Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Dec 19, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #466 of 528
I got the larger and the original replacements pads and they fit just perfectly. Just a twist counter clockwise and the pads just came off. The seller is a Philips parts distributor in UK and knows how valuable these pads are.

Dec 27, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #467 of 528
Anyone selling the PCU90 or 80 pads? I use mine for DJ'ing and love them but too bad Philips discontinued them. Willing to buy a whole new pair if anyone on here is selling. No luck finding any on sale in my area (Melbourne, AU)

Dec 27, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #468 of 528
Dec 27, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #469 of 528
Dec 28, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #470 of 528
Still recommend the same pads as that guide. No better options found.

Isolation is the same, as is the sound. They are identical dimensions, and the construction is as good if not slightly better than the stock pads. I have used them on multiple headphones, and none of them have worn out.

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #475 of 528
Hi everyone

I have been using a5pro more than a year and it is my favourite headphone. I bought a hd598 sr and a sony xb950n1 later.

I bought the hd598sr because I wanted to try what a open headphone sounds like. Altough they have relaxed sound, they are nowhere close to a5pro's clear, crisp and detailed and fast sound. Besides it seems I dont like open back sound

I bought the xb950n1 for noise cancelling. I have a mobile air conditioner and it work like truck. So I needed something for summer for watching movies and general use but not for music. They have muffeled sound and no detail in high mid and treble like the other two. But the bass is another level. xb950n1 has a subwoofer like bass.

Now that I tasted that sub bass that xb950n1 has a5pro really has none compared to it.

So my question: Is there any closed back headphone 300-400$ range that has good sub bass (it doesnt have to be like xb950n1, prefer lower than it) and as clear, detailed, fast and warm(I don't like too bright sound) as a5pro? . I'm perfecly happy with my a5pro except that sub bass. And software eq doesn't help it.

I mainly listen to rock and I like the bass guitar sound, besides I like detail and clearness. I'm asking for a suggestion in this thread becasuse I think people who knows a5pro sound might help me.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #476 of 528
Hi everyone

I have been using a5pro more than a year and it is my favourite headphone. I bought a hd598 sr and a sony xb950n1 later.

I bought the hd598sr because I wanted to try what a open headphone sounds like. Altough they have relaxed sound, they are nowhere close to a5pro's clear, crisp and detailed and fast sound. Besides it seems I dont like open back sound

I bought the xb950n1 for noise cancelling. I have a mobile air conditioner and it work like truck. So I needed something for summer for watching movies and general use but not for music. They have muffeled sound and no detail in high mid and treble like the other two. But the bass is another level. xb950n1 has a subwoofer like bass.

Now that I tasted that sub bass that xb950n1 has a5pro really has none compared to it.

So my question: Is there any closed back headphone 300-400$ range that has good sub bass (it doesnt have to be like xb950n1, prefer lower than it) and as clear, detailed, fast and warm(I don't like too bright sound) as a5pro? . I'm perfecly happy with my a5pro except that sub bass. And software eq doesn't help it.

I mainly listen to rock and I like the bass guitar sound, besides I like detail and clearness. I'm asking for a suggestion in this thread becasuse I think people who knows a5pro sound might help me.

Look into the Massdrop Fostex THX00 and EMU Teak series. Their what I would call audiophile basshead headphones. The bass is present with good impact but you gain so much more across the spectrum. I have the A5Pro and I like them but they are uncomfortable. I have the XB950 in the Bluetooth version and though they have bass galore, they have serious bass bleed issues. I have extensively modded my pair and they are acceptable but still bleed. At least now, I can listen to more than hip hop, rap and EDM with them.

The Fostex and EMU variants are more for at home listening, do not have active noise cancellation, probably don't cancel passively as well but are an improvement in resolution, soundstage, and signature.

I have the THX00 Mahogany and Purplehearts and like them for different reasons. I don't think I can part with either, yet, lol.

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #477 of 528
Look into the Massdrop Fostex THX00 and EMU Teak series. Their what I would call audiophile basshead headphones. The bass is present with good impact but you gain so much more across the spectrum. I have the A5Pro and I like them but they are uncomfortable. I have the XB950 in the Bluetooth version and though they have bass galore, they have serious bass bleed issues. I have extensively modded my pair and they are acceptable but still bleed. At least now, I can listen to more than hip hop, rap and EDM with them.

The Fostex and EMU variants are more for at home listening, do not have active noise cancellation, probably don't cancel passively as well but are an improvement in resolution, soundstage, and signature.

I have the THX00 Mahogany and Purplehearts and like them for different reasons. I don't think I can part with either, yet, lol.
Thank you for the advice I will look into them. I will only listen to them at home with my deskop amp and dac. So I only need good sound other things doesnt matter. I just hope I can get them on amazon because custom clearence is painfull for me in my country. Amazon deals all that for me so I dont deal with those bothersome procedure

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #478 of 528
Hi everyone

Take a look at the Sennheiser HD630VB. There’s a dedicated thread on it, and owners rave about it.

It’s closed back, and the sound signature is similar to the A5 Pro, and it has stronger sub bass than A5 Pro. The sub bass can be adjusted on the fly by a large wheel on one of the wheel cups. I forget exactly how much, but +/- 10dB (or maybe 20dB) sticks out in my mind.

It’s also built very solidly (aluminum construction).

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #479 of 528
Closed, serious sub-bass, detailed, not bright - you might want to try ISK MDH9000. I have one of their re-brands (Marantz MPH-2) and I haven't compared them to A5pro (that I also have) yet, but I am amazed by the amount of bass these have while still remaining coherent and detailed. I can compare later tonight. Comfort is much better than A5pro (also heavy and with similar clamping force, but earpads are significantly bigger and deeper). They are bulky, but if you're looking for something for home use that shouldn't be a problem. Oh, and they are way cheaper than your budget.

Edit: ISK MDH9000/Marantz MPH-2 have significantly more sub-bass and a bit sharper treble, but a bit recessed and a bit less clear mids compared to A5pro. Treble difference is slight and nothing to worry about, but for me the bass/mids balance is better in A5pro. But I prefer that sound signature, and don't mind less sub-bass. On its own (without direct comparison), MDH9000/Marantz MPH-2 sound good to me and the mids are not recessed enough to bother me, the same way Beyerdynamic DT770 sound fine to me despite recessed mids.

Also note that while I've had A5pro for about a year and they got their share of use, I got the Marantz MPH-2 recently and they've played for maybe 20 minutes total. So, no burn in yet, pads are still brand new, so the sound will change a bit. Even if burn in is not a factor, the pads will flatten a bit with use and that which might reduce bass and improve mids a bit as the drivers will be closer to the ears.

In any case, yes I would call them a basshead sidestep from A5pro.
Definitely more comfortable!

And I've thought about another possibility: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. They are within your budget, more comfortable than A5pro (and pads can be switched to EDT770V velours to improve comfort some more), they sound good and the amount of bass can be adjusted in 4 steps from a bit less than A5pro to much more - they have adjustable bass ports.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #480 of 528
Bought these second hand, easy to drive and very nice sound.
The earpads are starting to wear down, any tips on maintenance and replacements? Don't appear to be sold anymore.

Snfxt9l.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back