Philips Fidelio X1 vs DT 880 premium(250 ohm)
May 20, 2014 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

christiffer

New Head-Fier
Which one of these is better for the following:

Most Important
Music (Electronic, Classical, Rap, Rock)

Gaming(A lot of BF4 so hearing footsteps from different locations is important)

Less Important
Videos(Youtube videos, Twitch Streams, short movies)

Music while traveling(this would be very rare). The source would be some sort of phone like an iphone or some android device.

May 23, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 20
Hi Christiffer,
I too play a lot of BF4 (Preferably on PS4) and listen to (Classical,Rock,Hard Rock,Metall,Rap,Pop, some R&B,Jazz and few other things=) 

I personally have the Philips X1,Sennheiser HD558&HD598,Sony MA900,Denon D600 and the Astro A50,Tritton AX Pro+,Sony Pulse Headsets, the DT880 i do not posses, but from many comparison and reviews i can at least imagine its sound. 

Of all my headphones and headsets i posses, the Philips X1 is my most precious possession, it has the best detail retrieval of the bunch, the 2. best sounstage (MA900 = Best) and the most natural sound overall (MA 900 equal) , it has a slight bass emphasize and a linear tlt from mid bass to treble with a tiny peak up in the 8K range to give it some sparkle, overall it sounds pretty amazing with anything you throw at it, whether its classic,rock,rap or a movie or video game :)

Basically the DT880 has less bass then the X1s, somewhat recessed mids and well extended treble, allthough too much for me, which is the reason i didnt buy them, the 10Khz peak is to much for my ears and i get fatigue pretty fast -.- So obviously with that in mind you can be assured that the X1 will be fatigue free for the most part :wink: The X1 is also the most fun headphone ive heard in the 500$ range, the only one coming close is the HD650, but those seem to dark to my taste and a bit more colored even, which is odd^^ The next better phone for fun listening would probably be the HE500 or LCD2, which are both over 500$. I tried a lot of headphone in my time now and i have to say the Philips X1 is really a can that is very special, because unlike other open cans it delivers amazingly deep,strong and fast bass, while still having the amazingly natural and smooth midrange that is really in you face and great airy treble with some sparkle, which is well extended too (DT880 a little better extended though). I personally power all my headphones with a FiiO E12 atm, but i guess a Astro Mixamp or a TB Earforce ?? would do great if youd want a more compatible option for mic and console support.

So overall i think the X1 is the most special headphone under 500$ and for any one who wants natural sound and great bass and soundstage (positional cues/enemy detection)  its the right decision. The DT880 has not enough bass, because apparentely it has less then my HD598 even which is really like the lowest i would appreciate :wink: The AKG K702 is to bright too and has quite a bass drop off too, even the manufacturer acknowledged that and made the K712 with +3dB bass boost :wink: The AKG K612 though is basically a more natural K702 with more bass and is a cheaper option to the X1s in my opinion. Both the X1 and AKG K612 are known to handle a lot of power (volume) which is also great if you wanna crank it up sometimes :wink: Id also link you to some guys that gave me personally a lot of input for my buys :wink:

The DT880 is still an amazing headphone, just its more suited for only acoustic music and mastering, but if you truly wanna have fun then a Sennheiser HD600/650 or the Philips X1s are your best option. And dont buy the Denon D600, its ****, truly i have long not heard such artificial and fatiguing audio with really no balance and far to much bass...and not even nice bass like on the X1s, just boomy bass and sharp voices and bright highs with recessed mids... Truly a dissapointment xD 

Hope i could help you, regard Michele G. Iurlo

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits (Madlustenvys Headphone guide very informative and he also loves the X1s :)

http://www.whathifi.com/review/philips-fidelio-x1 Whathifi (If they give 5/5 you know its good :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzO2IAakSWY (Very good review from my bud the headphone addict :D )

May 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 20
I haven't heard the X1, but I was astonished at the quality of sub-bass with DT880 in BF4. They also have exceptional clarity without sounding "bright" or "thin." They are the best I've heard for "classical" or well-recorded live instruments. The only draw back is that they aren't rolled off around 8khz, so poorly mastered material will sound very sibilant.

Neither would really be good for traveling, since they're both open-backed.

May 23, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 20
Based on the graph at InnerFidelity, the X1 has a huge bass hump in a narrow range with rolled off treble, if you're into that sort of thing. However, they also pick up again around 8khz, so they may also manage to be "sibilant."

May 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 20
  Hi Christiffer,
I too play a lot of BF4 (Preferably on PS4) and listen to (Classical,Rock,Hard Rock,Metall,Rap,Pop, some R&B,Jazz and few other things=) 

I personally have the Philips X1,Sennheiser HD558&HD598,Sony MA900,Denon D600 and the Astro A50,Tritton AX Pro+,Sony Pulse Headsets, the DT880 i do not posses, but from many comparison and reviews i can at least imagine its sound. 

Of all my headphones and headsets i posses, the Philips X1 is my most precious possession, it has the best detail retrieval of the bunch, the 2. best sounstage (MA900 = Best) and the most natural sound overall (MA 900 equal) , it has a slight bass emphasize and a linear tlt from mid bass to treble with a tiny peak up in the 8K range to give it some sparkle, overall it sounds pretty amazing with anything you throw at it, whether its classic,rock,rap or a movie or video game :)

Basically the DT880 has less bass then the X1s, somewhat recessed mids and well extended treble, allthough too much for me, which is the reason i didnt buy them, the 10Khz peak is to much for my ears and i get fatigue pretty fast -.- So obviously with that in mind you can be assured that the X1 will be fatigue free for the most part :wink: The X1 is also the most fun headphone ive heard in the 500$ range, the only one coming close is the HD650, but those seem to dark to my taste and a bit more colored even, which is odd^^ The next better phone for fun listening would probably be the HE500 or LCD2, which are both over 500$. I tried a lot of headphone in my time now and i have to say the Philips X1 is really a can that is very special, because unlike other open cans it delivers amazingly deep,strong and fast bass, while still having the amazingly natural and smooth midrange that is really in you face and great airy treble with some sparkle, which is well extended too (DT880 a little better extended though). I personally power all my headphones with a FiiO E12 atm, but i guess a Astro Mixamp or a TB Earforce ?? would do great if youd want a more compatible option for mic and console support.

So overall i think the X1 is the most special headphone under 500$ and for any one who wants natural sound and great bass and soundstage (positional cues/enemy detection)  its the right decision. The DT880 has not enough bass, because apparentely it has less then my HD598 even which is really like the lowest i would appreciate :wink: The AKG K702 is to bright too and has quite a bass drop off too, even the manufacturer acknowledged that and made the K712 with +3dB bass boost :wink: The AKG K612 though is basically a more natural K702 with more bass and is a cheaper option to the X1s in my opinion. Both the X1 and AKG K612 are known to handle a lot of power (volume) which is also great if you wanna crank it up sometimes :wink: Id also link you to some guys that gave me personally a lot of input for my buys :wink:

The DT880 is still an amazing headphone, just its more suited for only acoustic music and mastering, but if you truly wanna have fun then a Sennheiser HD600/650 or the Philips X1s are your best option. And dont buy the Denon D600, its ****, truly i have long not heard such artificial and fatiguing audio with really no balance and far to much bass...and not even nice bass like on the X1s, just boomy bass and sharp voices and bright highs with recessed mids... Truly a dissapointment xD 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits (Madlustenvys Headphone guide very informative and he also loves the X1s :)

http://www.whathifi.com/review/philips-fidelio-x1 Whathifi (If they give 5/5 you know its good :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzO2IAakSWY (Very good review from my bud the headphone addict :D )

I don't see how the DT880's could possibly have a recessed midrange, since they're almost dead flat from 40 - 1000Hz.  The perceived 8kHz peak is maybe one decibel north of middle C (262Hz).  The K701's have a little more in the 1 - 2Khz region, which results in their bright plasticky sound.  The HD650 might be a good medium between the neutral DT880 and fun Fidelio X1.  I wouldn't recommend the HD600, since it would just sound like a less well-extended DT880. 

I absolutely disagree that the DT880 won't be fun in BF4.  You will definitely notice when an artillery shells lands next to you. 

May 23, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 20
  Have you ever heard the HD 600 and the DT 880 side by side ? I think they sound very different and have different strenghts.

How so?  Would you characterize the difference as more sub-bass on the DT880 and a peak at 8kHz instead of 4kHz? :p

Edit: HD600's should have a little more treble and the DT880's should have a little more "air."  They're both about as close to neutral as headphones get.

May 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 20
Well, i would say the beyerdynamics have obviously more treble. They are famous for their treble peak. And the sennheiser have something like a mid bass bump but that depends on how much bass you want and they dont have the sub bass extension like the DT 880.

May 23, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 20
  Hi Christiffer,

Thanks so much for this in depth response.  It's much appreciated.  I am definitely leaning toward the X1's.  I like the fact that I'll be able to plug them into my phone to listen to music when I'm walking around the house.  I guess all I'll need is to think about a DAC now for when I'm at my computer.

May 24, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 20
Oh, also the DT880 has more bass than the HD598, according to the Headroom graph.

880 has a better presentation , there's just no comparison ..I own both , the 598 just lacks that tightness in the sub-bass , the 880 has tremendous clarity in comparison
The 598 and X1s are strictly Mid-Fi , the 880s are HiFi , for the price they go right now on Amazon , they are a must have ....if it was just less metallic the t1 would have been a tough sell 

May 24, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #13 of 20
Oh i never meant to say the DT880 is not fun^^ I just meant to say that the X1 is probably more fun :wink: But that is also down to taste, with headphones once you get to a certain level of fidelity it really is more about the tonality, while the DT880 is more neutral and brighter the X1 is warmer and less bright :) DT880 is probably a amazing headphone, but as i said the peak in the treble is too much for me, for other though probably just right^^ That thing with the midrange was from a review from ZombieX (Austin Wunschel) He has the DT770,880,990, T1,T70,T90 and he came to the conslusion that he DT880 is pretty flat with some recessed mids, i mean it could be him, but i heard from a lot of people that Beyers tend to do the slight U, but just slightly. As id didnt try them yet though, i wouldnt say that this is fact, just something i picked up while researching :wink: I agree on the HD600, its more neutral, but not as detailed and well extended in a way :wink:

May 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #14 of 20
I really dont think that is true, i think the X1 as well as the DT880 are Hifi, just one is warmer while the other is colder, its really up to taste, just look at the Audeze LCD2s they are just as warm as the X1s and are more detailed still. I think its wrong to say a headphone is bad just because its tonality differs in the other way from neutral, to me the X1 is just the most musical ive heard yet. Also the high treble on the DT880 can become a problem.

May 25, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #15 of 20
  I really dont think that is true, i think the X1 as well as the DT880 are Hifi, just one is warmer while the other is colder, its really up to taste, just look at the Audeze LCD2s they are just as warm as the X1s and are more detailed still. I think its wrong to say a headphone is bad just because its tonality differs in the other way from neutral, to me the X1 is just the most musical ive heard yet. Also the high treble on the DT880 can become a problem.

Well... I should have been a bit specific , frequency balance doesn't always equate to fidelity , "grain-refinement-clarity-resolution-transparency" all these factors create a HiFi headphone , I respect your opinion but that's what I think :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back