Philips Fidelio L2 [Australia - New Zealand Tour] - Review and Impressions
Apr 16, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #16 of 72
And actaully the more salient comparison is against my DT 1350's....will it usurp its throne? Lol

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #17 of 72
  I've had the Philips Fidelio L2 for the better part of a day now and am really enjoying what I'm hearing!

My initial impressions are:

1. Very neutral sound
  2. amazing imaging
  3. quite airy
  4. seems to work very well with male vocals
  5. soundstage could be wider
  6. smooth treble
  7. great for acoustic music

I really love these! Everything about them appeals to me. The build quality is top notch and very refined. Only gripes are the cable and the ear pads, which are actually not removable (WHY????).

Excellent early impressions mate! I had the same experience when I first had them. They taking them out in a nice area where there's not much noise such as a park. You'll be surprise how well the semi-open effect blends well with low ambient noise level.

Apr 16, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #18 of 72

Excellent early impressions mate! I had the same experience when I first had them. They taking them out in a nice area where there's not much noise such as a park. You'll be surprise how well the semi-open effect blends well with low ambient noise level.

That would be a nice test for them. But I don't think I'd feel safe taking something out that is not mine out side. Just in case it starts raining or anything like that.

I can also confirm that the L2 pairs amazingly with the xDuoo X2, I'm still yet to find anything that doesn't pair with the X2. 

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #19 of 72
I think these cans were born to pair with the Audio-gd NFB-15. My god! The really shine with a little bit of push. Clarity is superb! Micro detail, and nuances everywhere! Bass is nearly perfect, would love a little more but it's not lacking at all. It's tight, fast and accurate. 
Driving it with the NFB-15 and HUM Pervasion also increases the treble response, and makes it very slightly sibilant, mainly for female vocals. Treble has bite and sparkle, and it's fast and accurate. This is probably one of my favourite cans I've auditioned.
There are really only 2 things that I don't like about them, and they are: The female connector on the cup is very close to the flange and if you're to use a different cable, it would have to be a very small diameter jacket. And the other is the soundstage. Even though the imaging is done with surgeon precision, the soundstage is very intimate, making every track you listen in you face and very forward. But it never gets confused or congested.

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #20 of 72
  I think these cans were born to pair with the Audio-gd NFB-15. My god! The really shine with a little bit of push. Clarity is superb! Micro detail, and nuances everywhere! Bass is nearly perfect, would love a little more but it's not lacking at all. It's tight, fast and accurate. 
Driving it with the NFB-15 and HUM Pervasion also increases the treble response, and makes it very slightly sibilant, mainly for female vocals. Treble has bite and sparkle, and it's fast and accurate. This is probably one of my favourite cans I've auditioned.
There are really only 2 things that I don't like about them, and they are: The female connector on the cup is very close to the flange and if you're to use a different cable, it would have to be a very small diameter jacket. And the other is the soundstage. Even though the imaging is done with surgeon precision, the soundstage is very intimate, making every track you listen in you face and very forward. But it never gets confused or congested.

One thing that I've developed when listening through the Fidelio L2 is controlling the urge to increase the volume. I have found the L2 to be more suitable for low volume listening. All the great characteristics you've mentioned are kept without the disadvantages you've experienced. I too have the same impressions at first but as I've adjusted to lower volumes the harshness is gone and the soundstage is more expansive.

Personally, I really think the L2 is more suitable for indoor, quiet room listening. Ironically, I also like the L2 when i'm out in an open area where there's not much noise such as parks and out in the country like Heathcote or Launching Place.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #21 of 72

One thing that I've developed when listening through the Fidelio L2 is controlling the urge to increase the volume. I have found the L2 to be more suitable for low volume listening. All the great characteristics you've mentioned are kept without the disadvantages you've experienced. I too have the same impressions at first but as I've adjusted to lower volumes the harshness is gone and the soundstage is more expansive.

Personally, I really think the L2 is more suitable for indoor, quiet room listening. Ironically, I also like the L2 when i'm out in an open area where there's not much noise such as parks and out in the country like Heathcote or Launching Place.

I have tried listening to it at lower volumes. But every time a song come on that I love, I am just compelled to turn that nob! The "disadvantages" aren't by any means deal breakers for me. Soundstage is passable because the imaging and resolution is so good. The only thing that it would disadvantage is if you watch a movie or playing a game which you want to have full 3D immersion. But for music it's brilliant, and that is what these are for.

This semi-open design is very interesting. I find that the isolation work only one way. It leaks sound out but does not let sound in. Making them absolutely amazing for critical listening. 

I'm giving the L2s a break today to see how my impressions are after I don't listen to them for a whole day. This test usually yields some interesting results. Call it a brain de-burn-in.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #23 of 72
  Been using the L2 today with bass boost!

Subtle bass boost is perfect for the L2. Had the E11k once and the bass boost is just a match made in heaven with the L2.

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #25 of 72
To be honest, I'm gonna be really sad let letting the L2 go. It's such a great headphone! 
frown.gif

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #26 of 72
To be honest, I'm gonna be really sad let letting the L2 go. It's such a great headphone! :frowning2:

Don't be... There's more to come!

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #28 of 72
I now have the L2 and the Thinksound. Thanks DJScope for the delivery.

Excellent! Looking forward to your thoughts on them...
Happy listening!

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #29 of 72
Im actually trawling for these now in the for sale/trade forums to see if I can get these permanently on my noggin. If I can get these for $250 AUD delivered to me Il be happy! 

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #30 of 72
  Im actually trawling for these now in the for sale/trade forums to see if I can get these permanently on my noggin. If I can get these for $250 AUD delivered to me Il be happy! 

If only I had money to spend :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back