Philips Fidelio X2 Defects on Amazon
Jan 4, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #168 of 250
So do all these replacement pads have the four holes and guide pin? I see one style does but pretty pricey. Otherwise on the others I assume you are poking holes in the pad and having to glue them on.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #169 of 250
So do all these replacement pads have the four holes and guide pin? I see one style does but pretty pricey. Otherwise on the others I assume you are poking holes in the pad and having to glue them on.

The Bass Plus pads from eBay have the mounting holes and it's been speculated that they're produced in the same factory as the originals.  Personally, I want as few things from that factory as possible... :p

The HM5 pads (both pleather and velour) need to be stretched over the brim of the earcup.  It's a tight squeeze but lots of people have done it.  Baycode has a description in this review, but I think this user put it best.

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #171 of 250
Hi, John.

I also have all the cans you listed except the ath-m40x. Well, it's really hard to recommend a new set of cans because there's so much user preference involved. Something I like may not work for your ears or music at all.

Having said that, I also find the HiFiMan HE-500 to be really special. It's a really fluid,.warm, but transparent sound. I think out of all the cans I own, it's right there at the top of my list.

I haven't used my HE-400i to burn it in or form an opinion yet, but it has a more analytical sound than the HE-500 so far. You might like that better than the HE-500. Or not.

I'd say the HE-500 has a luscious, organic sound, which I love. So I'd recommend that with the caveat that you may have totally different preferences than me!

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #172 of 250
My X2s ordered from Amazon in late October had glued pads, pads leaking dye and the metallic finish around the wheel where the branding was chipping/flaking off after just 2 weeks of ownership.

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #174 of 250

Congrats, you got the Holy Trinity version.

Yeah, I actually did not want to return them to Amazon US as I am in Canada and I wanted to try and keep the headphones so I contacted Philips US support instead. My case has been open since early November and I have yet to get a replacement unit or a refund from them even though I was promised one multiple times. Pretty gross stuff.

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #175 of 250
  Yeah, I actually did not want to return them to Amazon US as I am in Canada and I wanted to try and keep the headphones so I contacted Philips US support instead. My case has been open since early November and I have yet to get a replacement unit or a refund from them even though I was promised one multiple times. Pretty gross stuff.

Sorry to hear that, though it doesn't surprise me.  You'll get a replacement eventually, I'm certain, but you can expect some/all/different issues with those.. this headphone is about finding a level of suck that you're willing to put up with.

Keep pestering Philips, and best of luck.

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #176 of 250
Hope you can keep us posted k4rstar, I was really hoping Philips would improve their customer service when I started with the X1s. I'd been really glad X2 improved a lot of aspects of the former, but hearing about these things is kinda disappointing... I remember having mailed them for information about their pads when I bought the X1s, haven't replied ever since (this was 2 years ago). Nonetheless best of luck !

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #177 of 250
I apparently hit the lottery.  Ordered from AWD for $142 on 12/22, set was "packaging may be damaged" no mention of cosmetic issues.  Box = WOOX, no glue, and all appearance match WOOX, so I must have gotten a legit (pre-Gibson) pair.

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #178 of 250
  Hope you can keep us posted k4rstar, I was really hoping Philips would improve their customer service when I started with the X1s. I'd been really glad X2 improved a lot of aspects of the former, but hearing about these things is kinda disappointing... I remember having mailed them for information about their pads when I bought the X1s, haven't replied ever since (this was 2 years ago). Nonetheless best of luck !

Well to give a timeline of events if you're interested:

Nov. 12 - First contact with Philips over phone, described issue with the earpads leaking dye as that was my biggest concern since my desk top is white, rep sends me an email asking for proof of purchase so I can get a replacement. I send the Amazon invoice immediately and then hang up.

Nov. 19 - It's now been a week and I get another email from Philips that was identical to the first one, turns out their system bugged or something and they never got the original invoice even though I sent it. Sent it in again and after an apology I was assured the invoice was verified and the replacement request was forwarded.

Nov. 26 - Was supposed to get a call or email back by now with the details of the replacement incl. a tracking number. No such thing. Call back multiple times in the next week to have reps with varying levels of English speaking proficiency ensure  me that my replacement was already sent out and I would hear back soon.

Dec. 10 - Practically forgot about the case by now, still no email communication from Philips. Get a phone call from a private number in the afternoon from someone who claims to be executive support or whatever, basically whoever has the job of cleaning up cases still open for whatever reason. She explains that there was a mix up and they don't do replacements to Canada, instead offers a cheque for the full amount I paid on the invoice and I could keep the headphones. Okay, cool, fine with me. She says I'll have the cheque in two weeks and she would even have someone call back in two weeks to ensure I had received it.

Dec. 24 - It's been two weeks and no cheque, not even the promised phone call. End up having to call again and start from scratch explaining everything to a new rep. He ensures me he would talk to the email team who is in charge of these things personally and see what happened to the case. This was the day before Christmas however so I didn't expect to hear back anytime soon but...

Dec. 28 - No email from the rep who promised to "personally" look into the case for me and follow up. I called again and actually happened to get the same rep. He apologized and used the holidays as an excuse, okay whatever. Screenshot of the exact email I got on the 28th from him: http://i.imgur.com/gYRTJAC.png This was only after calling again of course.
Present day - Pretty much just counting down the days until this two week cycle is up, probably going to round up as many emails of executive Philips employees and describe the case to them from the beginning and see if they give enough of a **** to fix this.

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #179 of 250
Wah...that really sucks :frowning2:. Seems some things never change... and I personally think it's such a shame! Chose them for the outstanding build quality (at this point we're probably both thinking about the chassis and the driver coverage), comfort and pleasant sound even when underamped. Sadly the pads being non-replaceable easily became an irritating concern for me in a while (was quite decided on keeping them anyway, but if you want something else, how are you supposed to sell these and on top of that why would you use such high quality mats but never think about replaceable pads?).
To keep it short, I've encountered the same issue you described with the dye on the X1s, it was leaking sometimes- you'd easily notice if you left them on a table or a sheet of paper as I did quite often when studying (hopefully not on my ears :D, or at least I didn't seem to find any spot). I'd bought them from Saturn, and the rep was quite set on tenuously suggesting me I'd never get him to accept a refund, unless there is physical damage inside the driver case. At least the dye issue sort of worn out I reckon, it had been occuring for a short timespan before I stopped noticing anything.So yeah, I remember sending an e-mail not long after getting them, to get some clarification regarding spare pads and warranty.
Quite some time forward and nothing. Now moving on, saw X2s getting launched. And hearing so many pleasant reviews on the X2s quickly piqued my interest. 
I guess this is why you need to get your schiit together when it comes to offering service, because in the end, no matter how good the product is, treating people poorly won't get you any profit. 

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #180 of 250
Hello,

I recently purchased the Fidelio X2s and they are supposed to have to feature of replaceable ear pads that clip off the ear piece. However my pads have been glued on. When I took one off, there was glue all over the clips. And when I put the pad back on, it's not very secure. It doesn't really "clip". I guess that's what the glue was for? And as for the other ear piece, I can't even take it off cause there is so much glue.

There have been a lot of these glue issues recently I have read. See recent amazon reviews for the Fidelio X2 

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X2-27-...R1KKDLZV436V36

I'm mainly concerned if the headphones could be fakes or if this is just a mistake with glue being put on the clips when it wasn't supposed to be there. I have watched reviews and unboxings on YouTube and for sure there is not supposed to be glue there.

Could they be fake? If so, how can I return them and make sure to get legit ones with proper construction? 

Thanks for any help.

Hi pn17!
Welcome to the Philips Support Forum!
I am so happy that you reached out to us about this. There is a misconception about the glue. I have been informed that once they leave the factory they indeed are glued and then you simply break this “seal” and are able to change them!
So as far as the information that I have received stretches, your X2s are not fake but this is normal.
Happy new year filled with awesome music form your X2s!
Many regards,
Philips - Katerina

i got this off the Philips forums

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?22146-Fidelio-X2-Glued-on-Ear-Pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back