Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Jul 29, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #901 of 1,061
Thanks for a great review @Baycode,

I have seen in other threads that you also own a Topping NX1. Would you say it's a good amp for the X2?

My source would be an iPad mini 2 and a Sansa Fuze. I've been considering buying a $70 Massdrop O2 amp, but have a feeling it's a bit overkill for these supposedly easy to drive phones.

I'm mainly looking, besides an analog volume control, for controlled bass and unobtrusive highs.

Any input highly appreciated!
The cheapest way to go is downloading the IOS Relisten app for your iPad mini, more you don't need with your X2.
Thanks for your advice, but I mainly listen to streaming music (Spotify and Google Music) on the iPad and flacs on my Sansa.

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #903 of 1,061

I have seen in other threads that you also own a Topping NX1. Would you say it's a good amp for the X2?

My source would be an iPad mini 2 and a Sansa Fuze. I've been considering buying a $70 Massdrop O2 amp, but have a feeling it's a bit overkill for these supposedly easy to drive phones.

I'm mainly looking, besides an analog volume control, for controlled bass and unobtrusive highs.

Thanks for compliments comrade_ix :)

NX1 didn't add anything to the sound of X2 ( IMO). I also prefer tube amps over the SS for X2 (YMMW).

If you have Sansa Fuze you're lucky because it has a very special synergy with X2. You wont need an amp with this pairing. My Fuze is rockboxed if it makes sense... IMo, Fuze is one of the greatest DAP's when paired directly with X2. Dont get me wrong, normally I dont prefer to use Fuze as a DAP these days but sonething is very special between the two :wink:

I never use NX1 for X2, with none of my sources...

Hope this helps.

Cheers :wink:

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #904 of 1,061

Thanks for compliments comrade_ix :)

NX1 didn't add anything to the sound of X2 ( IMO). I also prefer tube amps over the SS for X2 (YMMW).

If you have Sansa Fuze you're lucky because it has a very special synergy with X2. You wont need an amp with this pairing. My Fuze is rockboxed if it makes sense... IMo, Fuze is one of the greatest DAP's when paired directly with X2. Dont get me wrong, normally I dont prefer to use Fuze as a DAP these days but sonething is very special between the two :wink:

I never use NX1 for X2, with none of my sources...

Hope this helps.

Cheers :wink:
Helps a lot, thank you!

I saw your comment earlier about the synergy between the Fuze and X2, and thought it might be the surprisingly low output impedance of the Fuze that caused the "magic" (especially since many X2 owners also praise the O2 and Magni, low impedance amps as well). That's why I thought that the NX1, with its less than1 ohm might be perfect.

But your preference of tube amps totally contradicts my theory, as they usually have quite high impedance, if I'm not mistaken.

Are you saying you hear similar sound from your tube amp and the Fuze, using X2s? If so, that's quite extraordinary. Would almost make me believe that you have some eq enabled on the Fuze that you forgot about? :) My Fuse is also Rockboxed, and I get lost in all the options every time I start to tweak!

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #905 of 1,061
Helps a lot, thank you!

I saw your comment earlier about the synergy between the Fuze and X2, and thought it might be the surprisingly low output impedance of the Fuze that caused the "magic" (especially since many X2 owners also praise the O2 and Magni, low impedance amps as well). That's why I thought that the NX1, with its less than1 ohm might be perfect.

But your preference of tube amps totally contradicts my theory, as they usually have quite high impedance, if I'm not mistaken.

Are you saying you hear similar sound from your tube amp and the Fuze, using X2s? If so, that's quite extraordinary. Would almost make me believe that you have some eq enabled on the Fuze that you forgot about? :) My Fuse is also Rockboxed, and I get lost in all the options every time I start to tweak!

You're welcome.

Tube amp and directly from a DAP provides "different" flavors. I enjoy both route with different sources.

I never use Fuze as a source when using a tube amp (not a good conbo). Tube amp have its special ambiance that makes the sound more lifelike for some headphones/sources.

...and I really don't care about the ohm matching thing because my ears/brain tells me the reality.

BTW I read people praising Vali (hybrid), Little Dot1+ (hybrid), Lyr and some other tube amps with the X2. My source is a Darkvoice TH336SE.

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #906 of 1,061
While playing your favorite music move the X2 slightly forward and backward on your head and tell me what you think?

To my ears, sound character changes from a "slightly" darker (backward position) phone to a "slightly" brighter (forward position) one. And some changes on the soundstage image.

Forward Position: While wearing it normally, push the X2 to a forward position on your head so thet the back of the ears touches the inner back part of the earpads.

Backward Position: Opposite of the above.

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #907 of 1,061
While playing your favorite music move the X2 slightly forward and backward on your head and tell me what you think?

To my ears, sound character changes from a "slightly" darker (backward position) phone to a "slightly" brighter (forward position) one. And some changes on the soundstage image.

Forward Position: While wearing it normally, push the X2 to a forward position on your head so thet the back of the ears touches the inner back part of the earpads.

you are suppose to be wear a headphone like it is meant to be, can't be more simple and oh yes, to listen and enjoy music:blush:

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #908 of 1,061
Hello everyone,

I own a Zune 120 and I use the Zune Pass music subscription with it. To my knowledge, there is no way to get a portable amp to work with this Zune. Because of that, I am limited to low impedance headphones. I am currently using the Grado SR-60i, which I consider to be about the best portable headphone (but definitely still just an "entry"headphone [as opposed to mid-fi or summit]). But I was recently introduced to the Philips Fidelio X2 headphone, and it seems to generally compete with the Sennheiser HD 600, which is recognized as about the best mid-fi 'phone. The Philips Fidelio X2 is low impedance (30 ohm) and supposedly sounds decent un-amped with portable players.

My questions are these.

Is this the only low-impedance (un-amped, portable decent), mid-fi headphone in existence? If not, what are the names of the other headphones?

My Zune 120 files are 196 kbps WMA quality. Is the Fidelio X2 too high quality to make files of this quality sound good?

Is the Philips Fidelio X2 a HUGE upgrade in SQ (highly noticeable to the common hearing man) over my Grado SR-60i? After all, the Fidelio X2 ($300) does cost quite a bit more than my Grado headphones ($80).

Thanks!!

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #909 of 1,061

Oh yeah.  This is part of my routine now.  When I first got mine, I would just plop them on and maybe adjust them a little bit for comfort.  I started noticing that moving them forward added a little bit more stage and brightness.  They are more comfortable that way for me too.   Actually up, and forward.  It takes a little more pressure off the headband. I have them paired with a Vali and they sound great!

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #910 of 1,061

Oh yeah.  This is part of my routine now.  When I first got mine, I would just plop them on and maybe adjust them a little bit for comfort.  I started noticing that moving them forward added a little bit more stage and brightness.  They are more comfortable that way for me too.   Actually up, and forward.  It takes a little more pressure off the headband. I have them paired with a Vali and they sound great!

Yes, I was talking about this. Little movements on the head and the signature varies... Thanks for your share
beerchug.gif

-----------------------------------------------
Off Topic:

I was chosen as a reviewer for the Cayin C5DAC review tour and published my review on headfi yesterday.

Anyone who's interested can check the review from this link: http://www.head-fi.org/products/cayin-spark-c5-dac-portable-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier/reviews/13743

I have to say that C5DAC pairs very nicely with X2. Better synergy with this DAC/AMP compared to K7XX pairing.

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #911 of 1,061
I just got a pair of X2s recently for gaming and listening to EDM and hip hop. They sound great while connected directly to my iPhone 6 and Sony STRDH550 av receiver, but I was wondering if the sound quality could be improved with a DAC/amp.

People have suggested a Schiit Fulla, but I'm not sure if the front USB input on my receiver can also function as a powered output for the Fulla.

I know the X2 has a low impedance but I don't know what that means or how it affects sound quality when connected to various devices.

I have lots of random noob questions so bare with me, and any help would be appreciated. For instance, would I get better sound through my iPhone 6, an old 160GB iPod, my desktop PC, or my av receiver? Would a DAC/amp improve the sound on any of those specific devices? And if so, which amps work the best with the X2s?

(cross-posting here, since I'm not having any luck in the other thread)

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #912 of 1,061
Hi all. I'm going to buy X2, but i'm afraid of treble. I've seen that treble in X2 might be unnatural on some songs, but i'm looking for all-rounder. I don't know, it'll be my first decent headphone. Baycode, I see that you have K7XX also, these also in my list, could you compare them, please?

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #913 of 1,061

Yes, I was talking about this. Little movements on the head and the signature varies... Thanks for your share
beerchug.gif

-----------------------------------------------
Off Topic:

I was chosen as a reviewer for the Cayin C5DAC review tour and published my review on headfi yesterday.

Anyone who's interested can check the review from this link: http://www.head-fi.org/products/cayin-spark-c5-dac-portable-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier/reviews/13743

I have to say that C5DAC pairs very nicely with X2. Better synergy with this DAC/AMP compared to K7XX pairing.

Wow. Looking foward to Cayins C5DAC. Been wondering about a review, will take a look at it. Thank you :)

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #914 of 1,061
Hi all. I'm going to buy X2, but i'm afraid of treble. I've seen that treble in X2 might be unnatural on some songs, but i'm looking for all-rounder. I don't know, it'll be my first decent headphone. Baycode, I see that you have K7XX also, these also in my list, could you compare them, please?
As you mentioned this have all to do with the source, not the headphone. The X2 price/ quality balance is the best on today's market

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #915 of 1,061

K7XX or X2, which is better? Well first it depends on your source. Dont expect good synergy for K7XX directly with some sources. It needs a good/synergizing and smooth sounding SS amp (IMO) in the chain. On the other hand X2 sounds great through many many sources. I love the presentation of both for different reasons but lately I have been spending more head-time with K7XX due to my music preferences. X2 has more meatier and more pronounced bottom (bass) compared to K7XX. It has almost speaker-like general presentation (X2) to some people -which is very enjoyable... So in general K7XX sounds more neutral compared to X2 but dont get me wrong, K7xx really doesnt lack bass (IMO).

Somehow X2 also paired excellent with my tube amp (336SE) whereas K7XX didnt synergize well with it. X2 even sounds very good through an Sansa Fuze which makes it the greatest allrounder.

The second most important thing is your music preferences. EDM, Electronic, Trance, metal and most pop music sounds better with X2 (IMO, YMMW). This doesnt mean the other types does sound bad. X2 is suitble with almost any genre (this is the other reason that makes X2 greatest allrounder). But if I compare it to K7XX I have to highlight something... With my gears and to my ears K7XX sounds better with most instrumental, vocal, chillout and classical music.

Anyone needs a good open back cant go wrong with both. Sound signature preference, music preference, sources and amps in the house tells the last words...

I am keeping both unless I find a better HP to beat one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back