Philips Fidelio L2
Jun 12, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #496 of 1,146
I finally gave up on finding these from a U.S. reseller anytime soon, and ordered a pair from Amazon.it for 248.97 USD shipped.  Amazon.es had them similarly priced for the last month (~187 €) , but just today raised that to 265 €.  I was worried this might presage a significant hike at Amazon.it, so I jumped.

What also prompted me to buy now rather than wait for the supposed June release in the U.S. was this bummer of a message I received today from a rep at redmedia (redmedia.biz) that handles their Philips account:  "I apologize, the news is not good.  The retailer we thought will be carrying the L2s, will not be after all.  At this time there are not plans to sell them online, but that may change as things get finalized for the year end.

In other words, if this person is getting reliable info from inside Philips, it looks as if the L2 won't be available from any U.S. dealer, including the online Philips U.S. store, until much later in the year, if even at that.  Hopefully that gloomy forecast will prove wrong.  

But what a bizarre marketing department Philips USA has, since they've been listing the L2 on their web site since Spring.  I mean, if they're going to tout these headphones on their own website, the least they could do is offer them for sale in their online store.  If you want a really good laugh, I called that store today, and was told I could pick up the L2 at Walmart!!   It took some effort to bulldoze the news into that person's brain that the L2 wasn't for sale anywhere in the U.S., not even at the highly esteemed Walmart.  They finally owned up to that after checking walmart.com, then excused themselves for a minute or two--apparently to confer with higher ups--and came back and told me the L2 in the U.S was being sold under a different model number: the X1.   The deep breaths I gulped to keep from exploding!

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #498 of 1,146
  Looking to get a pair of the L2s as on Amazon they are down to £152, seems a bit of a bargain. One question regarding the remote, does it have the volume up and down or is it only a mic and play and pause?

To answer my own question, yes it does have the volume up and down for iOS according to Phillips UK Customer services. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #499 of 1,146
  I finally gave up on finding these from a U.S. reseller anytime soon, and ordered a pair from Amazon.it for 248.97 USD shipped.  Amazon.es had them similarly priced for the last month (~187 €) , but just today raised that to 265 €.  I was worried this might presage a significant hike at Amazon.it, so I jumped.

What also prompted me to buy now rather than wait for the supposed June release in the U.S. was this bummer of a message I received today from a rep at redmedia (redmedia.biz) that handles their Philips account:  "I apologize, the news is not good.  The retailer we thought will be carrying the L2s, will not be after all.  At this time there are not plans to sell them online, but that may change as things get finalized for the year end.

In other words, if this person is getting reliable info from inside Philips, it looks as if the L2 won't be available from any U.S. dealer, including the online Philips U.S. store, until much later in the year, if even at that.  Hopefully that gloomy forecast will prove wrong.  

But what a bizarre marketing department Philips USA has, since they've been listing the L2 on their web site since Spring.  I mean, if they're going to tout these headphones on their own website, the least they could do is offer them for sale in their online store.  If you want a really good laugh, I called that store today, and was told I could pick up the L2 at Walmart!!   It took some effort to bulldoze the news into that person's brain that the L2 wasn't for sale anywhere in the U.S., not even at the highly esteemed Walmart.  They finally owned up to that after checking walmart.com, then excused themselves for a minute or two--apparently to confer with higher ups--and came back and told me the L2 in the U.S was being sold under a different model number: the X1.   The deep breaths I gulped to keep from exploding!

I am kinda scratching my head in regards to Philips not releasing these.. They are sitting on one of the best sounding cans for the price and they are sluggish to sell them in the US makes absolute no sense to me. I am lucky I bought a pair from a fellow headfier but knowing how fantastic these cans truly are. I don't understand at all why they are waiting so long to release them or if they are going to release them.

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #500 of 1,146
It is strange because the L2 has been a fully formed product for almost a year. I know that because it was reviewed in Hifi News in around July 13. The only reason I can think of this is, while it is has very good SQ, it does not suit American tastes/ears. Perhaps they might release an X2 instead but that would be in 2015 at the earliest I imagine.

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #501 of 1,146
  It is strange because the L2 has been a fully formed product for almost a year. I know that because it was reviewed in Hifi News in around July 13. The only reason I can think of this is, while it is has very good SQ, it does not suit American tastes/ears. Perhaps they might release an X2 instead but that would be in 2015 at the earliest I imagine.

I bet when they release the X2 it will be back to the countries where the L2 is selling now as they start selling the L2 in the US. The X1 just started selling in my country a month back… (I got my L2 from HK)

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #502 of 1,146
I recently purchased a silver cable from Hamlet (Paco) http://cableshamlet.blogspot.fr/ to replace the stock cable from my Fidelio L2 (i don't need remote and microphone) and i have to say that this is quite an improvement. Bass is slightly tighter, highs are less harsh, and the soundstage increased significantly. For only slightly over 60 euros i do recommend these ! (plus Paco works fast and is utterly nice).
Hooked to my Fiio X5 DAP, i really love this combo ! 

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #503 of 1,146
  I recently purchased a silver cable from Hamlet (Paco) http://cableshamlet.blogspot.fr/ to replace the stock cable from my Fidelio L2 (i don't need remote and microphone) and i have to say that this is quite an improvement. Bass is slightly tighter, highs are less harsh, and the soundstage increased significantly. For only slightly over 60 euros i do recommend these ! (plus Paco works fast and is utterly nice).

I always thought that a silver cable would, if anything, make the highs/treble more forward and present. Then again, I'm unsure whether it also smooths it out. That being said, I have yet to buy an aftermarket cable for my L2 as I'm saving for a better DAC. I am interested in seeing cable pairings with the L2. Smaller changes are more appreciable and noticeable with transparent gear.

Jun 27, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #504 of 1,146

Could you post a picture of the cable please?
Could you please also be so kind to describe how the cable is behaving on microphonics and tangling?

I recently bought de L2, after comparing quite a few headphones, tested in several shops using my Ibasso DX90 as source.
..... Philips made a very nice headphone

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #505 of 1,146
Agh, why does the US release keep getting delayed? Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth waiting so long for it, but then I would always read Headfonia's review and that strengthens my resolve. 

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #506 of 1,146
  Agh, why does the US release keep getting delayed? Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth waiting so long for it, but then I would always read Headfonia's review and that strengthens my resolve. 

Maybe it has less credibility as I'm a fan of Headfonia but I agree about what Lieven and Mike said about the Fidelio L2. Even Jude likes it, check out the Head-Fi Winter Guide!!! He finds it to be a huge sound improvement and considers it to be one, if not his reference portable over-ear.

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #507 of 1,146
  I recently bought de L2, after comparing quite a few headphones, tested in several shops using my Ibasso DX90 as source.
..... Philips made a very nice headphone

Don't you find it to be sibilant with the DX90? 

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #508 of 1,146

Don't you find it to be sibilant with the DX90? 

No I don't

I understand your question, because both have an open and revealing character of sound
The combination isn't flattering to lesser quality recording because it just tells 'the truth'.
Because the L2 and the DX90 are both also pretty neutral sounding, they do not add anything that makes lesser quality recordings sound worse.

I haven't found recordings that sounded really bad to my ears. I just enjoy the musicality of the set and sometimes wonder how it's possible to get such audio enjoyment from a set you can use on the go

Btw
For true portability I would't recommend the L2. Then I find the phones too bulky. For commuting I use IEM's (Sennheiser IE8)

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #509 of 1,146
No I don't

I understand your question, because both have an open and revealing character of sound
The combination isn't flattering to lesser quality recording because it just tells 'the truth'.
Because the L2 and the DX90 are both also pretty neutral sounding, they do not add anything that makes lesser quality recordings sound worse.

I haven't found recordings that sounded really bad to my ears. I just enjoy the musicality of the set and sometimes wonder how it's possible to get such audio enjoyment from a set you can use on the go

Btw
For true portability I would't recommend the L2. Then I find the phones too bulky. For commuting I use IEM's (Sennheiser IE8)

I agree. The L2 is actually very close to neutral for me. I've never heard the DX90 but I always thought it would exhibit that metallic treble a lot of ESS based players/DACs have. I truly find the L2 to be better than the older flagships like the HD6x0s, the Beyer DTs, etc. They have this inherent clear yet smooth sound which isnt just the effect of an overly forward treble. I've never found them to be analytic either. I really wish more people would get to hear it too

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #510 of 1,146
I agree. The L2 is actually very close to neutral for me. I've never heard the DX90 but I always thought it would exhibit that metallic treble a lot of ESS based players/DACs have. I truly find the L2 to be better than the older flagships like the HD6x0s, the Beyer DTs, etc. They have this inherent clear yet smooth sound which isnt just the effect of an overly forward treble. I've never found them to be analytic either. I really wish more people would get to hear it too

I use my DX90 with the L2. The important aspect of the DX90 is that you have to burn the player in for a long time.. IBasso suggests 400 hours. I actually did this and on open box there was a bit of that sabre sheen. But that went away the first 24 hours or so of use. My L2 and the DX90 make an amazing pairing. Highly recommended as a player for the L2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back