Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Jan 31, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #481 of 528
Look into the Massdrop Fostex THX00 and EMU Teak series. Their what I would call audiophile basshead headphones. The bass is present with good impact but you gain so much more across the spectrum. I have the A5Pro and I like them but they are uncomfortable. I have the XB950 in the Bluetooth version and though they have bass galore, they have serious bass bleed issues. I have extensively modded my pair and they are acceptable but still bleed. At least now, I can listen to more than hip hop, rap and EDM with them.

The Fostex and EMU variants are more for at home listening, do not have active noise cancellation, probably don't cancel passively as well but are an improvement in resolution, soundstage, and signature.

I have the THX00 Mahogany and Purplehearts and like them for different reasons. I don't think I can part with either, yet, lol.
I have looked into the THX00 and those purplehearts seems really nice. I don't know if Massdrop sends them to my country but it seems amazon doesn't. When I'm gonna buy a new pair hp I will try to contact them. I just wished that they had detachable cable

Take a look at the Sennheiser HD630VB. There’s a dedicated thread on it, and owners rave about it.

It’s closed back, and the sound signature is similar to the A5 Pro, and it has stronger sub bass than A5 Pro. The sub bass can be adjusted on the fly by a large wheel on one of the wheel cups. I forget exactly how much, but +/- 10dB (or maybe 20dB) sticks out in my mind.

It’s also built very solidly (aluminum construction).

Thank you for suggestion. They seem really good. Actually my sony xb950n1 has that kind of adjustable bass through sony headphone app. I have to turn that bass effect on for that. But I don't use that because even without that bass effect on it has more bass than I want. Still it is usable if happened to want to listen some bass music. Yet I listen to rock %80 of the time. That variable bass is a really good option. If they had detachable cord it would be perfect

Closed, serious sub-bass, detailed, not bright - you might want to try ISK MDH9000. I have one of their re-brands (Marantz MPH-2) and while I haven't compared them to A5pro (that I also have) yet, but I am amazed by the amount of bass these have while still remaining coherent and detailed. I can compare later tonight. Comfort is much better than A5pro (also heavy and with similar clamping force, but earpads are significantly bigger and deeper). They are bulky, but if you're looking for something for home use that shouldn't be a problem. Oh, and they are way cheaper than your budget.

Thank you for the suggestion. Cheaper headphones tend to deal with the fast sounding bad. I mean a5pro deals with that fast changes in sound really good. Music doesn't get confused and really clear seperated with them. I look forward to your comparation

Thank you all for your advices I really appreciate that. Right now I'm not gonna rush and make a quick decision. I will take my time and look reviews and owners impressions slowly. Those THX00 seems really nice but I can get the HD630VB more easy on amazon (because of the custom clearance they deal for me)

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #482 of 528
Bought these second hand, easy to drive and very nice sound.
The earpads are starting to wear down, any tips on maintenance and replacements? Don't appear to be sold anymore.

Snfxt9l.jpg

Here you go - I posted a detailed earpad replacement How2 guide:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/phi...-and-impressions.725777/page-29#post-13496826

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #483 of 528
Bought these second hand, easy to drive and very nice sound.
The earpads are starting to wear down, any tips on maintenance and replacements? Don't appear to be sold anymore.

You can also try to strip the faux leather layer from the entire earpad to expose the fabric underneath. From your pic it seems that it should come off clean. I did that with earpads in similar shape once or twice, different headphones though, so I don't know how it will affect A5pro. It will probably affect isolation (but it's not that great in A5pro to begin with) and tonal balance a bit, but the end result might still be good. It should look better than it does now and might improve comfort - fabric pads are usually more comfortable than pleather. If you decide to do that, let us know the results.

Thank you for the suggestion. Cheaper headphones tend to deal with the fast sounding bad. I mean a5pro deals with that fast changes in sound really good. Music doesn't get confused and really clear seperated with them. I look forward to your comparation

I added my impressions after a very quick A/B in my earlier post as an edit. The track I listened to was "Geek U.S.A" by The Smashing Pumpkins, which is fairly but not extremely fast, and that track sounded fine with Marantz MPH-2 (with the differences I mentioned). The source was Fiio X5II. If you have a test track(s) that you use to check headphones for handling "the fast", let me know what it is and I can test with that track(s).

The headphones I quite like for fast&coherent+bass+comfort are Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 and COP. COP has adjustable bass (4 steps, ajustable bass port) and a detachable cable. But they also have a bit recessed mids and boosted treble (COP less than others, but it also has a bit less clarity). DT250 is neutral sounding with nice bass (not basshead amounts, but more than A5pro) and awesome for rock, but it is somewhere between on ear and over ear (still comfortable though, for me actually more so than A5pro).

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #484 of 528
You can also try to strip the faux leather layer from the entire earpad to expose the fabric underneath. From your pic it seems that it should come off clean. I did that with earpads in similar shape once or twice, different headphones though, so I don't know how it will affect A5pro. It will probably affect isolation (but it's not that great in A5pro to begin with) and tonal balance a bit, but the end result might still be good. It should look better than it does now and might improve comfort - fabric pads are usually more comfortable than pleather. If you decide to do that, let us know the results.

I added my impressions after a very quick A/B in my earlier post as an edit. The track I listened to was "Geek U.S.A" by The Smashing Pumpkins, which is fairly but not extremely fast, and that track sounded fine with Marantz MPH-2 (with the differences I mentioned). The source was Fiio X5II. If you have a test track(s) that you use to check headphones for handling "the fast", let me know what it is and I can test with that track(s).

The headphones I quite like for fast&coherent+bass+comfort are Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 and COP. COP has adjustable bass (4 steps, ajustable bass port) and a detachable cable. But they also have a bit recessed mids and boosted treble (COP less than others, but it also has a bit less clarity). DT250 is neutral sounding with nice bass (not basshead amounts, but more than A5pro) and awesome for rock, but it is somewhere between on ear and over ear (still comfortable though, for me actually more so than A5pro).

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions. I'm using smsl sanskrit 6th dac and a smsl va1/dt amp (which I changed the opamps with 2x muses01 and 2x v5i ).I usually use "Falling Apart" by the Zebrahead I have amazon unlimited for music and tried the song you mentioned "Geek U.S.A" and thats really a good sample for what I mean. Actually including bass guitar sound it is even a better sample. While A5PRO doesn't really give me the bass guitar sound XB950N1 is extremely good. But those quick drums and fast changing rhythm XB950N1 makes everything like soup while A5PRO I can hear every element in sound clearly and seperately.

Custom One Pro says discontinued by manufacturer. And while I was looking around I saw HD630VB price dropped to 279$ from 411$. So I jumped in and ordered them. I said my budget was around 300-400$ but I was also excluding taxes in my country. 400$ headphone has 180$ shipping+taxes. So my real budget was close to 600$ in reality. Now I got them 279+133=412 with taxes and shipping on amazon. Right now they are selling them 650$ in my country (which is Turkey by the way). So it is a good deal for me. I hope they will meet my expectations.
Thank you again for your help your opinions were really helpfull to me

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #485 of 528
And while I was looking around I saw HD630VB price dropped to 279$ from 411$. So I jumped in and ordered them. I said my budget was around 300-400$ but I was also excluding taxes in my country. 400$ headphone has 180$ shipping+taxes. So my real budget was close to 600$ in reality. Now I got them 279+133=412 with taxes and shipping on amazon. Right now they are selling them 650$ in my country (which is Turkey by the way). So it is a good deal for me. I hope they will meet my expectations.
Thank you again for your help your opinions were really helpfull to me

Be sure to let us know how you like the hd630vb when it comes!

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #486 of 528
Both Custom One Pro and Custom Studio (an improved version) are on gittigidiyor (which I understand is something luke a Turkish ebay?), but since you've already bought HD630VB it's irrelevant. COP and CS would cost you a similar amount from gittigidiyor and I haven't heard the HD630VB but it is probably better, and definitely worth more than COP.

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #487 of 528
Be sure to let us know how you like the hd630vb when it comes!

I will sure do!

Both Custom One Pro and Custom Studio (an improved version) are on gittigidiyor (which I understand is something luke a Turkish ebay?), but since you've already bought HD630VB it's irrelevant. COP and CS would cost you a similar amount from gittigidiyor and I haven't heard the HD630VB but it is probably better, and definitely worth more than COP.
I have never shopped from gittigidiyor (yes it is a Turkish ebay) but they sell Custom one pro worth 352$ and CS 310$ (Right now 1$=3.73TL). Actually I noticed now COP has different versions. And they still sell some versions I didnt see before. It is a shame I didn't notice that earlier. If I noticed that earlier I would have looked at them throughly. Because it seems they sell a version 152$+78$=230$ on amazon. If this is the right one I'm looking at;
https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic...4&sr=1-1&keywords=beyerdynamic+custom+one+pro

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #488 of 528
Yes, COP Plus and Custom Game are the same as COP with some gadgets added. CS is improved compared to COP, COP plus and Custom Game - better driver (probably the same as in DT770 80 Ohm) and better earpads. But don't worry, $300+ is a lot for these headphones, so buying them from gittigidiyor would not make sense. Amazon has better prices, but HD630VB is probably a better headphone anyway. It sure looks good.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #489 of 528
Just wanted to let A5 owners know that I found a nice cable that's an alternative to the stock cable and also to the Beats cable previously posted here. There's a number of benefits to this cable over the Beats cable.

On this one, it can be ordered with in a straight-straight, straight-90, or 90-90 configuration (all in a variety of lengths). The shoulder is a very tight fit into the A5 - at 1st it seems like it won't fit, but it just barely fits (within a few thousands of an inch clearance). It fits with a very tight friction-fit, so there's zero chance of it falling out, and it doesn't rotate (it stays in the exact direction you inserted it in due to the tight friction-fit).

The other nice thing is that, unlike the Beats cable, you can use the 90 degree end in the headphone cups, so it functions exactly like the stock locking cable (except it doesn't actually lock like the stock cable). You can also run it with the straight end in the cup too (like the Beats cable). I prefer using the 90 degree end in the cup (like stock), and never really liked how the Beats cable could only have the straight end in the cups - it stuck out at a weird angle with the Beats cable, and put undue pressure on the strain relief.

The cable is very well made, inexpensive, and uses 26awg copper conductors (unknown if OFC or not). The impedance of the Vention measured significantly lower than on the Beats cable of the same 100cm length (1.0 ohm on the Beats cable, 0.3ohm on Vention).

The Vention cable has TPE insulation, so it's not as soft and supple as a silicone insulated cable. But it doesn't tangle and doesn't have 'kink memory'. TPE is also tougher as far as abrasions go.

Vention makes a number of different style of AUX cable, but the 90 degree end is different on most of them. This is the only Vention AUX model that I can verify fits when using the 90 degree end in the ear cup. And since you can order this cable with a 90-90 configuration, it's nice because the you can do a 90 degree end in the ear cup AND still do 90 into your music source.

Here's the link to where I got mine from: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-5...e-Stereo-Audio-Cable-1m-1-5m/32266758254.html

I have this cable too (a 90-90 configuration) and can confirm that it does fit into the A5Pro. Like Slater said, it is a tight fit, but you can remove the metal barrel from the plug housing with pliers and then it's an easy fit. I did put the metal barrel back on (after checking that it comes off with some force) because i prefer a secure connection. The cable quality is good, it's not very flexible but seems sturdy.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #492 of 528
Sure. One plug inserted into A5pro, the other right below it. Both plugs are identical in my case, I have the 90/90 version of the cable.

ee67008e9ff41621315dab17296136ed_big.jpg

Yup, the Vention cable is the bomb. Mine is still going strong since from when I originally posted the info. A well made cable, especially given the low impedance and price. It's really a no-brainer :)

I also forgot to mention in my original post, the cable comes in multiple lengths (50cm, 100cm, 150cm). So those looking for a longer cable for studio, DJ, or home audio use are in luck.

The price are better at this store: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ven...io-90-Degree-Right-Angle-AUX/32758327548.html

Finally, the cable is available with a braided fabric cover too, so if you need extra protection from rough use and abrasion etc (and the expense of a bit of bulk), that is an option as well.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #494 of 528
It's very tight (you need to apply some force to push it in) unless you take off the metal barrel from the plug handle and expose the plastic underneath. Then it is about 0.5 mm thinner and you can plug it in, take it out and twist it easily. The metal barrel is pushed on and attached with some glue, but I could take it off quite easily with pliers.
Other Vention cables have metal barrels screwed on, so you can remove them too (in case you need an even thinner plug, like for some Sony headphones).

Feb 4, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #495 of 528
Don't let the snugness of the fit discourage anyone from trying the Vention cable. That's the POSITIVE thing about the Vention cable, and the reason why you'd WANT it!

The stock cable is a locking cable. The Vention cable isn't too large for the stock headphone jack or anything like that - it's what I'd call a "friction fit". The net effect of this is that once plugged in, it is as solid as the stock locking cable with no chance of falling out or coming unplugged by accident. I'd much prefer a snug fitting cable (that's as rock solid once plugged in as the stock locking cable) then a loosey-goosey fitting cable (such as the Beats cable).

The Vention cable is in no way too difficult to fit, there is no danger of damaging the jack, no danger of damaging the cable, no danger of removing the cable, doesn't require being overly aggressive while installing, etc. Both the cable and the A5 Pro are very robust, so no worries with either. I wouldn't have recommended the Vention cable if I felt it was impossible/too difficult, or posed some risk of damage to either the cable or the A5 Pro itself.

Now, it IS a snug fit. A 4 year old child won't have enough strength to fully seat it. Any adult will be able to fully seat the cable just fine (as well as remove the cable).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back