Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison
Sep 23, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #332 of 373
  If you put a gun to my head and said "pick which sounds better" I'd probably pick the X1 at the moment. It's not a knockout victory, more like a ref decision after a fifteen round brawl, but the X1 takes it for being a little more linear and having a much bigger soundstage. The M100 has more subbass, largely thanks to its closed back, and it's the kind of bass you can physically feel due to how the headphone really does sit AGAINST your ear, while the X1 has less mid/upper recess and the bass is big but not as "physical". The M100 sounds more "mechanical" than the X1, but is also much more in your face. The music sounds like you're pressed up against the amplifiers whereas the X1 sounds more like you're sitting in the audience. The X1 is more relaxed, the M100 is more aggressive. It's VERY hard for me to pick which one of those two sounds I like better, but maybe it's the novelty of it that makes me like the X1 more RIGHT NOW.

HOWEVER, there are other factors at play. To my feeling, the M100 with XL pads are far and away more pleasurable to wear. They hug the head just tightly enough that it feels secure, the pads are comfy, and the size is adjustable. The X1 is looser on the head and uses and auto-adjust system that works fine, but leaves the wearer feeling like the set is more "resting atop your head" rather than stuck to it. 

Then there's open vs closed and portability. The X1 is an enormous (and I mean enormous) open-back headphone while the M100 is an incredibly compact closed-back headphone. The X1 is not something you'll ever be wearing while on the go. It's just too big, leaks sound, lets in outside noise, and doesn't hold tightly enough to the head to feel good if you're on a subway or something. Additionally, the X1 seems a tad harder to drive. Using the same cable on a Macbook Pro, the M100 is at adequate volume at 50% or a little under, the X1 needs about 75% (I do like my music louder, admittedly). This could be an open/closed issue, but the point is you'll need some extra oomph over the M100.

It comes down to where you'll be using them and what you like. My M100s are sitting on the holder right now and I've actually been using the X1 over my SE846 for desktop listening (dat soundstage), but you could probably flip a coin between them and be totally happy either way. I sat here, swapping back and forth, and it was extremely hard for me to pick which one I thought sounded better. I enjoy the X1 at the moment thanks to the air and openness to the sound, but putting the M100 back on made me go "ahhhh, yes" all over again. If I had to say which is the overall better package? The M100 thanks to greater portability and how easy it is to drive. If you're staying at your desk? The X1 thanks to the bigger soundstage and more "natural" feel.

Both look cool as hell IMO, haha. And bonus Pandoras just because.

Appreciate your thoroughness, +1 is not enough.

Yeah it's kind of an awkward comparison with 100s being semi-closed.

Seems like the best of both worlds involve having the X1s at home and M100s outside which was my original plan.

M100s would definitely be a more of an upgrade than a sidegrade since I'm coming from ATH-M50s.

Ever thought of being a salesman? I was pretty sold on the X1s, but you just gave me more reason not to look back.

Will be saving pennies to own both...one day :p

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #333 of 373
  Appreciate your thoroughness, +1 is not enough.

Yeah it's kind of an awkward comparison with 100s being semi-closed.

Seems like the best of both worlds involve having the X1s at home and M100s outside which was my original plan.

M100s would definitely be a more of an upgrade than a sidegrade since I'm coming from ATH-M50s.

Ever thought of being a salesman? I was pretty sold on the X1s, but you just gave me more reason not to look back.

Will be saving pennies to own both...one day :p

Haha, no problem. I dunno about sales, but I'd be a happy guy if I could freelance review headphones once in a while. 

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #334 of 373
  I think the x1 is too unengaged for vocal. if we are quoting Queen Cerses then there should not be a middle ground. I would rather pin x1 as simply recessed in the mid. I would call that out just so people are aware of the issue. When people buy expensive cans for music and listen to vocals and don't get engaged as much it really defeats part of the purpose, depending on situation. Definitely something to consider when choosing x1.

But I disagree with your statement that vocals cannot sound good or the mid just goes through the song. The approach is not only good in movies and games, it all depends on the listener's taste.

For songs that are fun or cynical, you want x1. For songs that are heartbreaking, you would appreciate something else more.

Also I find the treble on X1 kind of sugarcoated and wrapped and twisted. It is certainly never piercing, but it never feels detailed and enthralling either. The more I listen the more I realize the x1 is not a pair of can to expect wow factor out of. It is really just that girl next door vibe. A very sexy girl next door, but still a girl next door.

Interesting post, I just feel that vocals on the X1 are actually very good. If they are unengaging it seems it's usually the recording that's at fault. Vocals on the X1 greatly benefit from the boost in the midbass (like most sennheiser headphones), making male vocals sound appropriately deep and female vocals get that bit of warmth to them.

I do agree that the X1 doesn't have the refinement like for instance the DT880. On the 880, all parts of the frequency reponse can stand out. The bass is beautifully textured and gentle, the mids can really wow you at times and many instruments sound great, and the treble is also very worthwhile with lots of presence and air. All in all it makes for a headphone with lots of ability and qualities, simply a very interesting listen.

The Fidelio is not like this. The bass doesn't quite hit the sweet spot the DT880 does, the midrange never really wows, and the treble is happy to just hang in the back a bit.

But the funny thing is... just listening to music, none of that matters, the Fidelio is just so easy and enjoyable to listen to. Nothing really stands out, it's just great sounding music. I think this will be the reason I eventually sell the DT880. Although I adore that headphone, I came into this hobby just looking for a great solution to just enjoy music, and like most people I had lost sight of this, experimenting with many headphones just to find what works best. With X1 maybe I can end this search. For me it hits the sweet spot in all important areas. It's resolving but not too resolving, the sound is smooth and mature but not distractingly so, the frequency response works very well for the music I like, the soundstage is nice and big, and last but not least it's extremely comfortable. Sure, I will never get those moments of pure awe that I have had with the DT880, but on the other hand, the X1 makes me not even care anymore.

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #335 of 373
I wan't to not care anymore. I think somewhere along the way I have forgotten to enjoy the music. I keep spending money and can't find what I want. I think I am going to pick up a set of these... 

Sure, I will never get those moments of pure awe that I have had with the DT880, but on the other hand, the X1 makes me not even care anymore.

I have now sold off my LCD2s, HD650, Q701 and many more, and I am trying to decide between the X1 and X2 before I get out of this hobby. I would go for the X2 but I am questioning how peaky, sibilant, edgy it is. My worry is based on the below comment from tyll. Just for comparison I found the he500 sibilant in some songs, the LCD2 Fazor has mild sibilance but edgier in some songs (can live with it), the hd650 perfect, the AKG K712/Q701 peaky, sibilant but smooth. Any thoughts if I should just go straight for the X1?

Only a slight tendency to be a tad edgy mars this otherwise excellent headphone's performance.

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #336 of 373
First off, when You do get X1, measure stock cable impedance. If it is around 1Ohm then it should be ok but when it is around 3Ohm (my stock cable had 2.4Ohm), then recommend to change it for better low-impedance cable. They are cheap @ amazon or eBay.
It will result tighter bass & kick and littlebit clearer sound.
Secondly, let it "burn-in" for some time. I recommend leaving them playing under normal volume with littlebit amping for about week at least. Don`t judge it by first ~50h, these cans will change, highs region will get smoother, mids will tad "open up" and bass gets tighter.
Some say that these cans don`t benefit from amping but I find opposite. With good matching amp it will improve even more bass & kick tightness and "open up" overall sound further. Tube amps and tube buffered dacs seem to be good for X1. Are You going to use any amping?
And I see that You like HD650. If You haven`t read headfonia review about X1, then do it, might clear up some things because the HD650 was also mentioned in there. And I agree with that review, X1 benefits most from tube sound, especially with right tube like Siemens E88CC that smoothens out treble, boosts mids section and tightens up bass&kick.
For what it counts, I`m really happy with my setup and end result ;P I see NO reason for upgrading. My music taste is very wide and they do great with everything I throw at them. But I do want to note out that with well mastered records and complex music like for example O.R.Lopez, Steven Wilson, The Mars Volta, Tool etc. ...they sound just awesome. Big "bubble shaped" soundstage with great depth towards front and "outside of head" speakers-like presentation. So many layers and great transparency, distance/air-space between instruments/sounds. I could go on ranting about these cans... but they are special, for me at least (with my setup) ;P

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #337 of 373

Interesting post, I just feel that vocals on the X1 are actually very good. If they are unengaging it seems it's usually the recording that's at fault. Vocals on the X1 greatly benefit from the boost in the midbass (like most sennheiser headphones), making male vocals sound appropriately deep and female vocals get that bit of warmth to them.

I do agree that the X1 doesn't have the refinement like for instance the DT880. On the 880, all parts of the frequency reponse can stand out. The bass is beautifully textured and gentle, the mids can really wow you at times and many instruments sound great, and the treble is also very worthwhile with lots of presence and air. All in all it makes for a headphone with lots of ability and qualities, simply a very interesting listen.

The Fidelio is not like this. The bass doesn't quite hit the sweet spot the DT880 does, the midrange never really wows, and the treble is happy to just hang in the back a bit.

But the funny thing is... just listening to music, none of that matters, the Fidelio is just so easy and enjoyable to listen to. Nothing really stands out, it's just great sounding music. I think this will be the reason I eventually sell the DT880. Although I adore that headphone, I came into this hobby just looking for a great solution to just enjoy music, and like most people I had lost sight of this, experimenting with many headphones just to find what works best. With X1 maybe I can end this search. For me it hits the sweet spot in all important areas. It's resolving but not too resolving, the sound is smooth and mature but not distractingly so, the frequency response works very well for the music I like, the soundstage is nice and big, and last but not least it's extremely comfortable. Sure, I will never get those moments of pure awe that I have had with the DT880, but on the other hand, the X1 makes me not even care anymore.

i absolutely agree with you in the vocals section, it's even better than my senn's because the worm feeling. and yes it's not very refined, despite i can hear some hissing and noise in the sound i could not hear it before with the senn's(i don't know if that a good thing or a bad thing) but of course it all depends on the source(i play mp3 files mainly). but for the bass section i can tell you that for some songs i feel like i'm wearing a subwoofer.and i like that. all i wish with the X1 just to have more clarity and the amazing treble that the senn's have.  

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #338 of 373
I tried the X2 cable on my X1 and now the bass is much tighter as it should have been first time around. I actually prefer this set up to the new X2's. Has anyone tried this yet and if so let me know your thoughts on the differences.

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #339 of 373
I went for the X1s. I should have them by wednesday. Thanks for replies guys, totally sold me on these :wink:. I already have a vmoda cable, and a o2/odac so i should be all set. Finally a open headphone with bass and a good soundstage!

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #340 of 373
Just a reminder... don`t judge them on first listen. Let them burn for a while :wink: 

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #341 of 373
Screw it, I just judged them. They do remind me a lot of the HD650 but warmer and with some seriously big bass. Still smooth treble, no sibilance whatsoever (very sensitive to this). Really liking what I am hearing!

As soon as I put them on I felt they reminded me much of the KOSS porta pros. Then I went and compared their measurements... 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/KossPortaPro.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX1.pdf

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #342 of 373
  ...and with some seriously big bass. 

Imho, it`s not like "constant" thing, "big" bass is only there when it`s needed and apparent in recording. These cans just have ability to play out all that bass, a feature which I think many cans lack.
Now... let those babies "burn-in" for a while, it will get better :wink:

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #344 of 373
  Not a big believer in burn in, but what changes would you say I can expect?

Whatever you expect, is what you can expect...
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #345 of 373
Lol, K. I'm just going to return them. It's fine at low volumes but if I turn it up the bass is a little too much. I kinda wish someone made an open headphone using the harman curve. It also doesn't help that my heads too big for the headband. Back to searching...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back