Phiaton MS400 / Sennheiser HD25-II, Which would you buy?
Jul 4, 2010 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Blakers

New Head-Fier
Hi all, 

I'm new here, but i've been keeping an eye on the threads over the last few weeks as I'm in need of some advice on new headphones.

I'm looking for something that has a fairly good chance of blocking out the sound of next doors child, and the dance festival that the flat below me likes to host :wink: Plus I want to use my new phones to commute so the more noise they block out the better really. And obviously they need to sound amazing....

I originally started looking at noise cancelling models, but after reading through some of the threads on here, I've been persuaded that IEM's or closed back phones would offer far superior sound at a better price... I've never got on particularly well with IEM's so I'm really just looking for some decent quality closed back headphones.

My budget sits around £200/£300 and so far I like the HD25's and the Phaiaton MS400's, has anyone here owned/ tried both? and is there anything else you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help

Blakers

Jul 4, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 8
Not that I've heard them, but I'd go for the Senns based upon all accounts.

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 8
There is a review of portable cans in the portable headphone section which compares both the cans you referenced.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Posting a link would have been courteous.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 8
Just to give you another option... I never hear Phiaton... but between Sennheiser HD-25-II (even with HD650 cable) and Sure SRH-840, I prefer Sure SRH-840.

Jul 5, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 8
Here's the big portables review/comparison thread by Joker...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-38-portable-headphones-compared-equation-audio-ep3070-added-07-04/

There are tons of reviews of the Senn HD25 on the forums if you just dig around a bit. Here's my review of the MS 400:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495667/review-phiaton-ms-400

If you're looking for high isolation, also consider the Beyerdynamic DT770 or DT770M.

Jul 5, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 8
Cheers for that.. Looking at the Sure's now aswell :wink:

One thing I'm not so "sure" about though :wink:.. Is whether I'll need a portable amp for the sennheisers. Looking at the reviews you posted, it seems like I definitely wouldn't for the phiatons, but the sennheisers look like they have a much higher impedance. 

I've never considered using a portable amp before, and don't really know much about them. Would it be worth looking at them if I went with the senn HD25-II's? or do you think I could I get away without one.. (I should probably mention I was also looking at the denon AHD2000/5000's before posting here, but a couple of the reviews here suggested they needed to be coupled with a decent amp to get the best out of them).

Do you recon this would be the case with the HD25-II's as well?

Thanks

Jul 5, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 8
An amp makes a significant difference for the Shure 840s.  I haven't heard the Senns.

Once you get up into that range, an amp will probably improve the sound of any headphone at least a bit.  What is your current source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back