Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Dec 5, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #376 of 528
Just opened up the A5s. No extra pads or cables. The stock pads don't bother me. I think they are going to be fine. Clamping force is a bit much though. Going to stretch them some on a box overnight which should fix it.

I do believe this is one of the best headphone deals I've ever gotten. Love the sound OOTB. Going to burn in for a while just in case. Quality is top notch.

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #377 of 528
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/50/100x100px-LS-500d6db4_Alabama8_x3cu6h.gif[/img] 

Awesome! I(we)really appreciate the feedback, looks like you adapting rather quickly to the Beasts =-D

That was pretty fast shipping for you two gents. Still bummed to hear no extra pads. =-/

Yeah this is by far the best deal I have seen on HP's

Not sure if you guys remember but for the First 6 months Amazon USA had these listed for $530 !!
and people still bought them and enjoyed them.

They where actually pretty hard to get a hold of especially here in the US for a while there.

I felt pretty lucky snagging a pair off ebay for $400 and I wasn't really that early of an A5PRO adopter.

Anyways I think what might be going on since Philips Sold there headphone brand to Gibson they are probably phasing out
the DJ HP line and basically selling out there stock at or below cost.

I'm probably wrong and I hope I am.. Cause I would love for them to keep manufacturing the DJ lineup or create another beast like a A7PRO or (A5PRO II) 

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #378 of 528

Actually... The A5PRO are Bass Monsters.

Just give them enough juice and you're ready to party!

L3000.gif

Well I bought  a fiio a3 and the bass boost is more than I need
basshead.gif
These cans are really good with enough juice as you say
beerchug.gif
Software eq just didn't help before a3

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #380 of 528
  Well I bought  a fiio a3 and the bass boost is more than I need
basshead.gif
These cans are really good with enough juice as you say
beerchug.gif
Software eq just didn't help before a3

Good choice =-D

Lol yeah, that should be plenty of extra juice!

Just checked out the specs on that Headphone Amplifier

-Suitable for headphones ranging from 16 to 150 Ohms
-Fully discrete bass boost circuit increases output by 3.5dB at 60Hz
-1400mAh internal battery powers for up to 16 hours
-$59.99

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #383 of 528
I imagine any straight cable with the same size connector and clearance would work, but it would be nice to get a cable with the custom locking mechanism. Does any other cable manufacturer or headphone use that same mechanism? Anyone find a source on the ear pads? Kind of a bummer if a source of new ear pads with the locking adapter can't be located. Makes pad swapping extra risky. Tough to A/B quickly as well. I'm really digging these headphones. From vague memory these seem to sound similar to the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 though I only heard it a couple times, can anyone make that comparison? Next to my TH-X00, they are fairly similar with some differences. Not sure why these cans got no love. Clearly they are on their way out.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #384 of 528
Anybody know where to buy the larger ear pads and the straight cable?

I contacted Philips about the large ear pads. They said the best place would be the Armin Van Buuren website which is out of stock. I'm thinking that they are no longer available which would mean the only way to get them would be on ebay (with a little luck).

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #385 of 528
I did the same and the customer service rep said Philips sells headphones but HAS NO ACCESS TO PARTS. Wha? Yep, true story. They then directed me to Amazon and Encompass Parts which were dead end (these being searched by the customer service rep while I'm waiting on the phone and searching same sites as well, bless her heart). So end of story as far as I can tell is that there's essentially no support/parts for these unless you warranty your set thru Philips. The rep also checked the Group On site and commented on how the pictures were inaccurate to the package contents listed in the specs.

I've seen some DIY threads with respect to these headphones but haven't had a chance to check them out. I also cannot find a single frequency response graph that's not based on some mod.

IMO, these sound great but you're on your own moving forward. Anyone got any impressions of these in comparison to the Audio Technica MSR7?

Bottomline is I really am enjoying their sound but not sure why they got no love? Did Philips piss off the audiophile gods? The thread doesn't have much feedback in terms of quality issues so I'm not sure where these fell flat other than maybe the starting price point. The build of these headphones is VERY thorough and robust. If I we're a DJ and needed something I can beat up and sounded great, this fits the bill.

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #387 of 528
I did the same and the customer service rep said Philips sells headphones but HAS NO ACCESS TO PARTS. Wha? Yep, true story. They then directed me to Amazon and Encompass Parts which were dead end (these being searched by the customer service rep while I'm waiting on the phone and searching same sites as well, bless her heart). So end of story as far as I can tell is that there's essentially no support/parts for these unless you warranty your set thru Philips. The rep also checked the Group On site and commented on how the pictures were inaccurate to the package contents listed in the specs.

I've seen some DIY threads with respect to these headphones but haven't had a chance to check them out. I also cannot find a single frequency response graph that's not based on some mod.

IMO, these sound great but you're on your own moving forward. Anyone got any impressions of these in comparison to the Audio Technica MSR7?

Bottomline is I really am enjoying their sound but not sure why they got no love? Did Philips piss off the audiophile gods? The thread doesn't have much feedback in terms of quality issues so I'm not sure where these fell flat other than maybe the starting price point. The build of these headphones is VERY thorough and robust. If I we're a DJ and needed something I can beat up and sounded great, this fits the bill.

I really appreciate the legwork you and the others are doing trying to hook us up with pads. I am really enjoying mine, and it is kinda haunting me that I have these awesome headphones that I love (I could normally never afford a set this high-end - this was the kind of deal I hoped and hoped and waited and waited for) and are built to last 3 lifetimes but the weak link will be the pads. Especially since the pad material doesn't seem all that robust - in contrast to the rest of the unit. Thankfully though I do find the pads quite comfortable. I've been planning on getting on it - scouring the web myself - but have to wonder what I'll come up with that you all haven't. But I'll try. We've got to cash in. Many thanks again you guys...kd

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #389 of 528
The stock pads are great, I'd just like to roll them to something a little larger hopefully for improved comfort and to see what happens to the signature. I really like these as is but ultimately prefer larger pads.

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #390 of 528
Here is the response from the Armada Music Shop regarding the stock status of the large PCU110 pads:

No they won't be coming anymore.. We can't order them, because the manufacturer is all out :frowning2: Sorry! 

Kindest regards,

Armadamusicshop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back