Philips Fidelio L2
Jan 6, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #181 of 1,146
  I tried to do what you did but I get 195 euro at checkout, so you well done.

BTW how does the L2 compare with the HD650 & D600?

The hp50, from what I gather, is warm and smooth sounding. Hifi news rated it below the L2 because they aren't fans of that type of sound.

Just checked. It's still 163 EUR b4 shipping. Screenshot attached with expedited shipping, u can opt for priority though and save more. My country does impose tax for anything over 110 EUR so that added to the cost for import duties.

https://sites.google.com/site/dududubububu/home/fileserver/Picture%205.png

I don't want to comment much on the sound but switching from L2 to HD650 I would feel HD650 to be slightly veiled but after few minutes they just feel right and I don't feel like going back to the L2. The L2 does put alot of pressure on my head and is not that comfortable. The L2 sounds great on vocals, strings(traditional japanese music), there's nothing really to fault with the sound but my ears get tired after an hour or two. Will definitely keep HD650 over L2.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #182 of 1,146

Just checked. It's still 163 EUR b4 shipping. Screenshot attached with expedited shipping, u can opt for priority though and save more. My country does impose tax for anything over 110 EUR so that added to the cost for import duties.

https://sites.google.com/site/dududubububu/home/fileserver/Picture%205.png

I don't want to comment much on the sound but switching from L2 to HD650 I would feel HD650 to be slightly veiled but after few minutes they just feel right and I don't feel like going back to the L2. The L2 does put alot of pressure on my head and is not that comfortable. The L2 sounds great on vocals, strings(traditional japanese music), there's nothing really to fault with the sound but my ears get tired after an hour or two. Will definitely keep HD650 over L2.

Amazon.it seems to be changing the price and adding shipping & import duty according to what country you are from. I don't pay import duty so overall shipped cost for me would be 202 EUR. It's a shame that it didn't fit you, I read that they made L2 lighter and slimmer in build than the L1.

OK, for the european headfiers out there, I think I might have found a good deal on the L2 but there is a catch. The price of the L2 on Amazon.de is currently 180 EUR but if you add this to the cart you might see a reduction to 150 EUR. The catch is that you have to apply for the Amazon.de VISA card to get this price. I do not understand german but I gather the card has an annual charge which is waived in the first year and you can cancel the card at any time. If there are any german speakers who can clarify, that would be much appreciated. Also, I'm not sure if the credit card is available to non-germans.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #183 of 1,146
To clarify the above, I just translated the Ts &Cs. The Amazon.de card offer is only for German residents with a German bank account.

For the rest of us, 180€ is still a good a price.

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #184 of 1,146

If you had read the whole review you would have understood the L2 is great/better than the LCD2 and others because it needs absolutely no special source or amp. It performs fine with a minimal investment. Their review clearly says that you can get better sound with LCD/HE-500 but you will need a good and far more expensive setup (which again, the L2 doesn't require). The driver technology in the L2 however is of very high quality, and it can compete with the better headphones out there. But it's not only about the driver.

Oh, and there are no blocks for living next to the iLab, it's only companies 
wink.gif

I meant, i live nearby, like 30 km or so next to leuven :wink:

Anyway, you're right but they need a good source to shine, they don't fold up with my clip+, they need something like the fiio E17 to reveal the potential of that beast.

After some burnin, the high tend to mellow a bit to my ear. Don't know if it's me...

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #185 of 1,146

After some burnin, the high tend to mellow a bit to my ear. Don't know if it's me...

I have the same observation.

They do seem to shine only on better recordings, pop songs and the such sounded boring on them.

On the side note after comparing the L2 with the NAD Viso HP50 & PSBs, I think I would keep the L2s. The PSBs were decent but did not really impress whereas the HP50s sounded rather distant and the cups were smaller than the L2s making them sit on the ears, rather uncomfortable than the already not so comfortable L2. Build quality & finish on the L2 makes them look like toys next to each other, not like it matters here, lol.

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #186 of 1,146

I have the same observation.

They do seem to shine only on better recordings, pop songs and the such sounded boring on them.

On the side note after comparing the L2 with the NAD Viso HP50 & PSBs, I think I would keep the L2s. The PSBs were decent but did not really impress whereas the HP50s sounded rather distant and the cups were smaller than the L2s making them sit on the ears, rather uncomfortable than the already not so comfortable L2. Build quality & finish on the L2 makes them look like toys next to each other, not like it matters here, lol.

For the life of me I don't understand peoples like of the PSB and wonder if the VISO sounds the same.

I am not surprised you like the l2 more how do they do on reggae and classic rock? The l1 didn't make those genres sound boring and neither do the PSB.  

is the l2 more refined but more boring than the l1

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #188 of 1,146
Bought mine from Amazon UK last Friday got them yesterday.

I love mine, though I am not in any way shape or form qualified to describe / explain the qualities of headphones and I do have a very limited experience (in reality cheapo Sonys a pair of K550 and now the L2).

One comment I do have to make though and it is very obvious is that the bass is very much present in those and especially compared to the K550. The bass is also tight and controlled and definitely quite resolving and analytical, also more so than the K550. I need to make an A/B if only for my self to see if I can more clearly pick the differences. However the L2 sounds much much better to my ears. It also seals very well and feels very comfortable. 

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #191 of 1,146
Dsnuts got me curious about these headphones, but after reading through this thread I'm very much considering a purchase. I heard they don't release in the US until February so I've got some time to think about it.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #192 of 1,146
Some initial impressions.

Bass is thankfully not bloated but still reasonably punchy. Mids are ok, they don't seem recessed so that's a plus. Treble is nice, enough sparkle and extension, but not harsh and no sign of sibilance so far. Soundstage doesn't seem particularly large, it's ok I guess considering it's semi open. Isolation is better than I expected, definitely less than the Alpha Dogs.

Initial listening done using X3 and D100 MkII.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #194 of 1,146

Bass is thankfully not bloated but still reasonably punchy. Mids are ok, they don't seem recessed so that's a plus. Treble is nice, enough sparkle and extension, but not harsh and no sign of sibilance so far. Soundstage doesn't seem particularly large, it's ok I guess considering it's semi open. Isolation is better than I expected, definitely less than the Alpha Dogs.

+
  I should also add that the cable (I only tried the one without the inline mic/remote) was a bit microphonic.

^ Hmmm that is not sounding too promising. Seem like they ain't THAT much of an improvement over the L1s. Do you own the X1s by any chance and if you do how do these L2s compare???

The slightly recessed mids of the X1s was a deal breaker for me sadly and they didn't really WOW me esp. with their stock cable.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #195 of 1,146

I know you've only had them for a short time, but how do they compare to your LCD-2's?

There has been a lot of talk since Mikes article on Headfonia, so a comparison from someone who has both would be very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back