Philips Fidelio S1 and S2 - New IEMs with semi-closed back
Dec 28, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #286 of 367
Yeah. Sold my S2's pretty quickly. The sound was good. Not great. Just good, and the fit was fine, but the comfort was not so much. Those large casings, to get a good seal, need to be pressed close to the ear, which causes a bit of soreness over long listens. I liked how good they looked though. The M200 is vastly superior to the S2. Now if only I can get my M200's replaced?

The M200 is also twice the price of the S2's.

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #288 of 367
OK, my mistake. I've just seen the M200 at $199 at Amazon and the S2's are $103 there.

Where did you find the M200 at $140?

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #289 of 367
OK, my mistake. I've just seen the M200 at $199 at Amazon and the S2's are $103 there.

Where did you find the M200 at $140?

I got mine new on ebay. amazon tends to be a bit more spendy for stuff, and doesn't accept paypal. I just felt the Fidelio S2 was equal to the VSD1S sonically, and despite the gorgeous appearance and accessories, it wasn't far enough from the $40.00 VSD1S for me to justify keeping them, though sonically they are good. Very good, just not as good as advertised. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #290 of 367
Thank you, I'll keep an eye on eBay for the M200's :)

I already have the S2 and enjoy it a lot. No comfort issues for me luckily.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #291 of 367
Thank you, I'll keep an eye on eBay for the M200's :)

I already have the S2 and enjoy it a lot. No comfort issues for me luckily.

I believe you'd enjoy them immensely. Yeah comfort issues were my biggest issue. It's cool you don't have that, so you can enjoy the S2 fully.

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #292 of 367
  Yeah. Sold my S2's pretty quickly. The sound was good. Not great. Just good, and the fit was fine, but the comfort was not so much. Those large casings, to get a good seal, need to be pressed close to the ear, which causes a bit of soreness over long listens. I liked how good they looked though. The M200 is vastly superior to the S2. Now if only I can get my M200's replaced?

I have the S1 which is similar to the S2.  It is the best fitting IEM for me and have no comfort issues.  The typical "L" shaped IEM's, on the other hands, do not fit my ears well, so it all boils down to individuals.

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #293 of 367
I have the S1 which is similar to the S2.  It is the best fitting IEM for me and have no comfort issues.  The typical "L" shaped IEM's, on the other hands, do not fit my ears well, so it all boils down to individuals.

Totally agree with you

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #294 of 367
I got these this week. I really love how clear the midrange is on these. Really a big step up from the Citiscape Underground. Does anyone know where I can replacement  Comply™ Foam Tips for the S2 online? The other tips are not bad, but  Comply™ Foam Tips have always given me the best sound quality and fit.

I think after these I'm a believer in open headphones. Makes me sad I missed out on the Fidelio X1 being only $150! I couldn't spare the money after I had just bought the Fidelio S2.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #295 of 367
I got these this week. I really love how clear the midrange is on these. Really a big step up from the Citiscape Underground. Does anyone know where I can replacement  Comply™ Foam Tips for the S2 online? The other tips are not bad, but  Comply™ Foam Tips have always given me the best sound quality and fit.

I think after these I'm a believer in open headphones. Makes me sad I missed out on the Fidelio X1 being only $150! I couldn't spare the money after I had just bought the Fidelio S2.

http://www.complyfoam.com/fidelio-s2/

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #296 of 367
I just got my pair of the s2. I love the sound but only up to a specific sound level. Then comes the real ugly treble. The problem is on both my phone and on my laptop (probably worse here). The sound level is pretty high but not "when favorite song gets on" high. I have tried all the tips even the foam but it doesn't change that much. I heard these need a good seal to be good so I tried the seal test and I needed to change the eq on the bass 1db to be satisfied. But then the test isn't for this manufactor so I guess its ok and its hard to compare the level of two totaly different sound. I have not used this shallow in ears before so its hard to tell.

So my question is, do I need an amplifier? As the laptop kills treble before the phone does I have a hard time believing that the problem is the s2. If I do need an amplifier what is a good one for daily use outdoors?

Sorry for any misspellings as I write this on a cracked phone

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #297 of 367
I've had the S2's for about a week now and am really enjoying them. I needed a break from my V6-S ciem's and am finding the S2 better than I expected. I use them with a PC with JRiver MC to a USB isolator/power supply connecting a Dragonfly DAC to a BH2 amp. Very nice, clean, and inexpensive kit. I have no complaints about the SQ of the S2 and feel nothing is missing for this price point. I wasn't sure about the fit, but I seem to be getting a good enough seal, and can't really get them any more into my ears anyway.

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #298 of 367
I just got my pair of the s2. I love the sound but only up to a specific sound level. Then comes the real ugly treble. The problem is on both my phone and on my laptop (probably worse here). The sound level is pretty high but not "when favorite song gets on" high. I have tried all the tips even the foam but it doesn't change that much. I heard these need a good seal to be good so I tried the seal test and I needed to change the eq on the bass 1db to be satisfied. But then the test isn't for this manufactor so I guess its ok and its hard to compare the level of two totaly different sound. I have not used this shallow in ears before so its hard to tell.

So my question is, do I need an amplifier? As the laptop kills treble before the phone does I have a hard time believing that the problem is the s2. If I do need an amplifier what is a good one for daily use outdoors?

Sorry for any misspellings as I write this on a cracked phone

I went back to the store with these and tried 5 other pairs of IEMs and realised that even with this treble problem these were still the most enjoyable due to quality and sound. So I went back and bought another pair. With an eq on my pc it sounded pretty good but still pretty bad with my phone as the eq settings on it only goes up to 6k hz. Then I had some problem when exercising with my ears so I tried to remove all the cerumen in my ears and guess what? These IEMs is now the best I have ever used and the treble problem is gone to 99% :D Before trying these after the removing I thought that it would get worse because the cerumen would block the treble and not the bass, guess I was wrong!

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #299 of 367
  I went back to the store with these and tried 5 other pairs of IEMs and realised that even with this treble problem these were still the most enjoyable due to quality and sound. So I went back and bought another pair. With an eq on my pc it sounded pretty good but still pretty bad with my phone as the eq settings on it only goes up to 6k hz. Then I had some problem when exercising with my ears so I tried to remove all the cerumen in my ears and guess what? These IEMs is now the best I have ever used and the treble problem is gone to 99% :D Before trying these after the removing I thought that it would get worse because the cerumen would block the treble and not the bass, guess I was wrong!

Did you burn in?  I heard that they improve with burn-in.  Maybe none of the stock tips seal well for you, or maybe you're looking for a smoother IEM.  The Complies killed the treble for me (in a bad way).  I'm using the stock medium silicone I think.

I listened to mine after 48 hours and I don't find the treble harsh.  Need to listen to them more before I add them to my sig.

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #300 of 367
  Did you burn in?  I heard that they improve with burn-in.  Maybe none of the stock tips seal well for you, or maybe you're looking for a smoother IEM.  The Complies killed the treble for me (in a bad way).  I'm using the stock medium silicone I think.

I listened to mine after 48 hours and I don't find the treble harsh.  Need to listen to them more before I add them to my sig.

No I havn't done any burn in, just listening for like 20-40hours now.
I have ordered UEs tripple tips (tried beats tour tripple and they sealed really tight)  as none of the stock tips sealed great but the comply ones does it okay when I use the big one in the right ear and the small one in the left ear. I will try again tomorrow to listen with the stock tips just to see how it changes, I'll get the UE tips this or the next week and as they do sound great now even with just a little bit of treble problems, after I flushed my ears, I'm not in any kind of hurry. But still interesting that you said that the comply killed the treble so that means I might get even better sound... These IEMs are getting more and more worth the $200 I paid for them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back