Philips DVD763SA - Finally available in NA!
Jan 15, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 21
Nice find, zoomin!

Unfortunately, when things seem too good to be true, they usually are. I emailed them anyway to see if they have the Philips unit in stock and ready to ship.

Bruce

Jan 15, 2003 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 21
Whoops!

Just tried a number of reverse phone lookups for the phone number listed at their website. No listing was found.

Ugghh!!
Bruce

Jan 15, 2003 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 21
I was just thinking that one of our Head-fi Texan members might give them a call - here's the number they give.

We are Judy Webster and George Ramsower in San Antonio, Texas.
P.O.Box 10108
San Antonio, Texas 78210
210-215-342

Jan 15, 2003 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 21
oh man, oh man. Is that tempting! (I wonder why they stock them in Harrisburgh, PA when they are in Texas?) If you go for it - use your credit card so your burn proofed. But that is TEMPTING!!!!!!

One possibilty I can think of is they got the MODEL NUMBERS WRONG. In which case, you better make sure there is a good return policy. Maybe you want to ask them to reconfirm the model - we are talking money here.

Jan 15, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 21
i called

the guy stated 16 in stock from his distributor in Harrisburg, PA. however, im not sure that was todays number, or that from 2 days ago.

i think he just runs the Internet store, while his distributor handles the stock.

he was not familiar with this unit, and just referenced the webpage on its stats when i asked. he did not know what SACD was.

***ALL SALES ARE FINAL, the site says***

i might jump on it. i was considering the sony 775, but talked myself out of it....i dunno why im going to let myself jump on this.

does the 763 have progressive scan for dvd playback?

thanks

Jan 15, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 21
This guy's self-written policy page is really flaky sounding. If you DO have a problem, I don't think it's going to be easy to fix.

"All sales are final. If it's what you ordered, it's yours. "

Does that mean if he sends you the wrong things you're okay with a return?

"Non-defective product may be returned at Ramsower Enterprise's discretion and will be credited at the current selling price less a 20% restocking fee."

"At Ramsower Enterprises discretion" So it's up to him whether or not you can even return it.

I just hate this flaky sounding policy. And "Ram-sower", call me paranoid, but did I just read about the famous con man who called himself "Bogusees"? They seem to love those kind of names. (Yeah, that was paranoid. Hail Satan!)

Jan 15, 2003 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by zoomin
I think I'll let someone else *guinea pig* this one...

Nobody else in the US or Canada has this item in stock (or ever did) AND the suggested list price is $499.00.

Are you confusing the DVD963SA and the DVD763SA, which is what he is selling? The DVD963SA is the one that has people drooling in anticipation.

Jan 15, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by zoomin
How much security would a CreditCard provide in this situation I wonder?

What situation are you referring to? Well, different credit cards provide different level of protection, you should check with your own credit card company. Typically, you don't have to pay the charged amount if they send you a wrong model or a defective unit and refuse to replace it. Since the sale is final, you cannot return it though.

Edit: Opps, I'm a slow typist.
redface.gif
Just realized that the model advertised isn't what you thought it was. I'll leave my post here anyway.

Btw, in this situation (if you had bought it and then had had realized that it's not the model you wanted), you are not protected by the credit card company.
frown.gif

Jan 16, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 21
HIRSCH

I love you, man
thanks for saving me from making an ass of myself, and buying the wrong thing.
phew!!

Jan 16, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

This looks pretty tempting(I've been looking at this player for a while). I'd still prefer someone else to be the guinea pig though.

A mod should really lock this thread before someone accidentally orders this player. This player has been out for quite a while and is NOT THE DVD963SA that everyone has been waiting for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back