Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Feb 4, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #496 of 528
Again, I can confirm all Slater says 100%. I also prefer a tight fit, which is why I keep the metal decor barrel on. That said, I've had my A5pros for a year now and ben using them with a non-stock cable with a loose fit from day one (I don't need a remote and I prefer straight over coiled, so stock cables stay in the box) and don't remember ever pulling the cable out by accident. I switched to the Vention cable mainly because it was the only one I found with a 90 degrees plug that would fit.

If you prefer an easier/loose fit, you can always pull the metal barrel off. It doesn't expose wiring, contacts or anything, just the black plastic underneath.

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #497 of 528
I switched to the Vention cable mainly because it was the only one I found with a 90 degrees plug that would fit.

Bingo - it's the ONLY cable I've found (short of making my own or ordering a custom cable) that has a 90-90 configuration and that literally fits the A5 Pro like a glove.

It just so happened to turn out that the Vention cable was also robust, low impedance, uses good materials (jacks, conductors, etc), available in different colors and lengths, and is very affordable. That was just icing on the cake.

It was because of those reasons that I 1. Wholeheartedly recommended it to other A5 Pro owners, and 2. why I have found myself using them on a few other cans as well.

Feb 19, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #499 of 528
So one of the complaints often made of the A5 Pro is it needs a tad more bass.

If you want to add a small (and tasteful) bump in the bass of the A5 Pro (about 2-3 dB), remove the nylon filter covering the center vent on the driver magnet.

It only takes a few minutes, and is totally reversible.
  1. Remove the ear pads (rotate like the lid on a jar of food).
  2. Next, rotate the L and R plates and remove them (rotate like the lid on a jar of food).
  3. There are (4) tiny Philips screws under the L and R plates - remove them and the plastic frame that holds the ear pads on will come off. Set the screws aside so you don't lose them. Note that these screws are a little smaller, shorter, and have a FLAT head vs the screws in step #4.
  4. Under that there's (4) more tiny Philips screws - remove them. Set the screws aside so you don't lose them. Note that these screws are a little larger, longer, and have a ROUND/BUTTON head vs the screws in step #3.
  5. Now GENTLY pull the driver cups straight forward (ie the cups that the ear pads attach to). Be careful not to pull the driver wires off - you only have about 2" to work with.
  6. On the center of the driver magnet, you'll see the round nylon filter. Peel it off with your fingernail (I stuck it back onto the edge of the magnet so I didn't lose it in case I ever wanted to add it back in the future).
Now reverse the procedure to put it all back together.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #500 of 528
My HD630VB came about a week ago and I have been testing ang burning in them since.

My first thought they had piercing peaks mostly above 12khz. Then I realized that was becasue they weren't covering my ears fully because of my glasses. Once those pads break in and isolated my ears with the glasses better those peaks got significantly lower. I was also testing V5i opamps in my amp (which they were a little bright). And they are definetly not good pair with bright opamps earpiercing in the highs. When I went back to my stock opamps they got much better. And doesn't scratch my ears anymore.

Sound signature is just a little close to A5PRO. Those frequency response doesn't really show how the headphones are unless you listen to them. They have much more resolution, a little more clear, highs extends more, more detail, really good sounstage (it can even compete with some open-back in that area). And the sub bass where this cans shine.

But they have flaws also. Low mids and vocals seems a little laid back compared to A5PRO. Highs are clear and much more detailed but they have some peaks which might be disturbing to some. I'm using the sub bass one level below the max, by using that it is masking those peaks by overhelming in the sub bass area(besides it seems I really like the sub bass power). A5PRO's highs doesn't have any peaks, warmer and darker compared to them.

If A5PRO had the power of the sub bass that HD630VB had I would have chosen A5PRO over it because vocals and mids are really good and open with them and doesn't have that peaks. But still now I tasted the power of the sub bass with exceptionally good clarity with mids and highs I don't wanna use A5PRO anymore. HD630VB are really fun to listen. When I was listening to A5PRO they tended to put me sleep.

The bass dial are really usefull for listening different genres. If you want to hear more detail simple turn the dial down. If you want more energy turn them up. But still these are definitely "NOT BASSHEAD" headphones. My XB950N1 even without the bass effect on shakes your spine. They had much more mid and high bass. What HD630VB has more in the sub bass area. They don't shake your head. They have the power of the sub bass while not getting in the mids and have perfect resolution and highs.

Only thing I don't like with HD630VB those little high peaks. I believe they will get better with more breaking in with the pads more isolation. Having to wear glasses effects much with these cans. Sounds leaks through there and making peaks worse. But more I use less peaks I get means pads are starting to match my heads. I have never changed any pad with any headphone so far but this might take more benefit with better pads.

When I got A5PRO first it had too much distortion. And after a lot of time usega that did dissapeared. I didn't see this much change by breaking in with other headphones and I thought burning in was much of a snake oil. But once I saw A5PRO change I said burning in real at least for them. Time will tell how the HD630VB go.

Note that I'm using a SMSL VA1 amp and it has low and high gain(impedance) output. I have heard that if you connect a low impedance headphone to a high impedance output you would get lower bass. I haven't noticed that with any other headphones I had but it seems there is significantly difference in the sub bass area with the HD630VB. If someone connect these to a high impedance output they would even think the bass dial doesn't work. They don't have that issue with the low impedance output though.

These became my favourite headphones right now and I'm perfectly happy with the purchase. They get more and more enjoyable with listening to them.

Just wish they had detachable cable though. Sennheiser showed they can be changed with a little surgical operation but those cables aren't in stock even if I willing to do that. That is the biggest draw back with this solid build headphone. (A5PRO's more solid though you can use them as a weapon)

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #501 of 528
My HD630VB came about a week ago and I have been testing ang burning in them since.

My first thought they had piercing peaks mostly above 12khz. Then I realized that was becasue they weren't covering my ears fully because of my glasses. Once those pads break in and isolated my ears with the glasses better those peaks got significantly lower. I was also testing V5i opamps in my amp (which they were a little bright). And they are definetly not good pair with bright opamps earpiercing in the highs. When I went back to my stock opamps they got much better. And doesn't scratch my ears anymore.

Sound signature is just a little close to A5PRO. Those frequency response doesn't really show how the headphones are unless you listen to them. They have much more resulotion, a little more clear, highs extens more, more detail, really good sounstage (it can even compete with some open-back in that area). And the sub bass where this cans shine.

But they have flaws also. Low mids and vocals seems a little laid back compared to A5PRO. Highs are clear and much more detailed but they have some peaks which might be disturbing to some. I'm using the sub bass one level below the max, by using that it is masking those peaks by overhelming in the sub bass area(besides it seems I really like the sub bass power). A5PRO's highs doesn't have any peaks, warmer and darker compared to them.

If A5PRO had the power of the sub bass that HD630VB had I would have chosen A5PRO over it because vocals and mids are really good and open with them and doesn't have that peaks. But still now I tasted the power of the sub bass with exceptionally good clarity with mids and highs I don't wanna use A5PRO anymore. HD630VB are really fun to listen. When I was listening to A5PRO they tended to put me sleep.

The bass dial are really usefull for listening different genres. If you want to hear more detail simple turn the dial down. If you want more energy turn them up. But still these are definitely "NOT BASSHEAD" headphones. My XB950N1 even without the bass effect on shakes your spine. They had much more mid and high bass. What HD630VB has more in the sub bass area. They don't shake your head. They have the power of the sub bass while not getting in the mids and have perfect resulotion and highs.

Only thing I don't like with HD630VB those little high peaks. I believe they will get better with more breaking in with the pads more isolation. Having to wear glasses effects much with these cans. Sounds leaks through there and making peaks worse. But more I use less peaks I get means pads are starting to match my heads. I have never changed any pad with any headphone so far but this might take more benefit with better pads.

When I got A5PRO first it had too much distortion. And after a lot of time usega that did dissapeared. I didn't see this much change by breaking in with other headphones and I thought burning in was much of a snake oil. But once I saw A5PRO change I said burning in real at least for them. Time will tell how the HD630VB go.

Note that I'm using a SMSL VA1 amp and it has low and high gain(impedance) output. I have heard that if you connect a low impedance headphone to a high impedance output you would get lower bass. I haven't noticed that with any other headphones I had but it seems there is significantly difference in the sub bass area with the HD630VB. If someone connect these to a high impedance output they would even think the bass dial doesn't work. They don't have that issue with the low impedance output though.

These became my favourite headphones right now and I'm perfectly happy with the purchase. They get more and more enjoyable with listening to them.

Just wish they had detachable cable though. Sennheiser showed they can be changed with a little surgical operation but those cables aren't in stock even if I willing to do that. That is the biggest draw back with this solid build headphone. (A5PRO's more solid though you can use them as a weapon)

Thanks, I've been waiting for a comparison between the A5 Pro and HD630VB!

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #503 of 528
I'm really happy with the sound quality (except for the bass quantit, but nothing to complain about bass quality). I've found a brand new phc120 cable and I'm really happy with it. I've combined A5pro with Fiio Q5 and there were tracks where you discover so many new things and details that it's like listening to them for the first time. The only huge drawback is the comfort, that is absolutely terrible!

Mar 6, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #505 of 528
Apr 29, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #506 of 528
I think i messed up my headphone's left input socket for the audio cable, i accidentally pulled my headphones cable hard and now the sound for the left channel goes out and sometimes it comesback, i now have to use the right input socket for the headphone cable.
Does anyone know what i could do to fix the left input socket of the headphone? perhaps open it up and replace it?

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #507 of 528
I think i messed up my headphone's left input socket for the audio cable, i accidentally pulled my headphones cable hard and now the sound for the left channel goes out and sometimes it comesback, i now have to use the right input socket for the headphone cable.
Does anyone know what i could do to fix the left input socket of the headphone? perhaps open it up and replace it?
sounds like you pulled loose a wire...could be a simple re-solder.

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #508 of 528

Why not juet use the right side socket from now on?

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #509 of 528
Either a broken contact inside the socket, or a loose wire/broken solder joint. If it's the latter, repair should be fairly easy. I think you can access the socket from the back of the cup. Not 100% sure, I don't have my A5 with me right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back