Philips Fidelio X1 vs DT 880 premium(250 ohm)
May 25, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #16 of 20
My pleasure :wink: For a DAC/Amp&Dac id recommend FiiO D03K+Fiio E12/E11 for low budget, or the Objective 2 Amp + Objectuve Dac or the Asus Essence One, these are probably the best optiions beneath 300$, when you are looking into the 500$ then the Sony UDA-1 is really good, or the NAD products :) A good soundcard though can make it too, especially if you only gonna use the DAC on the PC, because some high end Asus cards do have a decent DAC and Amp. But if you need or want a USB DAC (Maybe you have a Laptop^^) then the FiiO E18 i probably the way to go or a Meridian Explorer :)

May 25, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #17 of 20
Yeah, but if you look at comparisons all say the DT880 have less bass then the HD598, the DT880 goes deeper, but the bass isnt as present :wink: Depends on what you want now, HD598 is still a pretty warm and pleasurable rich sound, while the DT880 is really neutral and flat sounding in comparison, obviously more accurate with that in mind, but it depends on whether or not you prefer that, because in the end what counts is the fun you have and not the neutrality it self, but to some the most neutral may even be the most fun :wink: But in the end all headphones have their own signatur sound (In the high end branch) and no headphones is really neutral, the X1 and Sennheise HD598 have a warmer signatur and the DT880 a colder one, while the HD598 does have the problem of a rolled of treble, the X1 really doesnt have that problem at all, it really has that airy and well extended sound, but without sounding harsh, the DT880 though does extend even better into the treble, but as i said to my taste its to much treble because of the 10Khz spike Beyer is known for, but as it seems other find the X1 to thick, while i find the DT880 to thing and the AKG K702 i find even thinner and even plasticy to some extend. I think all the named headphones are amazing, just depends on what you re looking for, best thing is to order at Amazon and if its not to you taste you can send them back, that not very nice, but its your right at least for 30 day :wink:

May 25, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #18 of 20
Thanks,

I also respect yours, i think we both know our stuff and what we want in a headphone :)

To me the X1s are an amazing Hifi headphone and really fit my taste, while i stilly think the DT880 is just as good a Hifi headphone if not superior in some areas, just its not perfectly to my taste. For example the DT990 is a worse X1, it elevates the Bass which is what the X1 does, but also elevates the treble which is bad and has a more recessed midrange which is also bad, thats why id prefer the DT880 of the DT bunch, but the DT990 was a more musical headphone, and Philips took that idea and perfected it, with big bass,present mids and a smooth but still detailed and airy treble :) But if you wanna hear grain you should try the Deneon D600 xD Those just suck in my opinion hehe :D

HD 650 for example also goes the same route as the X1s, just with more rolled of treble, but a different midrange whch makes them amazingly musical too, but if i were to monitor something of master my music id always go DT880, because of that application they are superior because of their more neutral response :)

May 25, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #19 of 20
  Thanks,

I also respect yours, i think we both know our stuff and what we want in a headphone :)

To me the X1s are an amazing Hifi headphone and really fit my taste, while i stilly think the DT880 is just as good a Hifi headphone if not superior in some areas, just its not perfectly to my taste. For example the DT990 is a worse X1, it elevates the Bass which is what the X1 does, but also elevates the treble which is bad and has a more recessed midrange which is also bad, thats why id prefer the DT880 of the DT bunch, but the DT990 was a more musical headphone, and Philips took that idea and perfected it, with big bass,present mids and a smooth but still detailed and airy treble :) But if you wanna hear grain you should try the Deneon D600 xD Those just suck in my opinion hehe :D

HD 650 for example also goes the same route as the X1s, just with more rolled of treble, but a different midrange whch makes them amazingly musical too, but if i were to monitor something of master my music id always go DT880, because of that application they are superior because of their more neutral response :)

haha yeah ......grain really pissed me off
I like to stay away from Japanese headphones , Sony , Denon and AT are all notorious when it comes to grain  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back