Philips Fidelio X1 vs Sennheiser HD558?
Jul 21, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #16 of 28
Thanks guys, I went with the X1. :)

So how'd you like them? I've been staying away from Head-Fi for a bit (not consciously, just been reading a lot about photography etc)... When I last popped in the X1 were barely starting to be available in the US, I really wanted to try them at some point. Now I see the price has dropped significantly, they've been hovering around $265 down from $400 on Amazon, sounds like quite the deal.

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #17 of 28
I've tested out the HD 558 in the local headphones store with my mp4 player, and man do they suck. Their soundstage is pretty big though, and imaging is quite good aswell, but those are the only good things about them. My AKG K540 absolutely destroys them (unamped atleast).

Jul 22, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #18 of 28
I've tested out the HD 558 in the local headphones store with my mp4 player, and man do they suck. Their soundstage is pretty big though, and imaging is quite good aswell, but those are the only good things about them. My AKG K540 absolutely destroys them (unamped atleast).

Although the 558s are known as "easy to drive" they really need an amp to be their best. I used these with a Fiio E7 and they were good, with my Aune T1 they really sing. I can't compare with your K540s but if amped, at least, they don't suck.

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #19 of 28
I'm also looking at getting the Fidelio X1 now, it's currently at a really good price point on Amazon UK (£150), and thanks to you guys I think my decision is made on getting them, I've been using the Sennheiser HD555's for about 3 years and starting to feel like I was needing a bit more oomph in the sound. After getting a new DAC/Amp (Fiio E07K) I found that sound quality wasn't massively improved but it was definitely made punchier and when it came to listening to higher quality music. (I'm guessing the huge difference wasn't there due to the low impedance of the headphones) but after checking out the X1's and reading endless reviews and comparisons I definitely think it's a great set of cans for the price.

Just wanted to say thanks to the comments above for helping me come to a conclusion.

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #20 of 28
Why? I mean they are both performing well over their pricepoint, the X1 is more comparable to the HD600 of course, but looking at the price, i think we could make a good comparison here :)

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #21 of 28
Good Choice with the X1 :) My friend got one for himself during the 50% off offer from amazon, and he is very happy with it. I did try it and it is VERY comfortable and the sound is amazing. and looks that it was designed and produced with top of the line materials.

definitely in my shopping list when I feel like buying something new :)

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #25 of 28
Well I'm no Audiophile 
tongue_smile.gif
 But I can't complain about the sound. so far I am very happy with it. I only tested the headphones with a sound blaster ZX sound card. Today I will be receiving Schiit AMP/DAC Combo... I am expecting the sound to be better than the sound card. If not, I might consider buying an X1 
dt880smile.png

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #26 of 28
Well good luck, hope it sounds great :wink: Im interested in buying a shiit to, but here in germany they are hard to come by :) Right im using the FiiO E12, which performs quite well with the Philips X1 and the Sennheiser HD558 :)

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #27 of 28
Id say you definitely went with the right choice.

Well good luck, hope it sounds great :wink: Im interested in buying a shiit to, but here in germany they are hard to come by :) Right im using the FiiO E12, which performs quite well with the Philips X1 and the Sennheiser HD558 :)

How would you compare the X1 to the HD558? I'm just about set on picking up the X1's, however any additional input alway helps.

Cheers.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #28 of 28
Never tried or owned them, but I think you'd be better off choosing the X1's. I owned a pair of HD558's and they are nothing to right home about. Don't get me wrong, they are pleasant, comfortable headphones with a really wide soundstage and decent enough detail, but I found the sub-bass and bass on them to be far too lacking and the lower-mids to be a little too recessed.

I ran it with a FiiO E10K before switching out to an ODAC + E09K and it sounded much better with more amplification despite it having a low impedance. Also removed the foam in the earcups which made the lack of bass more apparent but also improved the overall sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back