Philips Fidelio X2 Defects on Amazon
Apr 16, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #227 of 250
I've directly compared the woox and Gibson models and the woox have the signature bass response that's more intense. The old models are a bit edgier in the treble too, ever so slightly v-shaped compared to Gibson ones, shoot maybe the Gibson models are more neutral... They remind me more of the hd600.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #229 of 250
I've directly compared the woox and Gibson models and the woox have the signature bass response that's more intense. The old models are a bit edgier in the treble too, ever so slightly v-shaped compared to Gibson ones, shoot maybe the Gibson models are more neutral... They remind me more of the hd600.

Planning on purchasing a pair. How will I know if I have a good pair or not? I thought the "better"/ less defect pairs were the Woox manufactured ones? Also, aren't the drivers made the same for Woox and Gibson models?

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #230 of 250
Planning on purchasing a pair. How will I know if I have a good pair or not? I thought the "better"/ less defect pairs were the Woox manufactured ones? Also, aren't the drivers made the same for Woox and Gibson models?

Not to be a smart-azz, but I think it's as simple as: you'll know if you have a good pair if they sound good to you. I think the hype train about problems spun a little bit out of control. There WERE definitely some small batch issues as they switched part of the process and some glue appeared on earpads...but this seemed to spiral into a global pandemic mentality. It appears to have been addressed by Philips and corrected early.

There is no good/not good on new pairs today. Who knows what you'd get if you rummage through the used bin on Amazon. I got a used pair that was Gibson and had glue and they sounded incredible.

If you buy new (especially from Amazon) you should have zero to worry about, and can send right back if you're not happy.

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #231 of 250
ok this is a revelation but read on folks..: before i wanted to send the headphones back (tomorrow), i did some listing again right now. without the post from starling2k stating to adjust the earpads (which i did not do cause i was afraid to break something) i would have sent the box back without opening it again. suprisingly it seems the last time i tested them (see my post in this thread not long ago) i was so fixated on my "optimal sounding" x1 headphones that all i could do was do just view the x2 in a bad way. all they do is sound different. by looking at the x2 in a bad way i also convinced myself it sounded worse (less detail), which is NOT the case. in fact with equalizer i can reproduce the signature of the x1 to a great degree by lifting mids and highs a bit (no i will not be doing that).

oh well seems i'm gonna keep em after all, they seem superb after all.

amazing how so much of us humans is just psychology. i really fooled myself. may make other people think as well. glad i get to keep my x2.

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #232 of 250
Hello CDBEE

Yes, I agree with what you did.  I think you might have been expecting a more V shaped sound from the X2s with a little more bottom end and a little more top end.  It is always amazing to me how different headphones can sound different but after listening for a while, you become accustomed to that sound and consider it superior.  I really think that if you put the X2s on a scope and analyzed them you would find they are basically neutral or flat (straight out of the box with maybe some burn in time).  The X1s have a slightly different sound but not to a great degree unless you really got a "real" bad set.  I think the high sounds are better on the X1s but that is just my preference - the X2 might be more accurate to the true music source.  Music sound is good according to how you like to hear it.  That's why there are people who love  huge amounts of bass and others who don't.

I'm glad you posted back on this.  I think I just did some minor changes to mine that made them sound what is more pleasing to me - it may not be the same pleasure to someone else.
Anyway, I'm glad you're happy.   By the way, I really can't say that I like the X2 or X1 better.  On different days and perhaps even on different music, I like one better than the other.

Thanks

May 23, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #233 of 250
Not to be a smart-azz, but I think it's as simple as: you'll know if you have a good pair if they sound good to you. I think the hype train about problems spun a little bit out of control. There WERE definitely some small batch issues as they switched part of the process and some glue appeared on earpads...but this seemed to spiral into a global pandemic mentality. It appears to have been addressed by Philips and corrected early.

There is no good/not good on new pairs today. Who knows what you'd get if you rummage through the used bin on Amazon. I got a used pair that was Gibson and had glue and they sounded incredible.

If you buy new (especially from Amazon) you should have zero to worry about, and can send right back if you're not happy.

Just afraid I might get a bad pair, what might sound good to me may not be up to par with someone that has a good pair.

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #234 of 250
I'm debating between these and the ATH-AD900x.  I found those for 115$ new, so I have them coming.  I'm thinking of getting a pair of the X2's from amazon used (~180) to compare and just see.  Anybody already tried these two and can comment?

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #235 of 250
amazing how so much of us humans is just psychology. i really fooled myself. may make other people think as well. glad i get to keep my x2.

Yep. Now you understand why the objectivists on the forum tell us that we can't trust our hearing when we decide that two DACs, amps, cables, etc. that measure audibly transparent sound different to us. So many types of bias: http://www.businessinsider.com/cognitive-biases-that-affect-decisions-2015-8

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #236 of 250
I managed to snag an OG WOOX model a couple of days ago, at a discounted price.
Arrived today. Removable earpads! Non-chipping rings! And the right side is louder by approx. 4dB 
frown.gif

Oh, well I will give these a second shot. Will post back.
Even WOOX had bad apples apparently 
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #237 of 250
What I'd really like to know is whether:
1. only the x2s with glued earpads have sound quality issues, or if there are unglued x2s that also have SQ issues
2. all x2 with glued earpads have sound quality issues, or if only some of them do.

Basically how do I know if I have an X2 with SQ issues if I don't have another "good" x2 to compare with.

Just putting it out there in case someone somehow knows, or sees a solid trend.
Thx!
Well I had a wood pair from release and had an x1 too, sold both sadly because I needed the money. Now I again ordered a pair of x2 and got the Gibson version which is basically the official new version now. I also bought a pair of woox in Italy because they where half the price of the Amazon pair and so that I could compare both. 1. Woox started the glueing, both versions are glued, it's no qc issue just a money saving process for them that sadly will be on all x2 from now on, but that's not as important as sound to me and soundwise their are the exact same goodness smoothness fullness richness clearness with big stage and imaging I knew and favored over the hd650 personally. Only the new Gibson has new pads that I really didn't like as much as woox pads but they are still good pads, no discomfort.
Regards Michele

Jul 16, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #238 of 250
I have no comment,I've tried to remove the pads,i helped myself with the thumb and this is the result,so 230 euro of headphones are damaged,only because i wanted to remove the ''''removable''''' pads!!!!!The cone is mashed in a point, I post image to let you see

What should i do? with sinegen at low and medium volume I didn't notice anything,at high volume the cup begins to vibrate and make an orrible vibrating  noise under 50hz
I will never buy another philips hedphones,NEVER,a membrane that there aren't not even repleacable,and if someone only pick the headphone from the cup he damages irreversibly the pair. I'm so angry!!!!!!!!!!!!
How much it costs to me for repair the damaged cone for you?

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #239 of 250
  I have no comment,I've tried to remove the pads,i helped myself with the thumb and this is the result,so 230 euro of headphones are damaged,only because i wanted to remove the ''''removable''''' pads!!!!!The cone is mashed in a point, I post image to let you see

What should i do? with sinegen at low and medium volume I didn't notice anything,at high volume the cup begins to vibrate and make an orrible vibrating  noise under 50hz
I will never buy another philips hedphones,NEVER,a membrane that there aren't not even repleacable,and if someone only pick the headphone from the cup he damages irreversibly the pair. I'm so angry!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you bought from Amazon, you can return this and get a refund. I bought mine from Amazon and got the most recent one - Gibson with removable earpads.
Judging by your experience, this is not the most recent version [Feb+] and that means it is older than that.
Bad luck :/

Jul 17, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #240 of 250

If you bought from Amazon, you can return this and get a refund. I bought mine from Amazon and got the most recent one - Gibson with removable earpads.
Judging by your experience, this is not the most recent version [Feb+] and that means it is older than that.
Bad luck :/

I don't know that now all pads are really detachable :/ I've bought from Amazon, but why they could refund me? I damaged the headphone, even if they are defective :frowning2::frowning2:
Should I contact amazon or Philips? Can amazon help with no warranty?

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back