Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Nov 24, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #484 of 1,061
They're on my head now. So far so good.
First test album: Visual Audio Sensory Theater

EDIT: They sound absolutely fantastic... but the bass still doesn't seem to have the punch I was expecting. Everyone says these phones will "satisfy even the bassheads" but so far I don't think thats really true. Then again, I've only been using them for 15 minutes  lol
However, the bass is a bit better than the HD558's I tried earlier this month.

Maybe my AV Reciever as the source (as I went over a few pages ago) isn't amping them enough? Might have to look into a DAC/AMP? Or just keep breaking them in?

EDIT2: Tone Control on my Receiver has an option to increase Treble and Bass, adding +5dB to Bass helps a good bit for me taste.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #485 of 1,061
Bass will not change that much in my experience even when amped, it's not a basshead can, it's warm and balanced but won't satisfy who wants elevated bass

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #486 of 1,061
  Bass will not change that much in my experience even when amped, it's not a basshead can, it's warm and balanced but won't satisfy who wants elevated bass

I guess not. Just the reviews all say "will satisfy bassheads." But I guess they really mean "audiophiles who like bass." Which is fair. I guess I was almost expecting a closed-can level of bass, which seem to not really be possible, physically.
I'm quite satisfied with them, EQing the bass up is good enough for me really.

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #487 of 1,061
  I guess not. Just the reviews all say "will satisfy bassheads." But I guess they really mean "audiophiles who like bass." Which is fair. I guess I was almost expecting a closed-can level of bass, which seem to not really be possible, physically.
I'm quite satisfied with them, EQing the bass up is good enough for me really.

I've heard it changes over time and it'll become a better bass after a while.  I like bass myself as well, but I think these headphones do a great job. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #489 of 1,061
  Yeah the more I listen to them, the more I like them. The InnerFidelity review was right, its like everything is accentuated. Every bit of sound is so clear and has its own pop.

That's great to hear.  One of the reasons I decided to upgrade from my ATH-M50s is that they sound a bit crowded/congested.  The treble in particular has a tendency to overpower the mids to my ears (it probably doesn't help that I use an Emotiva XDA-2, which adds some sparkle). I look forward to hearing the X2s for myself tomorrow.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #490 of 1,061
  That's great to hear.  One of the reasons I decided to upgrade from my ATH-M50s is that they sound a bit crowded/congested.  The treble in particular has a tendency to overpower the mids to my ears (it probably doesn't help that I use an Emotiva XDA-2, which adds some sparkle). I look forward to hearing the X2s for myself tomorrow.

The X2's should be really good for you.  Your M50s were a closed type, thus the sound stage was a lot narrower.  I think you'll be happy. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #491 of 1,061

The X2's should be really good for you.  Your M50s were a closed type, thus the sound stage was a lot narrower.  I think you'll be happy. 

My first pair were M50s, had them for 4 years now and the headband leather is coming off, but sound is still great.

Moved to X1s for a little while and then X2s now.

You just can't compare the X2 to M50s, it's just not fair and on a different spectrum. :D

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #492 of 1,061
  My first pair were M50s, had them for 4 years now and the headband leather is coming off, but sound is still great.

Moved to X1s for a little while and then X2s now.

You just can't compare the X2 to M50s, it's just not fair and on a different spectrum. :D

Of course.  I was just letting you know that you should expect them to be excellent.  But you knew that already, so what am I doing here? : P

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #494 of 1,061
  I have to say this, wearing the X2s will kind of spoil you and leave you a tad disappointed with some other over ears in terms of comfort.

They're plush marshmallows out of the box--plush to the point where I've never really put anything like that on my ears.

Much better than HiFiMan velour pads, and equally matched if not arguably more comfortable IME than Beyer's. 

I know exactly the feeling.  You put them on and they just feel so...  Good!  There's simply no other way to describe it!  Just... bliss!  I was really impressed.  I'll make a few review later though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back