Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Jan 24, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #512 of 528
Just bought these sheepskin earpads on aliexpress for 15 CAD, pretty cheap, better than those protein ones since they peel off just like the stock ones. Mine are absolutely destroyed...

Anyone who bought those angled Vention 3.5mm cable, are they still working? are they durable??

I'm still using my Vention cables. They are extremely durable.

I'll have to check those pads out. I love sheepskin pads!

The stock pads are 20mm thick, but the sheepskin pads are 30mm thick (50% increase in pad volume). Any differences in sound between the stock and deeper sheepskin pad?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #513 of 528

The stock pads are 20mm thick, but the sheepskin pads are 30mm thick (50% increase in pad volume). Any differences in sound between the stock and deeper sheepskin pad?

Gonna buy the cable now for sure lol.

I also noted the thickness difference, im hoping i can perhaps make it less thicker by slicing the foam to 20mm if there is a sound difference. Unfortunately this is as cheap as it can get for sheepskin earpads as most ebay sellers are selling them above $26 CAD, some even higher. Ill report back when i receive them to check if there is a noticeable difference, but i doubt it.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #514 of 528
Wooo my earpads finally just arrived!

Ive replaced my earpads and im happy with them. I used this guide here on how to replace them.

These are sheep skin earpads, good quality and feel durable unlike the original pads but it feels a lot more different since im used to the original ones but its good regardless.
Since they are thicker by about 10mm, they look more bulky, and so far ive noticed that it isolates noise much better than the stock ones since its actual leather. People around you wont hear as much "sound leakage" compared to the original ones.

Also when i replaced them, the inner leather is not long enough for it to be glued to the adhesive and be clipped, not a big deal since they are quite secured even without the adhesive and clipping.

Here are few pics ive uploaded to imgur.
https://imgur.com/a/Kj6tof7

Also about the sound, the bass is more stronger and noticeable, thats the first thing i noticed, more present and clearer. Ill go into more detail later on.

Link if you are interested in purchasing these (11.26 USD). Very cheap considering these are good sheepskin leather

Feb 8, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #515 of 528

@Slater you are a Godsend. I thought my A5PROs were a lost cause. I just got the same eBay pads via your link (which is amazingly still available 3 years later) and also just ordered the sheepskin ones @GouryellaIV recommended. The eBay ones have the same issue with the sheepskin ones in that the back is no longer long or stretchy enough to adhere to the glue. Plus the glue itself is so aged it's barely sticky anymore. I wonder if there's some sort of double-sided 3M adhesive sticky enough for this purpose but it doesn't seem that important.

The more important message I wanted to share with any others wondering how these pads feel... the new pads are INSANELY more comfortable, the 48mm inside clears my big ears much better than the original pads creating an even better seal around my ears than before. I think the sheepskin ones are 54mm inside so even more comfort and less fatigue. I'm just curious how much pressure difference 30mm thickness will feel vs. 20mm on my big head without having to stretch out the band.

Either way, I can't rave enough about how happy I am to have saved my A5PRO padding (<-- for more SEO so ppl can find this sooner :)

My only other question is... does anyone know where I can still get the swappable caps with Armin's name on it or an extra pair I can customize?

Thanks, again!

Feb 8, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #516 of 528
@Slater you are a Godsend. I thought my A5PROs were a lost cause. I just got the same eBay pads via your link (which is amazingly still available 3 years later) and also just ordered the sheepskin ones @GouryellaIV recommended. The eBay ones have the same issue with the sheepskin ones in that the back is no longer long or stretchy enough to adhere to the glue. Plus the glue itself is so aged it's barely sticky anymore. I wonder if there's some sort of double-sided 3M adhesive sticky enough for this purpose but it doesn't seem that important.

The more important message I wanted to share with any others wondering how these pads feel... the new pads are INSANELY more comfortable, the 48mm inside clears my big ears much better than the original pads creating an even better seal around my ears than before. I think the sheepskin ones are 54mm inside so even more comfort and less fatigue. I'm just curious how much pressure difference 30mm thickness will feel vs. 20mm on my big head without having to stretch out the band.

Either way, I can't rave enough about how happy I am to have saved my A5PRO padding (<-- for more SEO so ppl can find this sooner :)

My only other question is... does anyone know where I can still get the swappable caps with Armin's name on it or an extra pair I can customize?

Thanks, again!

Whoa, this thread is back from the dead!

I’m so glad you were able to save your A5 Pro with my pad guide.

I myself would LOVE some of those AVB tour caps, but they are long gone by now. I suspect they were extremely limited production to begin with, as I've only ever seen them in photos. It may have been one of those things that you had to ‘know someone in the business’ to get a set.

I’ve thought about making a set of caps out of exotic wood, which I think would look really cool. Like you, I wanted some way to customize the look vs the stock caps. I just haven’t gotten around to it.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #517 of 528
Has anyone took the headphone pads off from the Philips a3 pro ?
Also the outer caps with the L and R logo on them has anyone managed to take them off ?
I ask because i have a small rattle in one headphone its sounds like a small peice of plastic has
broken and i need to dismantle the headphone to get it out.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #520 of 528
I wish I had the A3 I’ve always wanted one, but the availability in the US was never that great.

I have a few A5 Pros and 1 A1 Pro (which is not that great). An A3 Pro would complete the trifecta :)

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #522 of 528
Hey Guys,

I did a thing! Had this project in mind for quite a while. I think since Apple gave up the headphone jack. My idea was to use the mechanism from the outer caps to add a bluetooth module to the cans.

First I researched and tried some bluetooth recievers. It was important to me, that it is capable of AAC for sound quality and Bluetooth 5.0. I chose the Anker Soundsync A3352. I designed a system to house and mount the receiver and battery. As i didn’t want to modify the original headphones I use the left jack as input to it. Of course I removed the original housing of the Anker Soundsync.

IMG_7256.jpeg
Baugruppe_0.2.png

Then i used a additive manufacturing service for producing the parts and bought some screws:
IMG_7623.jpeg

The printed parts needed some mechanical work. I removed the support material and filed the button until it moved freely. I also glued in the little parts of the mounting-interface.
I also removed the smd-headphone jack from the pcb, because i wanted to keep the housing as slim as possible. That part was a mess.
IMG_8818.jpeg

After a bit of soldering and screwing together here’s the final product:
IMG_6145.jpeg
IMG_0905.jpeg
IMG_0360.jpeg

IMG_2718.jpeg

Resources:
Models: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4592875
Receiver: https://www.amazon.de/Anker-Soundsync-Bluetooth-Akkulaufzeit-Lautsprecher/dp/B07H5C2BQX?
Cable: https://www.vention.cn/product/3-5mm-male-90male-audio-cable/
Screws: 4* 1.7X6mm

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #523 of 528
Hey Guys,

I did a thing! Had this project in mind for quite a while. I think since Apple gave up the headphone jack. My idea was to use the mechanism from the outer caps to add a bluetooth module to the cans.

First I researched and tried some bluetooth recievers. It was important to me, that it is capable of AAC for sound quality and Bluetooth 5.0. I chose the Anker Soundsync A3352. I designed a system to house and mount the receiver and battery. As i didn’t want to modify the original headphones I use the left jack as input to it. Of course I removed the original housing of the Anker Soundsync.

IMG_7256.jpegBaugruppe_0.2.png
Then i used a additive manufacturing service for producing the parts and bought some screws:
IMG_7623.jpeg

The printed parts needed some mechanical work. I removed the support material and filed the button until it moved freely. I also glued in the little parts of the mounting-interface.
I also removed the smd-headphone jack from the pcb, because i wanted to keep the housing as slim as possible. That part was a mess.
IMG_8818.jpeg

After a bit of soldering and screwing together here’s the final product:
IMG_6145.jpegIMG_0905.jpegIMG_0360.jpeg
IMG_2718.jpeg

Resources:
Models: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4592875
Receiver: https://www.amazon.de/Anker-Soundsync-Bluetooth-Akkulaufzeit-Lautsprecher/dp/B07H5C2BQX?
Cable: https://www.vention.cn/product/3-5mm-male-90male-audio-cable/
Screws: 4* 1.7X6mm

Nice job! That is awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back