Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Mar 3, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #151 of 528
Finally I've ordered A5 pro :)

It's the last piece avaible on ebay, the price is good: 229€ + shipping from Germany (from official Philips site or Armada shop still 300€).
Here's the link if you want the remaining piece: http://www.ebay.it/itm/251863248728?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Can't wait to compare to my Sennheiser HD8 DJ!

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #153 of 528
  Finally I've ordered A5 pro :)

It's the last piece avaible on ebay, the price is good: 229€ + shipping from Germany (from official Philips site or Armada shop still 300€).
Here's the link: http://www.ebay.it/itm/251863248728?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Can't wait to compare to my Sennheiser HD8 DJ!

Awesome! I'm excited to hear your impressions on the A5PRO

beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #154 of 528
Me too!!! :)

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Philips-A5-PRO-Professioneller-DJ-Kopfhorer-a5pro-NEU-OVP-/251865755470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3aa45e6f4e

Here's the same vendor... Another two pieces of A5 ready for shipping, always at 229€.

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #155 of 528
who wants to buy philps a5-pro...need money guys..

hope someone can buy this...seldom used,..and i bought it also online...in the armin van  buuren event in miami florida last year.

complete and no scratches or any sign of defect,

just need money right now...

email me for those interested: janzen176@gmail.com

ill send the info and pictures.

thanks

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #157 of 528

Finally!!!
Comparing with my Sennheiser HD8 DJ (I've copied the layout review from Hi5):

Build Quality & Durability - HD8
Stock pads are better on HD8 but I've ordered PCU110 studio cushion, headband is better on HD8 and reaaaaaally flexible, swivel earcup.

Presentation & Accessories - HD8
HD8 all the way.

Confort - ?
I've got A5 pro only by yesterday

Looks (subjective) HD8
Really great looks, A5 have a classic design

Sound isolation - HD8 (FOR NOW)
Ordered PCU110, with stock earpad HD8 wins

Pricing - A5
Bought from ebay at 219€, HD8 last year cost me 300€

Power Handling - A5PRO - 16 Ohm @ 3500mW
Amazing
basshead.gif

Sound A5PRO ALL THE WAY
Thanks Armin! Perfect Trance-oriented headphone!

Ambiance - Impressive Sound Stage - best I've head in a closed back (totally agree with Hi5)

Analytical - Excellent Detail, very pleased with the A5PRO sonic clarity (again, totally agree)

Balance -  Impressive, nothing really dominates over the others, you hear everything very well (...and again... HD8 is too bassy in some songs, some detail is missing)

Treble - Excellent (much better then the HD8) (totally agree)

Mids - Finally a great mids! Comparing with HD8, the A5 really shines on mids frequencies!

Bass - Powerful bass and plenty of it when the track calls for it, but not boosted... More realistic bass

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #158 of 528
Got mine. I'm critical (been around this scene for 20+ years, so have heard/worn a lot of cans. A lot).

My gripes:

- NOT fully circumaural with stock 93mm diameter pads for medium sized ears. They rest partially on the ear. Not comfortable for long term use.
 - pads not deep enough, again, medium-sized ears touch the cloth on the bottom of the pads. Reduced long-time wearing comfort
 - bigger 110mm pads are not available, from the store that Philips support site claims they are available from. I have asked.
 - bass is not the most articulate or impactful (referenced in closed is Beyedrynamic T70P, which is impactful and accurate, not a fart-cannon like many of the basshead cans)
 - dislike the coiled cord , yet understand the purpose of it for DJ work and it is easily replaced, although the locking mechanism for cable on the can end is (afaik) proprietary and non-standard

Other than that, they look like a very decent DJ cans, very easy to drive, not too fatiguing sound signature and look like very well built. I'm probably selling mine (5th closed circumaural headphone disappointment for me).

Remember, I'm highly picky, particular and extremely demanding. Many will find these brilliant headphones, esp, for mobile or DJ use.

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #159 of 528
Mar 20, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #160 of 528

A "small" upgrade: PCU 110 Studio Pads.
Now the headphone is really confortable :)
The large velour pads isolate very well and they are bigger than Sennheiser HD8, but leather pads of HD8 STILL better on isolation, thanks to the big bass boost of the headphone and a more dense foam.

With Studio Pads the A5 sounds really good, like more "Hi-Fidelity", opening up a bit the soundstage and reducing a little bit the punch of the bass, but personally I prefer this way... For a closed headphone this performance is almost out-of-this-world IMHO.
When I want more bass my Fiio e12 has a "bass boost" button or I take the Sennheiser directly :wink:

P.s.: Sorry for my poor English, I'm Italian... :p
P.p.s.: The cable of HD8 is superior... Very wel built, heavy, with blue rings at the gold connector... It deserves 10/10. The A5 cable looks cheap in comparison... But is only a cable :)

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #162 of 528
Tetsuya88: Thanks again for the follow up info, really digging that setup!

beerchug.gif

I'm going to have to try that Pad mod out! (PCU 110 Studio Pads)

@ Kameenadesi

I haven't really watched any movies with the A5PRO yet.. I normally grab my X2 or if I need to block out allot of background noise I use the HD8 DJ

But ill test it out. I'm willing to bet that Tetsuya88 Pad Mod improves that movie experience quite a bit.
L3000.gif

And FYI if you want to swap out the big and bulky A5PRO stock cable, I found that a Bestbuy Beats cable works pretty good!

Head-Fi Confessional - I bought Beats.. And I liked it..

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #164 of 528
Mmm for movies like Walking Dead I take HD8... Bass for explosion or gunfire are BOOOOOMY and in this case I don't care about quality sound! :)

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #165 of 528
Got mine- sound is great , construction is great, Squeezes my head though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back