Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison
Nov 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #181 of 373
Hi there!

There is currently an ongoing battle in my head about choosing the right pair of cans.
I was very intrigued by the review for the X1s but I'm still not 100% certain what to get.

The discussion is held over here: CLICK
It is not my intent to cross-post. I just feel that this is the thread where I could get the right picture of the X1s in comparison.
I'll quickly quote my last post so you don't have to switch over right now.
The battle for me seems to be between the Philips Fidelio X1 and the Q701s (or maybe a yet unknown opponent you might introduce to me).
I have now read up a lot on both of them and I need a last bit of help for my decision.

I know now, that the X1 have a rather warm sound signature and might be falling behind the Q701s in terms of airyness and a bit in soundstage.
The mids might be a slight bit drawn-back but not overly recessed as some say, so this shouldn't be an issue.
In terms of bass, they might just be the best one can get for open cans in that price range since they're bassheavy but do not seem to harm the rest of the stage in any way (and if they do, there's still EQ :D)
They are also easy to drive and do not seem to be so incredibly hungry for power in the lows as the AKGs are (which need reasonable amping therefore).

However, I wonder if this is maybe the wrong path for me since i want to learn how music "should" be heard by an audiophile. Don't get me wrong, I do opt for a fun pair of cans, but I fear
standing in warm rain on a summer day with the crickets chirpin' (which can also be nice) as opposed to a night in an airy arena floated with icy and spine-shivering winds of details with the Q701s.
These are are at least the pictures I have in my head now from reading all those reviews. If I do take them too strong and the differences are really more of a minor kind then please just tell me...

If the AKGs are indeed the right path to go for an ongoing audiophile I just have one question i really need answered: Do they have bass?
Opinions and reviews on AKGs bass are so wide-scattered and go from non-locateable, dry, weak and shy to punchy and kickin...
I do honestly not know what to make of it. Some say the Q701s do have the better bass in the x7xx line some say they are all the same... But better to what? Better than shy might still be weak.
Too weak is definitely not for me since I intend to listen to electronic and bass-heavy music as well as watch movies and play games with them.

Those two cans might just be from two different worlds... Is there no middle-path? Good bass, but not overly warm with a wide soundstage and good air?

Thanks in advance for every response that gets me closer to my desired cans.

So if anyone can give me a good view on the Q701/K701s and the X1s bass in comparison or any suggestion of cans that'd fit my needs, please feel free to step into my thread or tell me here.
I know that the Q701 are in the review already, but I can't seem to get a good picture of their bass as of now...
I'm really pulling my hair now as i seem somewhat stuck...
Sorry, if I step into this thread to harshly...

Greetz, Unr3aL

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #182 of 373
Hi there!

There is currently an ongoing battle in my head about choosing the right pair of cans.
I was very intrigued by the review for the X1s but I'm still not 100% certain what to get.

The discussion is held over here: CLICK
It is not my intent to cross-post. I just feel that this is the thread where I could get the right picture of the X1s in comparison.
I'll quickly quote my last post so you don't have to switch over right now.

So if anyone can give me a good view on the Q701/K701s and the X1s bass in comparison or any suggestion of cans that'd fit my needs, please feel free to step into my thread or tell me here.
I know that the Q701 are in the review already, but I can't seem to get a good picture of their bass as of now...
I'm really pulling my hair now as i seem somewhat stuck...
Sorry, if I step into this thread to harshly...

Greetz, Unr3aL

The Q701's have a bit more bass than the K701's.
The Fidelio X1's have quite a bit more bass than the Q701's.
It's immediately noticeable, and there's no doubt about it.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #185 of 373
Originally Posted by Unr3aL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi there!

The battle for me seems to be between the Philips Fidelio X1 and the Q701s (or maybe a yet unknown opponent you might introduce to me).
I have now read up a lot on both of them and I need a last bit of help for my decision.

However, I wonder if this is maybe the wrong path for me since i want to learn how music "should" be heard by an audiophile. Don't get me wrong, I do opt for a fun pair of cans, but I fear
standing in warm rain on a summer day with the crickets chirpin' (which can also be nice) as opposed to a night in an airy arena floated with icy and spine-shivering winds of details with the Q701s.
These are are at least the pictures I have in my head now from reading all those reviews. If I do take them too strong and the differences are really more of a minor kind then please just tell me...

If the AKGs are indeed the right path to go for an ongoing audiophile I just have one question i really need answered: Do they have bass?
Opinions and reviews on AKGs bass are so wide-scattered and go from non-locateable, dry, weak and shy to punchy and kickin...
I do honestly not know what to make of it. Some say the Q701s do have the better bass in the x7xx line some say they are all the same... But better to what? Better than shy might still be weak.
Too weak is definitely not for me since I intend to listen to electronic and bass-heavy music as well as watch movies and play games with them.

Those two cans might just be from two different worlds... Is there no middle-path? Good bass, but not overly warm with a wide soundstage and good air?

Thanks in advance for every response that gets me closer to my desired cans.

The Q701 is overall a drier, brighter headphone than the X1.  The Q701 does have bass, but it's certainly a more lean and neutral approach compared to the X1.  I find the Q701s bass more geared towards acoustic genres, and it may be less than acceptable for bass-heavy genres of music.  The X1 does better there.

I wouldn't worry about which headphone presents how music "should" be heard by an audiophile.  The AKGs aren't perfect either and have some issues with their upper mids being sometimes being a bit too forward, honky, and glaring.  Just pick which one you enjoy more. 

I think the X1s would be a better choice for you and do better as an all rounder for the music you listen to, and they're also great for movies and games.  

Another headphone to consider would be the K712 Pro, as it is somewhat like a middle ground between the Q701 and X1.  It's warmer and fuller sounding than the Q701 (and has more bass) while still keeping most of the soundstage.  I think that would be a better choice than the Q701 for your music, and if it were me I would be choosing between the X1 and K712.  The K712 is pricier, so the X1 is a better headphone-per-dollar value, but the K712 brings a bit more refinement and balance.  I don't think you can go wrong with either one though.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #186 of 373
  Hey guys, I have a pair of X1s and the pads are collecting the infamous white fluff of nasty. Are there replacements available or can they be gently hand washed and drip-dried?

You mean...lint?  All headphones will collect that, but if you want to get rid of it I would blot some sticky tape over the pads to grab it out. 

The X1 pads are glued on and not replaceable (yet).  I'm sure you can pull them off, wash them, dry them (thoroughly) and put them back on though, but they shouldn't need that unless they've seen several years of heavy use IMO. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #187 of 373
Now on Amazon!! - get your "I Love Fidelio Decorated Mouse Pad" for the truly sad and demented
blink.gif

Get it here!

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #190 of 373
mmmm this is my 1st post and i dont know whre to begin .. i guess will post my simple review for a noob's point of view .. and i would be happy to discuss and test some things for the x1 fidelio headphone

X1 fidelio .. well.. advantages:
1 great sound
2 very comfortable
3 good bass
4 you can hear multiple sounds and instruments in the same time

cons:
1 treble a bit high
2 well from one used to closed headphones i feel sound a bit weird
3 well if you have a room mate forget it

let's talk about the deal breaker to me .. i used the headphones with no problems apparent at all even at high volume and normal content .. but after i bought it by one week i found some tests on the net to test headphone capabilities .. so i tried them and the X1 did a good job except in 2 tests : bass test in which you hear a clear rattle in the right speaker when you increase the volume and this rattle does not appear in the left speaker except after 7 DB difference increase .. so definitely the right speaker is faulty but when stressed to the limits .. another test is tone equality in which tone heard should be in the center across all frequencies but in high frequencies the sound deviates from center

so build quality is not top notch after all and hence my 3 out 5 score .. heaphones with this price should be flawless in the build quality department .. also my hd 202 sennheiser does not exhibits these faults even it cost like 20 usd while these cost me 300 usd

and too bad i decided to keep the headphones as i traveled to india and returning them will cost me a lot of hassle .. but apart from this issue the problem is not detected in normal content and volume

so what is your opinion ?? share with me your opinions and the website withe audio tests i meant is :
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php
bass quality and driver matching tests

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #191 of 373
let's talk about the deal breaker to me .. i used the headphones with no problems apparent at all even at high volume and normal content .. but after i bought it by one week i found some tests on the net to test headphone capabilities .. so i tried them and the X1 did a good job except in 2 tests : bass test in which you hear a clear rattle in the right speaker when you increase the volume and this rattle does not appear in the left speaker except after 7 DB difference increase .. so definitely the right speaker is faulty but when stressed to the limits .. another test is tone equality in which tone heard should be in the center across all frequencies but in high frequencies the sound deviates from center

so build quality is not top notch after all and hence my 3 out 5 score .. heaphones with this price should be flawless in the build quality department .. also my hd 202 sennheiser does not exhibits these faults even it cost like 20 usd while these cost me 300 usd

and too bad i decided to keep the headphones as i traveled to india and returning them will cost me a lot of hassle .. but apart from this issue the problem is not detected in normal content and volume

As you said, it sounds like your right side is faulty/defective.  I wouldn't make a general statement about the headphone's build quality being bad because your particular unit is faulty though.  You just got a lemon unfortunately.  You can return or not, since it sounds like it's not a problem in normal listening.  I've also gotten a headphone that rattled on one side and gone through the exchange process (different headphone).

The center test tone fluctuating some in the high frequencies is more normal and of less concern.  I've heard it fluctuate on several pairs of headphones, and it's not like you will be able to hear that the drivers aren't 100% identically matched in normal listening. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #192 of 373

As you said, it sounds like your right side is faulty/defective.  I wouldn't make a general statement about the headphone's build quality being bad because your particular unit is faulty though.  You just got a lemon unfortunately.  You can return or not, since it sounds like it's not a problem in normal listening.  I've also gotten a headphone that rattled on one side and gone through the exchange process (different headphone).

The center test tone fluctuating some in the high frequencies is more normal and of less concern.  I've heard it fluctuate on several pairs of headphones, and it's not like you will be able to hear that the drivers aren't 100% identically matched in normal listening. 

well i might have agreed to your opinion couple of hours ago .. but i went to a friend happen to have the x1 fidelio too and i tried his headphones and the right speaker have no problem at all but the left one developed the same rattle like mine .. soooo do you still think the build quality is alright .. at least the two drivers should be matched 

so i think that these headphones under high stress and high volume using amp while playing deep low frequency bass rattles and is not fit for these low frequencies at high volume .. both my gardo s80i and sennheiser hd 202 didn't develop such rattle .. i also thinks philips poorly match these drivers

some may say that i pushed the speakers to the limits using a synthetic pattern  and not heard normally among songs or movies but remain the fact that much less priced headphones  succeeded in what the x1 failed

so i don't think that my new headphones is faulty neither my friend's .. so if you please can help me and try to replicate the conditions and tell me whether this is normal or abnormal so i can take a decision of replacing the headphones or not
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php
the test is called bass shaker try it using an amp or avr on high volume and you will hear the rattle in the 1st 5 seconds and the end of the clip
if you didnt hear it in the 1st 5 seconds increase volume and i am sure you will hear it

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #193 of 373
3 well if you have a room mate forget it

Does it really leak that much? Until now I had a Sennheiser PC 165 USB Headset which is also open. When I turned up the volume to something I personally wouldn't stand long-term my girlfriend complained...
For normal listening on mid volume it was ok for her.

Can I expect the same from the X1s?

Greetz, Unr3aL

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #194 of 373
Does it really leak that much? Until now I had a Sennheiser PC 165 USB Headset which is also open. When I turned up the volume to something I personally wouldn't stand long-term my girlfriend complained...
For normal listening on mid volume it was ok for her.

Can I expect the same from the X1s?

Greetz, Unr3aL

if you like turning the volume all the way it leaks a lot like a tv speaker lol
if you hear normal volume level i think it is very bearable but still some roommates will not find it acceptable

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #195 of 373
  well i might have agreed to your opinion couple of hours ago .. but i went to a friend happen to have the x1 fidelio too and i tried his headphones and the right speaker have no problem at all but the left one developed the same rattle like mine .. soooo do you still think the build quality is alright .. at least the two drivers should be matched

Yeah. 

My pair works perfectly fine and there hasn't been any widespread reports of build quality issues.  Two anecdotal incidences don't constitute a widespread problem, and I searched the X1 thread and saw no other mentions of bass rattle. 

The driver matching is fine and comparable to the other headphones I've tried.  Pricier headphones still fluctuate on high frequencies, and it's not something you'll ever hear outside of a frequency sweep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back