Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Dec 12, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #391 of 528
Brutal! I recall someone mentioning Gibson as taking over the Philips audio line, maybe they have something? I've been meaning to call but haven't made the time.

So unfortunate. I really like the ear pad locking mechanism, just would like to try some larger pads.

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #392 of 528
No more pads? What a D@mn shame..

The A5PRO has the best pad attach/removal system ever made!!

Good thing the stock pads are excellent. but some day I'm going to have to figure out how to attach new ones.

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #393 of 528
Is anybody aware of any headphone that shares a similar locking mechanism or even somewhat compatible attachment?

Also, anyone have an MSR7 that they can compare these to? Better, worse, different?

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #394 of 528
I'll be getting a 3D printer in the near future and one of the things I plan on making is an adapter for proper sized over ear pads, like Shure 1540 and others similar in size. So I'll at least keep the A5-PRO long enough to check it out with properly fitting pads...as of now with ill fitting pads its just not a headphone I want to listen to at all. And I really don't love its sound - its fine in clarity and responsiveness, but too clinical and neutral in sound... I'm spoiled by the Fostex TH-X00 PH's, everything must compare to it as it has the sound I love and want out of a headphone. Playing around with different configurations of the AIAIAI TMA-2, I have found some combinations I love the sound of so far, especially after they have had some run time on the different drivers. So fairly certain that I will keep the TMA-2 and sell the A5-PRO some time down the line.

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #395 of 528
  Here is the response from the Armada Music Shop regarding the stock status of the large PCU110 pads:

No they won't be coming anymore.. We can't order them, because the manufacturer is all out :frowning2: Sorry! 

Kindest regards,

Armadamusicshop

sonofa...

I'll be getting a 3D printer in the near future and one of the things I plan on making is an adapter for proper sized over ear pads, like Shure 1540 and others similar in size. So I'll at least keep the A5-PRO long enough to check it out with properly fitting pads

oh man please remember us and make extra to sell!

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #396 of 528
I'll be getting a 3D printer in the near future and one of the things I plan on making is an adapter for proper sized over ear pads, like Shure 1540 and others similar in size. So I'll at least keep the A5-PRO long enough to check it out with properly fitting pads...as of now with ill fitting pads its just not a headphone I want to listen to at all. And I really don't love its sound - its fine in clarity and responsiveness, but too clinical and neutral in sound... I'm spoiled by the Fostex TH-X00 PH's, everything must compare to it as it has the sound I love and want out of a headphone. Playing around with different configurations of the AIAIAI TMA-2, I have found some combinations I love the sound of so far, especially after they have had some run time on the different drivers. So fairly certain that I will keep the TMA-2 and sell the A5-PRO some time down the line.

Would be totally cool if you were able to design an adapter, maybe something compatible with the Brainwavz pads, never tried the Shure 1540 but they look interesting. If this turns out viable, please keep the thread updated.

I have the THX00 as well and like the sound of the A5Pro for a portable headphone. I find their bass response similar to the PH, surprisingly. What about the AIAIAI TMA-2 are you targeting? I'm not so familiar with that headphone but from the amazon reviews, it appears to be somewhat modular. I am enjoying the A5Pro and like it's compact form factor. I haven't driven it from a phone or directly from my laptop but I have a Cayin C5 just in case. Using the m9XX, the bass like I said is similar to the THX00 PH, though it might have to do more with one being closed vs semi open. For a balanced sound, these are punchy and clean.

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #397 of 528
To me, the SHP9500 with Shure 1840 pads are much closer to the TH-X00 PH than the A5-PRO's are, A5-PRO's have a weird sound for a closed can, very detailed...but too sterile and distant sounding. The modded SHP9500 and very much the TH-X00 have an exciting presentation of the music where the A5-PRO's fall a little flat with less impressive bass than even the SHP9500 (the Shure 1840 pads really help the bass out and put some nice energy into all frequencies, the Shure 1540 pads were almost opposite with sucking bass out and darkening things some). At least that is how things sound to me directly out of an Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp from a laptop.

For the AIAIAI TMA-2, I have the #1, 2, and 4 drivers along with "over the ear" pads #4, 5, and 6 to mix and match. Really liking #2 drivers with #6 earpads, #1 drivers with #5 earpads, and #4 drivers with #5 earpads.

#1 driver focuses on mids-highs with the least pronounced bass. #2 driver is bass ported with nice bass but an overall even frequency and slightly warmish presentation. Driver #4 is a V shaped sound, heavy on bass and highs with the tightest bass and most intense highs.

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #398 of 528
I almost purchased the SHP9500 to see what the hype is about but some reviewers say the X1 is the upgrade so I've refrained. Have you heard the X1? Any comparisons?

I'm a little taken back that the A5Pro bass is less impressive than the SHP9500 modded considering you're comparing a closed back headphone to an open one and it's better in your opinion. I actually prefer the A5Pro bass over the M50x but I do hear some strange response in the frequency, particularly for electric guitars BUT it's not always present and seldom occurs. I need to listen more to pinpoint an example.

Overall, I so think the A5Pro sound good. I intend to keep them as a high resolving and compact portable headphone to the m50x. I like taking the DT770-80 ohm on travel but it's huge!

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #399 of 528
I almost purchased the SHP9500 to see what the hype is about but some reviewers say the X1 is the upgrade so I've refrained. Have you heard the X1? Any comparisons?

I'm a little taken back that the A5Pro bass is less impressive than the SHP9500 modded considering you're comparing a closed back headphone to an open one and it's better in your opinion. I actually prefer the A5Pro bass over the M50x but I do hear some strange response in the frequency, particularly for electric guitars BUT it's not always present and seldom occurs. I need to listen more to pinpoint an example.

Overall, I so think the A5Pro sound good. I intend to keep them as a high resolving and compact portable headphone to the m50x. I like taking the DT770-80 ohm on travel but it's huge!

770.80 isn't that big a deal to take out with a little preparation IMO. SUre it needs an amp, but no biggie really.

As for the 9500s, no way in hell i would take that over an a5pro or x1/x2.

The hype was hype on the 9500s. They are GREAT for the low a $$price they were at when hyped. That is $50 US.

Most important factor here vs a5, i dont think the previous poster powered the a5 properly from the sounds of it. The 9500 with dragonfly red thats plenty of power and decent help from dragonfly but i have my doubts on whether this a5 was getting enough juice. isn't the dragonfly red like less than 100mw at 32ohm. I would think that a5 needs a good 2000mw continuous with proper EQ'ing to really see whats its made of.

I would get 9500 + hm5 max. Nothing more than that. Its good as a spare can. Its easily beat by other mid-fis. I have one, i modded the shyte out of it. I wish i didn't tbh and picked up a jvc sz2k or this a5 pro, or some other better can. But for 50 bones, its great. paired with xb1k pads, even better (but relatively speaking , and for those in the same price range). I find even s500 by JVC more fun for music than 9500. 660.32 which was selling for 79$ easily bests it.

Nowadays the market flooded with good sound, so hype should be taken with grain of salt. Hey, we all fall for it. I got 9500s cause of Z. Boob cups, Xb1k pads, 990v,440v, pads. Its OK. But, yeah i think the community has moved on. Better FOTM have been popping up .

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #400 of 528
@SHAMuuu, good stuff! Your impression is by far in line with the majority of impressions I've heard about the SHP9500 though I'm not knocking it as a good headphone but I can't imagine the A5Pro being bested by it in bass texture and impact. The A5Pro isn't perfect but amped by the m9XX, I'm seriously liking what I'm hearing for a closed can. I like the X1, they are special but you give up impact and other things for soundstage going closed to open. I suspect under amping as well.

I actually just got the SZ1K, haven't had a listen yet. I have HM5 Thick, 55x and angled Brainwavz earpads in queue along with a Cayin C5 but that will be an entirely different beast. Agreed the DT770 are not "that bad" to carry around but these A5Pro fold up real slick and they have their attributes over the 770-80. I do enjoy that DT770-80 soundstage and I think that's the most noticeable difference (yes there are others).

I haven't done an AB between the A5Pro and DT770-80 yet but that soundstage with the bass presence in a closed can is what makes them special.

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #401 of 528
It may very well be the DFR can't properly drive the A5-PRO's. I listen with the DFR volume @ 25% and Foobar level ~ @ -14dB) and my SHP9500 does have a little more bass detail, impact, and volume than the A5-PRO's, while the TH-X00 PH has NOTICEABLY more impact and extension, not even same ballpark...the A5's have about 50 hours on them while the SHP9500 and TH-X00 PH each have several hundreds.

Absolutely no headphone has been as comfortable as the modded SHP9500 though, it outdoes the AKG K-7XX (just) in melt on your head and dissapear comfort, and adding the leather headstrap strap is the biggest reason for it. The Shure 1840 pads also brought up comfort level too, but the sound quality increase is the main reason to put them on over the stock pads. You get more lowend, both in impact and extenson, along with more detail and clarity throughout the entire frequency range. Main reason I have the SHP9500 is they are my gaming headset, and they excell at it. They are also great for symphonic and vocals, not bad at electronic either, though they are not close to TH-X00 PH in that category..

I do have an amp that can adequately power the A5-PRO's (4.5W capable output Meier Corda JAZZ-ff), just don't use it much for music because when paired with the DFR the sound isn't as good as it is directly out of the DFR. There is more low end impact, but everthing else is slightly worse, pretty sure it has to do with the amp section of the DFR being fed into another amp. Looking to get a stand alone DAC to pair with it because the JAZZ-ff sounds stellar from the DAC output of my SACD player.

Really want to like the A5-PRO, but I just can't physically stand to wear the phones for more than a few songs at the moment...can't take those on ear pads and headband pressure point on top of head. Until I can get comfort level acceptable they won't be having much listening time at all.

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #403 of 528
Yes! The darn pressure point on the top of the head is ANNOYING! Only headphone that I've ever had this issue with. I'm thinking of getting a pad, maybe retrofit a Beyerdynamic pad since they seem to have the best design or get a ZMF cow hide or lambskin pad. I'm 100% with you on top of the head "aches" with the A5Pro.

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #404 of 528
@SHAMuuu, good stuff! Your impression is by far in line with the majority of impressions I've heard about the SHP9500 though I'm not knocking it as a good headphone but I can't imagine the A5Pro being bested by it in bass texture and impact. The A5Pro isn't perfect but amped by the m9XX, I'm seriously liking what I'm hearing for a closed can. I like the X1, they are special but you give up impact and other things for soundstage going closed to open. I suspect under amping as well.

I actually just got the SZ1K, haven't had a listen yet. I have HM5 Thick, 55x and angled Brainwavz earpads in queue along with a Cayin C5 but that will be an entirely different beast. Agreed the DT770 are not "that bad" to carry around but these A5Pro fold up real slick and they have their attributes over the 770-80. I do enjoy that DT770-80 soundstage and I think that's the most noticeable difference (yes there are others).

I haven't done an AB between the A5Pro and DT770-80 yet but that soundstage with the bass presence in a closed can is what makes them special.

I would love to hear impressions on that A/B (a5/770.80) and possibly A/B/C (1K) as I have B/C and have A on possible future acquisition. So far very happy with C. And interested in A mostly b/c its power rating is so darn high relative to others in its category. I think it might have uptapped potential be in mods or synergy with certain amps. Even if genre specific, it seems to be put together so well.

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #405 of 528
It may very well be the DFR can't properly drive the A5-PRO's. I listen with the DFR volume @ 25% and Foobar level ~ @ -14dB) and my SHP9500 does have a little more bass detail, impact, and volume than the A5-PRO's, while the TH-X00 PH has NOTICEABLY more impact and extension, not even same ballpark...the A5's have about 50 hours on them while the SHP9500 and TH-X00 PH each have several hundreds.

Absolutely no headphone has been as comfortable as the modded SHP9500 though, it outdoes the AKG K-7XX (just) in melt on your head and dissapear comfort, and adding the leather headstrap strap is the biggest reason for it. The Shure 1840 pads also brought up comfort level too, but the sound quality increase is the main reason to put them on over the stock pads. You get more lowend, both in impact and extenson, along with more detail and clarity throughout the entire frequency range. Main reason I have the SHP9500 is they are my gaming headset, and they excell at it. They are also great for symphonic and vocals, not bad at electronic either, though they are not close to TH-X00 PH in that category..

I do have an amp that can adequately power the A5-PRO's (4.5W capable output Meier Corda JAZZ-ff), just don't use it much for music because when paired with the DFR the sound isn't as good as it is directly out of the DFR. There is more low end impact, but everthing else is slightly worse, pretty sure it has to do with the amp section of the DFR being fed into another amp. Looking to get a stand alone DAC to pair with it because the JAZZ-ff sounds stellar from the DAC output of my SACD player.

Really want to like the A5-PRO, but I just can't physically stand to wear the phones for more than a few songs at the moment...can't take those on ear pads and headband pressure point on top of head. Until I can get comfort level acceptable they won't be having much listening time at all.

Do you have photos of the 9500 b/c mine looks nothing like stock anymore, and ofc i have the headband issue. How did you fix this? Which leather strap.
As for top of head pressure i've felt on other cans, and sometimes breaking in helps, or i have used hairdryer to accelerate break in, which worked on a beyer i have with the ultrasone headband notorious for that same type annoyance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back