Philips Fidelio X1 vs Sennheiser HD558?
Jun 17, 2013 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

rgras

New Head-Fier
Hi,

For the last few weeks I've been thinking about buying a new headphone after finding out that a 40-year old Philips headphone sounded way better than my current one (a Steelseries Siberia V2, which focuses on gaming). I'd like to spend €175 tops, although there's always room for more. I'm planning to use it as following:

- Movies/tv shows: 60%. This ranges from Michael Bay-movies (lots of explosions) to political drama's (which consists mostly of conversations).
- Games: 30%. This ranges from shooters to race-sims.
- Music: 10%. I listen to almost everything, from hard-rock to classic, from pop to dance.

Some important notes:
- I appreciate good bass, although it shouldn't interfere with the mids and highs.
- Open > closed.
- Soundstage isn't that important.
- I'm not an audiophile and probably won't notice differences that most of you guys will notice.
- Usage may vary from 30 minutes to 8 hours a day, so comfort is important.
- The headphone will only be used with a computer which has a seperate soundcard.

Headphones that were considered/advised by others but didn't make the 'final' list:
- Audio Technica ATH-M50(s) €149. Reviews/head-fi'ers were very positive. However a lot of users also agreed that there was a huge hype and that the set was not that great.
- Sennheiser HD598 €169. The 'older brother' of the HD558. Even though it looks absolutely godlike, but I believe the bass of it's younger brother will suit my needs better. It also uses the same driver as the HD558, which can be modded so it sounds a lot like the HD598 (even though the HD598 will still sound brighter). (chart: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2861&graphID[]=2851&scale=20)
- Audio Technica ATH-AD700 €130: It lacks the bass that I'm looking for. (chart: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID%5B%5D=2861&graphID%5B%5D=2851&graphID%5B%5D=2661&scale=20)

So in the end I kept coming back to two headphones:
- Sennheiser HD558 €135. Excellent reviews.
- Philips Fidelio X1 €182. Raving reviews, labeled 'endgame' by several people. The only downside that comes up is that it's being shipped with a cable that 'has' 1,5-2 Ohm, but that can be fixed by buying a seperate cable.

It's been mentioned that they both have an excellent allround sound with an excellent bass. Unfortunately I haven't been able to try them in a store (the X1 can't be found in my region) so I'm relying on (user) reviews and the knowledge of you guys. So I'd like to hear from you guys which headphone would suit my needs best, and if the X1 is worth the extra €47 for a non-audiophile as myself? Ofcourse, if you feel I've missed a headphone then feel free to give a shout.

Thanks!

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 28
Don't get the m50.  Thats really all i can say as open headphones aren't my area of expertise.

Well, i can recommend the sony mdr ma900 (which i have).  All the comparisons (at least this is what i remember) say its in the same league as $350 headphones.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:
Don't get the m50.  Thats really all i can say as open headphones aren't my area of expertise.

Well, i can recommend the sony mdr ma900 (which i have).  All the comparisons (at least this is what i remember) say its in the same league as $350 headphones.

I've looked at the MA900, but I have the feeling that the headband will snap within a year (I can be clumsy), so no dice.
Quote:
Give AD900X a chance too.

It's €350 over here, so that's a no-go.

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #9 of 28
I have the Sennheiser HD558 and I find it to be a good all around headphone.
Not a "full" bass, but a decent bass, just enough to do the job.
I removed the black rubber tape from inside the cups a few weeks after buying the HD558,
and it does need some break in time to sound it's best.

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #11 of 28
Well its a no brainer.  X1. Even though I haven't heard it, its a headphones above the HD558's in every way technically. The fact that people who heard it put it on a level with HD650's or even above it in my ways, is enough. I've heard the L1 Philips and I think its pretty much superior to HD558's in almost all ways, so I have no reason to believe X1 won't be as well.  If you can get it for that price, it really is no contest.

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:
The x1 shouldn't be compared to the 558. How much is the he400?

I have heard both, infact i have heard HD 598 and HD 600 too. X1 probably would be a hard choice between HD 650 and itself, but all HDs below it. it wins by a big margin. I could hear things i have not even heard in HD 650. Instrument seperation is almost unique in X1 and cannot be compared to anything. Its like every instrument is a master track of its own that almost does not interfere with other, dont know how phlips managed to get this signature. But after you hear HD 598 and then this one, its like a revelation from God after years of egyptian bondage. HDs in general are relatively darker for my taste, and though I personally dont like grado prestige signature which, on the other extrme, gets too bright for me. this is a perfect signature in between the too. if you see the frequency response (in headfonia review) its almost flat end to end. i never felt then need of using the word r"ecessed" in mids. though people get used to brigter headphones like grado's which themselves seems tonely colored at times, and comment senneihser and the league (this be in that) to be dark.
but all and all, this is a very good mid way between the two dark and bright universes.

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:
Thanks guys, I went with the X1. :)

Me too, i got mine 2 weeks ago and enjoying every evening of quality music in my seclusion with them,  after I get back from office!! yes new headphones are like toys for us kids, but they get old in few days and become, well, "another headphone" in your arsenal. Not these, its like every listen is as exciting as post unboxing was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back