philips fidelio x1 vs hifiman he-400 (stronger natural midrange?)
May 20, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #46 of 185
Quote:
Maybe Denon will start a new line of hi-fi headphones. the d7000 sounds cool I like the way the ultrasone edition 8's look way better though. They even have better isolation and tighter bass with forward mids like I like. If I was to spend that much on a closed headphone I would probably shoot for the ultrasone ed 8. But I never hear too many people mention them. 

Now those are both out of my spending league but one day I might save up for the edition 8 and the lcd 2 then call it quits.Prob edition 8 first because then I won't have to buy a more expensive amp for it right away. 

How much are you liking the x1 Biscuitz?

I don't like it very much. I'm selling it.

It lacks both the clarity and transparency that the HD600 / HD650 have. Its bass is elevated too far above neutral, so it's intended to color the sound in a pleasing, bassy way. But when I want bass, I much more prefer the bass of the old Denons (D2000 / D5000 / D7000). Or if I needed quality open-back bass, I'd just grab an open-back ortho.

May 20, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #47 of 185
I imagine its bass to be like boomy but not co-herent with the rest of the music. The l1 bass is like that too a little bit. Bass should be tight and a little boomy but not muddy and not so tight that it doesnt rumble a little.  It sounds like the l1 what you are saying but a brighter headphone with a more spacious sound and almost  the same transparency and clarity. Plus you cant change the pads. They say that you really want to swap the cable. Maybe you should try that before you sell it but what do i know. 

Sorry for your disappointment... I know you had high hopes for them. 

thanks again btw.

May 20, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #48 of 185
I bought with a V-Moda cable, as Tyll suggests. Cable swapping doesn't seem to affect the sound in any dramatic fashion.

I don't want to mislead. The X1 is not a bad sounding headphone. I just think it is out-done by headphones in its price bracket.

May 20, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #49 of 185
I considered buying the X1 but I noticed that the Earpads aren't removable. So I mailed the support and asked where I can buy replacement pads and how much it would cost me. They said, they don't :D ... no spare parts at all. But they would be glad to replace the whole headphone if the pads get worn out within the 2 years of service guarantee.

This kinda shocked me a little. I'm a modder, I can cope with this and possibly copy their pads to some extend but... I don't wanna feed them my money. :C

May 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #50 of 185
Quote:
I considered buying the X1 but I noticed that the Earpads aren't removable. So I mailed the support and asked where I can buy replacement pads and how much it would cost me. They said, they don't :D ... no spare parts at all. But they would be glad to replace the whole headphone if the pads get worn out within the 2 years of service guarantee.

This kinda shocked me a little. I'm a modder, I can cope with this and possibly copy their pads to some extend but... I don't wanna feed them my money. :C

There is always a way around things when push comes to shove. I can see why that would stop someone from purchasing them. But at the end of the day if they sound the way you like some things are worth putting up with. 

However I  easily get intimidated by all of the work of buying chords and pads and extra things for headphones. There has to be someone that can get all of the aesthetics right from jump. Sennheiser seems to do that but not many others. How hard is it to make things replaceable, comfortable, and look good. The x1 has the looks down and the comfort but not the accessories. 

May 21, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #52 of 185
I've opened mine up and the pads were glued together, the pins were not so good so I guess it is a design/production error they fixed by glueing the pads.

I got them reattached with some fast glue.

May 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #53 of 185
I own both HD650 and X1. The HD650 is more neutral and balanced sounding than X1. The X1 are more dynamic, bigger bass and brighter treble. Its is a very interesting sound signature. I do not find the HD650 veiled or particularly slow. I am running them balanced.

May 23, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #55 of 185
Quote:
excuse the ignorance but what do you mean by running them balanced.

also how would you compare the sound of the vocals and instruments on the two?

eehhh nevermind. I have decided to get both so I will be able to do a comparison myself Maybe I will do a write up with my newbie ears and compare the two. I am sure I will like both for different songs. 

May 23, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #56 of 185
If you have a balanced setup and cables for it, you can run your headphone balanced. It makes for twice as much power from the amp, and possibly better control and better sound quality.

You need a balanced amp, and if you wanna go all the way also a balanced DAC

May 23, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #57 of 185
Quote:
eehhh nevermind. I have decided to get both so I will be able to do a comparison myself Maybe I will do a write up with my newbie ears and compare the two. I am sure I will like both for different songs. 

Quote:
If you have a balanced setup and cables for it, you can run your headphone balanced. It makes for twice as much power from the amp, and possibly better control and better sound quality.

You need a balanced amp, and if you wanna go all the way also a balanced DAC

Yes, thats what balanced means. I made the cable myself. I was thinking this morning what to reply about the difference between the 2 headphones. Glad you made it easy by getting both and listening for yourself! We all hear and appreciate different things.

May 23, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #58 of 185
I'd rather put HD650 as midforward than "neutral". Neutral isn't the key for everyone, some like mids, some like more of bass, some like crisp highs etc. I see a lot of people threatening what they like as "neutral". There's nothing harm in being forward in a certain range if that's what your preferences prefer. Frequency responses backs this statement up which are highly objective reflections.

X1 seems more like a bit bassforward with pretty neutral mids and highs while HD650 is a bit of a midforward headphone.

May 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #59 of 185
Quote:

Yes, thats what balanced means. I made the cable myself. I was thinking this morning what to reply about the difference between the 2 headphones. Glad you made it easy by getting both and listening for yourself! We all hear and appreciate different things.

So basically i need to get balanced cables for the hd650s so the amp can push more power.??? are there any links that you can post for the cables.

May 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #60 of 185
You don't need to. Going balanced is something you do when you have found THE headphone and want to try something new.. For example. I got the cables for my HE-500, but I still use my normal single ended amp. Balanced isn't a must in anyway, neither if you go for high end headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back