Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison
Nov 5, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #348 of 373
You might not believe in burn-in or cable affecting audio but maybe You should just try those things before judging so fast with little playtime?
Whats Your hurry? They say that X1/X2 need  ~150-200h playtime (with amping preferred) to properly settle down. X2 treble should smoothen out somewhat (read baycode review after "burn-in" process) and also clamping pressure/position affects it. X1 bass & kick gets tighter and overall sound littlebit clearer. I think it all has something to do with those "gel filled" driver membranes (don`t know exact term) "adjusting" to vibration after some playtime. But who knows... just assumption. For the record, I did my "burn-in" process without listening to it meanwhile and they changed noticeably for better (my girlfriend also thinks so).

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #350 of 373
  You might not believe in burn-in or cable affecting audio but maybe You should just try those things before judging so fast with little playtime?
Whats Your hurry? They say that X1/X2 need  ~150-200h playtime (with amping preferred) to properly settle down. X2 treble should smoothen out somewhat (read baycode review after "burn-in" process) and also clamping pressure/position affects it. X1 bass & kick gets tighter and overall sound littlebit clearer. I think it all has something to do with those "gel filled" driver membranes (don`t know exact term) "adjusting" to vibration after some playtime. But who knows... just assumption. For the record, I did my "burn-in" process without listening to it meanwhile and they changed noticeably for better (my girlfriend also thinks so).

I dunno, many people have done objective tests for burn in and they found only very slight changes. Subjectively I have been told to do the same with the last 4-5 headphones I tried, and they didn't change. Either way, the treble relative to the midrange of the X2 is quite high, and deviates pretty far from the hardon curve after 3khz. This means it will be perceived as hot treble. There is no way burn in will drop treble by 5db. 

I think in the end we all hear differently. The X1 and X2 are nice headphones, but they are not for everyone. No headphone is for everyone...

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #351 of 373

I think in the end we all hear differently. The X1 and X2 are nice headphones, but they are not for everyone. No headphone is for everyone...

Hit the nail. Agreed. I love X1 with my setup sooo much that I tend to forget this 
tongue.gif
 Ppl forget about what they actually hear and try to follow those curves & graphs which is also wrong imho. One can do that but what`s the point when human ears/brain make it result different to each person?

Anyway, just finished watching Porcupine Tree live HD-DVD and imho it sounds so spot-on, especially bass is just awesome and so lifelike to me (I`m a former bass player btw) that less bass would be maybe "recessed" for my taste. And repeating myself - I hate bassy cans and I`m definitely not basshead.

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #352 of 373
  Really liking what I am hearing!....

....I'm just going to return them.

confused.gif
  Haha, well alright then.

I would but I think it has too much treble, it's pretty spikey up top. The X1 with the X2 bass would have been perfect. 

FWIR, the X2 is supposed to be smoother sounding up top than the X1, so it might be worth trying.

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #353 of 373
X1 spikey up top? Then it must be too less "burn-in" time and not good amp/dac match. I definitely do not find X1 treble spikey in any way with my desktop setup. DX50 is also very good and no touble with treble.
But maybe he is uber-sensitive to treble, who knows.

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #354 of 373
Everyone who is interested in these go to this website and vote
https://www.massdrop.com/vote/philips-fidelio-x1lets-bring-em-back?s=phillips%20fidelio
if they get enough votes they will get really cheap. 
I really want these headphones but I can't pay $300.

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #355 of 373
Gave my vote  also for X1. I don`t understand why they are so underrated and don`t deserve attention like X2. Well, cable issue and small headband for larger than average heads maybe cause of this. And don`t understand that stupidity with removable pads. Those pads are very durable! And also removable and replaceable when opened up carefully first time. And they should be 1:1 with X2 pads.
And let me remind You that before X2... X1 was on the wall of Fame @ innerfidelity. That says pretty much! 
Will buy another set of X1 if this drop goes through. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #356 of 373
The X1 isn't underated. It's a pretty popular headphone. The reason the X2 is hyped is because the X1 was so well received and well regarded.

Nov 28, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #357 of 373
These are currently $180 through the amazon lightning deal: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X1-28-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00B3QD94O/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417198772&sr=1-2&keywords=Philips+Fidelio+x2

I'm looking for something that's very close to the Hifiman HE-400 in terms of sonic quality: the more "fun sounding" U shape boost in treble and bass, the quality and quantity of bass, the soundstage, and its perfect match with EDM's, but MUCH more comfortable and lighter to wear than the HE-400. I had to return the HE-400's because it was causing neck pains and getting too hot and heavy after extended wearing. I listen to mostly EDM's so I like speed as well. How are these in terms of looking for a more comfortable replacement for the HE-400's?

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #358 of 373
X1 is great for EDM if You change cable and use little amping for tigter bass.

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #359 of 373
What's the recommended aftermarket cable for the X1? How does it pair with the Magni?

Also, how does the bass/subbass compare to those of the HD400/400i? I'm getting the X1 next week and can't wait to hear it myself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back