Philips Fidelio L2
Apr 11, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #422 of 1,146
Ooooh i do because they are tough to get back on my other'n n I don't want to scratch my l2's that are FS. The shure 1540 pads are a fight to get back on the t50rp

So I think I can recommend the l2 now. The bass is tight. They are light and look sick. And for their price hold up well despite it being too bright and nasally. But I clearly don't rem the l1 leaking this much. It leeks like a fully open. Even getting used to the sound is at the expense of being limited to home use so I'm still going to use the funds for an open back... Might as well.

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #423 of 1,146
Grizzly  did you get to play with cables at all on the L2 ? ...

I agree with You about the vocals it is the only thing I have an issue with .... The akg 550 has a nicer vocal presentation in my opinion... but I do like the clear revealing sound of the L2's ... They can sound quite ruthless at times resolving so much detail...

Have the M1BT on my head at the moment on bluetooth..... amazing how one manufacturer can create two SO different sounding headphones.... but these are cool for on the go.... and they don't leak..... and last 12 hours on one charge...

wondering what next to get .... hee hee...... 

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #424 of 1,146
Ooooh i do because they are tough to get back on my other'n n I don't want to scratch my l2's that are FS. The shure 1540 pads are a fight to get back on the t50rp

So I think I can recommend the l2 now. The bass is tight. They are light and look sick. And for their price hold up well despite it being too bright and nasally. But I clearly don't rem the l1 leaking this much. It leeks like a fully open. Even getting used to the sound is at the expense of being limited to home use so I'm still going to use the funds for an open back... Might as well.

What is your standard for a semi-open or portable full-sized?

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #425 of 1,146
  Grizzly  did you get to play with cables at all on the L2 ? ...

I agree with You about the vocals it is the only thing I have an issue with .... The akg 550 has a nicer vocal presentation in my opinion... but I do like the clear revealing sound of the L2's ... They can sound quite ruthless at times resolving so much detail...

Have the M1BT on my head at the moment on bluetooth..... amazing how one manufacturer can create two SO different sounding headphones.... but these are cool for on the go.... and they don't leak..... and last 12 hours on one charge...

hi, no I didnt play with the cables. I want it to be extremely new for whoever buys it because they are for sale now and cheaper than anyone else on here : ). Literally the only issue with the philips l2 is the balance. In reading about it, how they took a pole on what people like to hear most and tuned the hp based on that , I find that was the wrong way to go.

People know what they think they like but they dont really know what they would really like unless they try other things and gain experience. Those that have experience know what they really like.  Balance usually means realistic and believable. Funny how everyone likes bass but they make it neutral. 

SSOOOOO much potential. Literally the most potential of any hp I have heard anywhere near its price range. 

What is your standard for a semi-open or portable full-sized?

Sound wise a few come to mind. Sony 7520, German Maestro 8.35d, Focal Spirit Professional.

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #426 of 1,146

Only put a couple days of listening (no burn in) on my L2s, and am wondering for those who owned L2 for awhile:

does burn in help the vocals "smooth out" a bit compared to out of the box sound?

Thanks.

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #427 of 1,146
  1. jexby
  2. wrote

Only put a couple days of listening (no burn in) on my L2s, and am wondering for those who owned L2 for awhile:

does burn in help the vocals "smooth out" a bit compared to out of the box sound?

Thanks.

Have maybe 60 hours on them now and the sound is not changing much after the first 10 hours...

but really the overall presentation can be sorted by swapping cables to a good one... that helps that edge on the vocals and overall balance...

If I hadn't been listening to the AKG's I would not have even mentioned the vocals to be honest....

One thing to watch is don't let them grip your head to much... they make a good seal without a great deal of pressure and if they are too tight a fit they can sound brighter then required....  The depth and width are affected with too tight a fit also...

I find they make a better match to music played on AIMP3 than Foobar.... which seems odd..... and 96k 24 bit sound better... noticeably better....

They respond well to better sources too.... they sound quite magical with Vinyl and a Naim Headline/HiCap

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #429 of 1,146

Have maybe 60 hours on them now and the sound is not changing much after the first 10 hours...
but really the overall presentation can be sorted by swapping cables to a good one... that helps that edge on the vocals and overall balance...

They respond well to better sources too.... they sound quite magical with Vinyl and a Naim Headline/HiCap

thanks for info on the (non) burn-in issue.
What are some resources or URLs for after market cables for L2?  have seen some mentions but nothing definitive.

still enjoying the L2 via iPad, Onkyo HD and iFi iDSD nano..

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #431 of 1,146
  hi, no I didnt play with the cables. I want it to be extremely new for whoever buys it because they are for sale now and cheaper than anyone else on here : ). Literally the only issue with the philips l2 is the balance. In reading about it, how they took a pole on what people like to hear most and tuned the hp based on that , I find that was the wrong way to go.

People know what they think they like but they dont really know what they would really like unless they try other things and gain experience. Those that have experience know what they really like.  Balance usually means realistic and believable. Funny how everyone likes bass but they make it neutral. 

SSOOOOO much potential. Literally the most potential of any hp I have heard anywhere near its price range. 

Sound wise a few come to mind. Sony 7520, German Maestro 8.35d, Focal Spirit Professional.

Grizzly,

Can you elaborate on what you mean by balance?  Do you mean the balance between treble, mid and bass (i.e. that the cans are not neutral) or something else?  If that's the case, what's out of balance, the treble?

Thanks.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #432 of 1,146
Treble n mids. I didn't spend much time so I should not post much more. My memory of them is short as well. I just remember. Wanting more bass slightly more lower mids. Upper mids and treble and them being a little bright on one song was where i felt i heard unbalance. A headphone with its sound is rare though. I loved its detail, speed, clarity, open sound.

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #433 of 1,146

Does the M1BT sound better with the stock cable or Bluetooth? Thanks.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #434 of 1,146
Given the isolation issue is the only thing holding me back, how would you guys rate the L2 for the following situations - 

1. Walking in the street
2. Working in a noisy cafe
3. Working in a library
4. Commuting - train and underground

Users who are viewing this thread

Back