Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Nov 30, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #346 of 528
OMG, I made it all the way thru BF and CM and now I see this Groupon deal. Any way of knowing how long this will last?

Also can anyone who has (or has heard) both compare these to the Denon AH-D600? I do like the big bass of the Denons but I don't have to have bass that big - I use the Asus Xonar DG soundcard and I'm wondering if that has enough juice to bring out the bass of these. I love the comfort of the D600 - that loose-ish fit is great for couch chilling lol. It sounds like these have a pretty good clamp but hopefully it can be loosened up with some strategic stretching. What I don't love about the Denons is a sometimes painful spike somewhere in the upper mids and is why I have always considered selling them (if anyone has any equalizing advice for that feel free to message me or point to a link).

Thanks for any opinions. I want to jump at this deal :)

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #347 of 528
The A5 has a very textured and realistic bass, hits when called upon but as a bass head can it doesn't cut it but when it comes to overall performance, it'll beat the D600.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #349 of 528
OMG, I made it all the way thru BF and CM and now I see this Groupon deal. Any way of knowing how long this will last?

Also can anyone who has (or has heard) both compare these to the Denon AH-D600? I do like the big bass of the Denons but I don't have to have bass that big - I use the Asus Xonar DG soundcard and I'm wondering if that has enough juice to bring out the bass of these. I love the comfort of the D600 - that loose-ish fit is great for couch chilling lol. It sounds like these have a pretty good clamp but hopefully it can be loosened up with some strategic stretching. What I don't love about the Denons is a sometimes painful spike somewhere in the upper mids and is why I have always considered selling them (if anyone has any equalizing advice for that feel free to message me or point to a link).

Thanks for any opinions. I want to jump at this deal :)

I've not heard either one, but based on reviews I would absolutely jump on it for $80 without hesitation.... that's like getting an SRT Viper GTS for the price of a Honda Civic Si! I have the Philips SHP9500's that are a phenominal low cost open can that were picked up for ~$70....these are only $10 more with a much more premium build quality... Worst you can do is sell them if you don't like them.

I was more excited about the AIAIAI TMA-2 setup I have coming in, and was thinking of possibly selling the A5-PRO's I had on order with Amazon (for a good price) but this insane low price makes the incoming A5-PRO's much more interesting than they were before. Especially since sonically they will probably make for great set of gaming phones....with a little fitment mods can make them comfortable enough.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #351 of 528
Between the Fostex TH-X00 PH's, SHP9500's, and now the incoming A5-PRO...I've absolutely come to the conclusion I need a 3D printer to make them how I want (along with some other non-headphone related things). Ever since putting the leather strap on the SHP9500's, the TH-X00 have become much more uncomfortable...have been wanting want to put leather strap on the AH-D2000 / TH-X00 since... always. But I want it done in a modular manner and without any need to dissassemble the headpone at all. I have a concept that I should work very well... 3D printer would allow me to easily test and refine the design to create parts that both are durable enough and flow well with the design of the TH-X00.

For the SHP9500, it needs a better design for the small headstrap retainer pieces that secure the headstrap ends to the headband locking posts. And as for the A5-PRO, well it would be nice to try out lots of full size pad options with earpad adapters (reverse engineer the stock ones), have some different cup caps (not that crazy about the stock ones), and looks like there are nice mounting locations already built in awaiting to have some adapters designed for running a leather head strap...

Plus I have this wacky idea that involves combining a SHP9500 with Fostex Biodyna drivers....a combination of ultimate comfort and one of my favorite drivers....

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #352 of 528
Ok I'm in for 1...many thanks guys for the input, much appreciated.
BTW the coupon code did not take - popup said something about specific product or deal blah blah blah. No biggie.
I B psyched:D

-kd

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #353 of 528
I doubt that all 3 sizes of pads are included. Between friends and myself, I have never seen these come with more than the included medium size set. 

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #354 of 528
I doubt that all 3 sizes of pads are included. Between friends and myself, I have never seen these come with more than the included medium size set. 

Time will tell. Where is a good place to purchase the other pads?

Edit: watched a couple of unboxing videos on Youtube. Looks like it will only come with the medium pads unless they throw in the other sizes which I highly doubt.

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #355 of 528
Time will tell. Where is a good place to purchase the other pads?

Edit: watched a couple of unboxing videos on Youtube. Looks like it will only come with the medium pads unless they throw in the other sizes which I highly doubt.

ANY place you can find them - the other optional pads are virtually IMPOSSIBLE to find....part of the reason I want to make my own adapter for common pads for them.

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #356 of 528
D@mn I was too slow!

Price Jumped to $150

At $80 that price was probably AT or Below Cost. 

---

Also Yes, some A5PRO have come with all 3 Pads

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #357 of 528
Just learned of the customizable caps, which sound spretty cool
biggrin.gif

can someone breakdown this "3500mw: business
b/c thats an unusually high number , surely not continuously

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #358 of 528
  D@mn I was too slow!

Price Jumped to $150

At $80 that price was probably AT or Below Cost. 

---

Also Yes, some A5PRO have come with all 3 Pads

I just got a Fedex tracking number 
biggrin.gif
.  Hope I get lucky with all 3 pad sets.

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #359 of 528
  Just learned of the customizable caps, which sound spretty cool
biggrin.gif

can someone breakdown this "3500mw: business
b/c thats an unusually high number , surely not continuously

Yeah It's pretty cool, Mine Came from Florida with MIAMI 2014 caps =-D
4 Caps total. 2 Stock Caps and one MIAMI and one Armin van Burren

3500mW is ridiculously high, but being they are Professional DJ headphones they are
required to produce insanely loud levels of sound.

Rumor has it that Armin van Burren puts Ear Plugs on underneath the A5PRO
and cranks up the volume.

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #360 of 528

I just got a Fedex tracking number 
biggrin.gif
.  Hope I get lucky with all 3 pad sets.

Yeah slowpickr you rock! thanks for taking the Dive and jumping on that price!!

When I first got these Cans I immediately wanted a backup pair.

It's funny about a week ago I was checking prices on the A5PRO 

Amazon has them on Sale for $181 and I thought WOW! Good deal! 
Time to buy a backup!

Then you guys started throwing around the $79 price and my brain started melting.

basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back