Philips DVD 963A- A review/comparison
Jan 31, 2003 at 3:17 PM Post #61 of 93
Bass problems aside, this certainly is looking very good. A few more reports and I'm tempted, very tempted....
evil_smiley.gif
Hail Phillips!

Jan 31, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #62 of 93
I've been having a little exchange on AVS regarding the US version of the 963sa and how to hack it for PAL-progressive and multi-region playback. Those who care might be interested in this and this.

I have a lot of imported DVDs and don't need my player to be locking on region 2.

Also: The February issue of What Hi-fi? has a few mini-articles on the subject of multi-region hacks. Seems if you were buying the Philips in the UK, the local equivalent of J&R would hack the player *for* you (since region hacks aren't illegal anywhere and non-hardware tweaks won't void the warranty).

Feb 1, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #63 of 93
Thanks for that description, JMedeiros, it's very informative for me. Your previous setup was almost exactly like mine, in that I currently have a Sony Wega (don't know what generation) and Toshiba 2200 dvdp. Ah, I'd really like one... what's the cheapest, reliable place online that has them in-stock?

Feb 1, 2003 at 2:02 PM Post #64 of 93
Well I cannot wait for this player. I missed the J&R shipment, but I scored one on Audiogon yesterday.

If this player lives up to its hype it will replace my Sony NS500V for DVD and my Sony 333ES for SACD and redbook in my HT system. Then I can have DVD in the bedroom and move the 333ES back into my headphone system. I just love buying new stuff
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2003 at 3:06 PM Post #65 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Thanks for that description, JMedeiros, it's very informative for me. Your previous setup was almost exactly like mine, in that I currently have a Sony Wega (don't know what generation) and Toshiba 2200 dvdp. Ah, I'd really like one... what's the cheapest, reliable place online that has them in-stock?

You are very welcome. As far as where to get one..."in stock" and "higher price" seem to be hand in hand at the moment. That's to be expected since it only seems to have arrived a week ago here in the States.

J&R has the lowest price I have found..$399 plus shipping. But folks say they are now backordered...could not hurt to try them...if you can wait a bit for delivery, then that's your lowest price option I have found.

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...e,Product_Name

OneCall has them in stock according to their website. It is 10% off $499 there so $449.10 plus $16.84 shipping totals $465.94

http://www.onecall.com/PID_16414.htm

Music Direct just added it to their site yesterday with a price of $499. Here is the link:

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...u=APHIDVD963SA

Perhaps some other folks have found them online as well and can add to this short list.

Feb 2, 2003 at 9:31 PM Post #68 of 93
A question: Does anyone know if the 963SA's transport does SDPIF(sp?) output? I'm curious as to whether it would be possible to mod a digital IN to the 963SA, and use it as an external DAC.

Feb 3, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #69 of 93
I received my 963A on Friday night, and havent stopped listening to it since during any available time. Tuberoller, a BIG thanks for making us all aware of this. It sounds absolutely incredible, and I'm used to some pretty good equipment. For redbook cd playback, this unit, and its upsampling is better than anything I have heard up to five times its price.
Every cd that I have played on it has allowed me to experience details I hadnt heard before, and clarity, soundstage and depth that simply wasnt there before.
On SACD's its also just superb. Its better than the 555ES. I cant accurately comment on where how it compares to the 777ES since I only auditioned that once, and it was too long ago to make valid comparisons.
There cant be any question that this is the audio steal of the decade. Not to mention that Tuberoller has stated that its outstanding for video quality on dvd's. Mine may never see duty except as a cd and sacd player so thats just ising on the cake. I will make a comparison to my treasured 9000ES as soon as time permits, but that might be a while due to the dificulty of managing it in my setup.
I honestly didnt want the Philips to be THIS good! My Sony XA20ES that was previously the source for my headphone listening system is much better built, has many features that I will miss, and was a joy simply to use. But that all went out the window when I heard the 963. I simply cant listen to anything else now.

JC

Feb 3, 2003 at 11:17 AM Post #70 of 93
I'm wondering how the digital in of the Onkyo TX-SR600 might fare with the 963sa. That particular receiver has 24/192 for the front speakers and 24/96 for the rest. Unless there are unforeseen problems, I'm thinking the SR600 would provide correct digital[ly] upsampled stereo from the 963sa and that, for stereo use, the digital out of the 963 might be preferable to the analog.

[size=xx-small](For edit, see bracks.)[/size]

Feb 3, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #72 of 93
Xerxes,

Are you sure the 963 can output 192 kHz digitally? As far as I know, there is no single-wire standard for it because S/PDIF doesn't have the bandwidth to transfer those signals.

--Andre

Feb 3, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #74 of 93
I have a question. For stereo CD playback on the 963SA, should I connect my ouput at the multichannel post? I see there are 2 sets of L/R output, one for the multichannel and one for the video. Also, do I need to configure anything if I were to play 2 channel stereo music? I notice the sound that I'm getting is not good at all.

Thanks.

Feb 3, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #75 of 93
I haven't received my player yet (should be here on Wed!!!!), but from what I have read you do need to use the multichannel L/R to get better sound. Also, switching off the video circuitry supposedly helps alot too.

Good luck!

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back