Philips Fidelio L2 [Australia - New Zealand Tour] - Review and Impressions
May 17, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #46 of 72
@d marc0
Thank you for sending the to try, but to be honest...I can't wait to take them off and send them along.

for me: not the best soundstage + very far off from my preferred tonal balance.
more specifically I didn't think they were neutral, I thought they were peaked in all 3 areas:
-not enough sub-bass. DnB and hip-hop or even popish things - the hits seems to be mostly bass + mid bass. (curiously, from the FR chart that shouldn't be the case but IDK)
-upper mids tilt ? (not really a big fan for male vocals or overall mids tonality )
-painful etch in the treble (possibly being 9-13(?)k). This one hurts for me. I'm not sure if it's to do with music choice - on some tracks the treble sounds 'ok but extremely resolving', but on others - agonizing

Aside from them being comfortable I don't think I like anything else about the L2. Build quality is nice, although the orange plastic cup holders seem like they could be metal too :p . also as you guys mentioned - non removable ear pads.
Would've liked to try the mic cable too.

A shame but I can imagine your issue. I disagree about the subbass but I do have music where I dislike my L2 with. What gear do you pair the L2 with? The L2 scales quite a bit

May 17, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #47 of 72
A shame but I can imagine your issue. I disagree about the subbass but I do have music where I dislike my L2 with. What gear do you pair the L2 with? The L2 scales quite a bit

note3, clip+ and o2 amp out of MD30.
The sub-bass is just not comparable to something like T-PEOS H300.

I don't think the issue is scaling.

May 17, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #48 of 72
note3, clip+ and o2 amp out of MD30.
The sub-bass is just not comparable to something like T-PEOS H300.

I don't think the issue is scaling.

Oh I should have separated that in another paragraph. The L2 sounds great even straight out of iPhone for me. It does scale quite a bit but I didn't mean to relate it to your issue. My bad. 

May 17, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #49 of 72
@d marc0
Thank you for sending the to try, but to be honest...I can't wait to take them off and send them along.

for me: not the best soundstage + very far off from my preferred tonal balance.
more specifically I didn't think they were neutral, I thought they were peaked in all 3 areas:
-not enough sub-bass. DnB and hip-hop or even popish things - the hits seems to be mostly bass + mid bass. (curiously, from the FR chart that shouldn't be the case but IDK)
-upper mids tilt ? (not really a big fan for male vocals or overall mids tonality )
-painful etch in the treble (possibly being 9-13(?)k). This one hurts for me. I'm not sure if it's to do with music choice - on some tracks the treble sounds 'ok but extremely resolving', but on others - agonizing

Aside from them being comfortable I don't think I like anything else about the L2. Build quality is nice, although the orange plastic cup holders seem like they could be metal too :p . also as you guys mentioned - non removable ear pads.
Would've liked to try the mic cable too.

I totally understand where you're coming from my friend. Sorry to hear you don't like them.

I do agree with all of your comments but I wasn't bothered by those because of how I listen to the L2's. I only listen to them at low volumes, like really low in a very quiet environment. In other cases, outdoors in not so noisy environments they also seem to sound well at average volume. I do have a problem with them when listening at a louder volume. That's when I find the sub-bass to be lacking, the upper mids to be a bit strident, and the soundstage narrows down. These issues especially the hotness are quite apparent with modern recordings, mostly pop. I don't see them to be significantly serious with 80's and early 90's recordings.

Once you learn how to handle the L2 specifically volume wise, they do sound very good. Personally I find them more on the analytical side rather than the musical type.

Thanks for your impressions mate... I kinda already knew how you'd find them.

May 22, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #54 of 72
  The Fidelio / Rain package has landed with me. More to come soon...

Looking forward to your impressions on them...
happy listening!

May 23, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #56 of 72
Jun 5, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #58 of 72
Hi all, apologies that I've been slack reporting in - it's been a busy couple of weeks! The Fidelio's and Rain2s are ready to ship to Luke on Tuesday.

I have limited time still so will be doing a short review on my blog and will post some impressions here shortly too. More to follow...

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #59 of 72
Hi all, apologies that I've been slack reporting in - it's been a busy couple of weeks! The Fidelio's and Rain2s are ready to ship to Luke on Tuesday.

I have limited time still so will be doing a short review on my blog and will post some impressions here shortly too. More to follow...

Awesome shot mate!

Really looking forward to your impressions. I hope you enjoyed your time with the L2 at least.

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #60 of 72
These L2 are honestly one of the sexiest looking headphones I've laid eye on, the design is superb. You wouldn't think something offering such appeal would come from a brand like Philips, I'm entirely impressed and keep gazing at them even down to the included pouch. I haven't however listened to them much which is the main reason they're here. I will get stuck into it over the weekend. But 10/10 for some of the best looking in the flesh headphones I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back