Philips Fidelio X1 sound total crap?
Aug 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 120

Trojan Horse

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I recently got my Philips Fidelio X1's and I'll be honest with you. Until I put everything on; this was insanely amazing... then I listened to it. It sounds EXTREMELY dull, flat and lifeless. It's even worse when playing quiet volumes.. It's so bad compared to my gamecoms which sound lively and so much nicer??? What the hell, have I recieved duds?

It's using onboard audio on my ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 motherborad.... I'm going to make sure it's not a dud and get amazon to send me a replacement. What suggestions do you have?

I am using it in comparison to my gamecom 780 which delivers sound thru USB... which could explain why my onboard audio is so bad I havent considered upgrading it?

What budget soundcards will make the most of my fidelio X1? If there is a way to make it sound so perfectly amazing, I'll go ahead and purchase amps and what not (budget is £100 though so not much), but for now to test these headphones I would like a budget sound card under £50, such as the XONAR DGX or Creative Z.. even then, it's practically out of my budget because I'm spending a lot of my new PC parts..

EDIT:

Would just like to say for those of you whom are visiting this page after googling "fidelio x1s" that these headphones sound truly amazing.. just don't trust any onboard sound cards to make noise that is capable of these 'phones. I currently use the Soundblaster Z and the Asus Xonar Essense STX and the Fidelio sounds more than amazing. Truly one of the best purchases I have made on my PC. It enhances everything.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 120
I enjoy the X1 through the Z, it's a great card with a great DAC.  Not sure about why they sound so bad, I don't know anything about the gamecom so I can't compare them for you.

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 120
Quote:
Hi,

I recently got my Philips Fidelio X1's and I'll be honest with you. Until I put everything on; this was insanely amazing... then I listened to it. It sounds EXTREMELY dull, flat and lifeless. It's even worse when playing quiet volumes.. It's so bad compared to my gamecoms which sound lively and so much nicer??? What the hell, have I recieved duds?

It's using onboard audio on my ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 motherborad.... I'm going to make sure it's not a dud and get amazon to send me a replacement. What suggestions do you have?

I am using it in comparison to my gamecom 780 which delivers sound thru USB... which could explain why my onboard audio is so bad I havent considered upgrading it?

What budget soundcards will make the most of my fidelio X1? If there is a way to make it sound so perfectly amazing, I'll go ahead and purchase amps and what not (budget is £100 though so not much), but for now to test these headphones I would like a budget sound card under £50, such as the XONAR DGX or Creative Z.. even then, it's practically out of my budget because I'm spending a lot of my new PC parts..

The stock cable ****s with the sound due to high cable impedance. IE, a very poor quality cable. Try a different cable. People say that the V-MODA cable from the M-80/100/etc is a good fit, but if you have a basic 3.5mm interconnect lying around it should be fine.

This is one of the rare cases where the cable does make a difference, since the X1 is a low impedance headphone it needs a low impedance wire to carry the signal, else bad things start happening (muddled sound, poor treble and bass extension, etc etc). 

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 120
You could choose the Z or DX depending on whether you prefer Dolby Headphone or SBX Surround for games/movies. If it doesn't matter, I prefer the Z.

I have the media bridge cable. It tightens up the bass and bumps the treble, but it would not account for what you're hearing. The stock cable provides more bass, though looser.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 120
Quote:
Thanks for the response.
What should I get Z or DX?

I'll get them replaced have you ever heard of any faults with them or duds?

The Xonar DX's line-out/headphone jack has an impedance of 100-Ohm, not good for working with low impedance headphones (Philips X1, 30-Ohm?).
Might just get the DG or DGX, as they come with a basic headphone amplifier and the output impedance should be way less then the Xonar DX.

Have you tried the Philips with a portable audio player, they usually have a low output impedance.
See if it improves the audio quality.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 120
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the response.
What should I get Z or DX?

I'll get them replaced have you ever heard of any faults with them or duds?

The Xonar DX's line-out/headphone jack has an impedance of 100-Ohm, not good for working with low impedance headphones (Philips X1, 30-Ohm?).
Might just get the DG or DGX, as they come with a basic headphone amplifier and the output impedance should be way less then the Xonar DX.

Have you tried the Philips with a portable audio player, they usually have a low output impedance.
See if it improves the audio quality.

Jesus that's bad. Definitely would not help the problem. I'd avoid Asus altogether and get something from Schiit like the Magni/Modi. A bit more power than you need but it's a good little stack. Or, perhaps an Objective2/ObjectiveDAC would pair well with the X1.

But for now, I'd just use an iPod and call it good.

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 120
^^ good advice these should sound good just through an iPod. Either yours are defective or you just hate the sound signature. Another option would be a Fiio E17. It's a DAC/amp that you could go USB out of your laptop with. The DAC is comparable to what's in the SB Z and DX, it has low output impedance, and it's portable.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 120
Ok. I have an iPod touch 4 once I get home ill test. Ordered replacements btw, also brilliant of you to remind me to test on iPod! I ALWAYS used to test SQ on iPod b4, but it seems I forgot.

Ordered a creative Z.

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 120
Try Gizmo Dorks listed here for this cable
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B00847Q5AA/ref=mw_dp_olp

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 120
Yes. Gizmo ships to UK :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back