaty bass as the X1? I read that it is less meaty and more controlled with a more inline midrange, is it? Will the X2 be a good upgrade?

X2 sounds very balanced, the midrange is perfectly clear. The midbass seems a little bit boosted compared to a K701 for example but nowhere near as a HD650.

Because TH900 kills any headphone in terms of bass, that's why. Quality+quantity.

wow, that killer must be impressive.

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #1,716 of 15,268
  X2 sounds very balanced, the midrange is perfectly clear. The midbass seems a little bit boosted compared to a K701 for example but nowhere near as a HD650.

wow, that killer must be impressive.

It is. See this vid below.

I may buy one if it someday falls below USD 1.000. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #1,717 of 15,268
That's the reason I loved the Denon D7000 so much. The bass was just, unlike anything I've heard before or after (seriously, other than the other Fostex/Denons, nothing comes close to having that sensation of the D7000's bass). The sub bass was intoxicating. I cried when it got discontinued.

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #1,718 of 15,268
That's the reason I loved the Denon D7000 so much. The bass was just, unlike anything I've heard before or after (seriously, other than the other Fostex/Denons, nothing comes close to having that sensation of the D7000's bass). The sub bass was intoxicating. I cried when it got discontinued.

Are the differences between the X1/X2 immediately noticeable? Like if you were put in a blind test with both could you recognise the difference or is it just subtle?

I want to get the X2s but worry about the bass if its less "meaty" than its predecessor as has been commonly noted.

Are the X2s as articulate and rich as the D5000s?

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #1,719 of 15,268
  Samsung Ativ 9, Macbook Pro 2012, Macbook Pro 2014. iPhone 6, Sony Z1 Compact, iPad Air 2.

Macbook Pro 2012 sounds terrible with X2 (well amp/dac of that laptop sucks anyway). Ativ 9 and MBP 2014 sounds very good, just like iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. Explorer2 sounds a lot better than all though. Not just volume level... Bass impact is better, highs are more extended, any hint of harshness is now gone (for those with sensitive ears), the sound is clearer, soundstage is wider and stereo separation is a lot better. If you like Meridian house sound, you'll like Explorer 2 (natural, smooth, fluid, lifelike sound).

Sounds good. Good to know you like it much better than the MBP 2012 and the Iphone 6, which I also have. I have no clue about the Meridian house sound - never auditioned anything Meridian yet.

Does anyone here have experience driving the X2 with an LH Geek Out 450 or 1000? I'm a bit undecided between LH Geek or the Explorer2...

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #1,720 of 15,268
I am really on the fence about the X2 here 
confused_face(1).gif

So it's toward neutral huh... i think i am getting a bit too used to the open sound of HD 558 that i found the X1 to be too big on bass...

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #1,724 of 15,268
  Is it normal for bass/sub bass to lessen with use? Just passed 150 hours on the X2 and bass has lost some slam and extension.

Mine have hit about 400 hours, and I was wondering the same thing.  Unfortunately, any report of this is based on memory, unless one has done before and after measurements.  Anyway, I thought I experienced a slight reduction, but then I tried a few songs I use to test the bass, and it still seems to be there.  So maybe it's that mids (upper mids, esp.) are opening up more, and that gives the impression that there's a slight reduction in bass.

Just a thought.  FWIW, I've been experimenting with pads (stock and HM5), so my memory is likely confused and biased 
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #1,725 of 15,268

So, not to get to far afield, but you like the 558 over the X1?

Hmmm, I do. But only because of the bass on X1 is not to my taste, when i auditioned it i can hear how the bass is quite special for an open headphone, it's very meaty and there is this slight boomy feeling to it, in comparison the 558 is leaner and tighter, definitely lacking in impact and quantity .
Overall i can hear the sound signature of an open headphone on X1 and i quite like the extra clarity i get from it. It was a short audition so i can't really say much about it.

so, i read the reviews out there, especially the one from ttyl and headfonia. If i interpret this right then X2 would be a perfect upgrade from 558. It got better low, mid, and highs than 558 with tighter and leaner bass body and less recessed mid than X1 while maintaining smooth non-fatiguing sound. Hopefully a better sound stage size and imaging too than 558.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back