PFE or RE0
Oct 13, 2010 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

bakka

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Im in the market again right now and now I wanna buy something called "analytical". Although I dont exactly know what analytical means I can imagine. Then,with limited budget of course,two choices poped up in my mind PFE and RE0. Im listening %80 metal (death,old school thrash metal and some deathcore/metalcore) %10 classical %10 jazz.Im satisfied with silver bullet and hippo vb's actually but I wanna hear something clearer if i mentioned it correctly. I want details,instrument separation (especially drums and also for classical of course) and clarity in short I wanna hear everything properly. I have rb'ed clip and my upper limit is PFE's price. Another advices except this two will be highly appreciated. 

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 35
14 views,0 comments
frown.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 35
1 vote for REO

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 35

Quote:
That is right,the argument would be that it is future proof and is ready for future balaned portable DAC/AMPs and DAPs

In fact Im not sure that I understood you properly. What do you mean sir? Also I dont think that Im gonna carry any amps maybe an E5 or sth like in that size..

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 35
I would take RE0 over PFE any day. RE0 is an amazing deal at $79 and punches well above the low asking price. It sounds very neutral and the frequency response is very extended, especially in the treble. PFE costs significantly more. It is also well extended and quite neutral, but its timbre is a bit off IMO and it also seriously lacks micro detail. RE0 sounds more natural and nuanced, whereas Phonak sounds schematic and splashy by comparison, if that makes sense, unable to reproduce a lot of subtle details and atmosphere in music.

That being said, now that the more efficient RE-ZERO came out, I would definitely go with that one over the RE0. RE0 is great and probably a better deal at $20 less, but it is quite hard to drive properly and out of cheap sources like most portable players and onboard PC soundcards, it will loose a lot of speed and definition. RE-ZERO should do better with weak amps because of it's lower impedance of 16 Ohms vs. 64 Ohms on the RE0.

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 35
First of all thank you guys for those comments. I read a lot reviews abotu REZERO and RE0 actually and usually said that REZERO has great detail too but the treble and mids arent as good as RE0. I know,RE0 is hard to drive since its 64 ohms and may i consider that when Im gonna use RE0 with my clip or fuze I cant get the real potential which it has and REZERO gonna give me more performance w/o amps.

I mean REZERO+ clip > RE0+clip 

or am i wrong

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #12 of 35
I find the RE0 good for death, trash, metalcore and whatever little jazz I listen to.  It would need a bit more bass quantity and weight to be perfect for the metal subgenres but the speed of its bass is very good for those genres and I think it's a decent tradeoff for the price.

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 35

Quote:
I find the RE0 good for death, trash, metalcore and whatever little jazz I listen to.  It would need a bit more bass quantity and weight to be perfect for the metal subgenres but the speed of its bass is very good for those genres and I think it's a decent tradeoff for the price.

First,its not "trash" its "thrash". Secondly,thanks for this advice but Im still waiting what pianist gonna say about my consideration.

Oct 15, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #14 of 35
I compared the PFEs and the RE0s for a while, out of the Clip. That was a very close call but i ended up keeping my PFEs (i had the RE0s on loan). They're very similar in many respects. What struck me with the RE0s is the midrange. The upper mids are slightly too prominent for my tastes (but less than the PFEs with grey filters), yet the timbre is stellar. Currently i enjoy the midrange of the PFEs a lot with the black filters. What they do better than RE0s imo is speed and deep bass. The PFEs are closer to my electrostats, while the RE0s sound like a very good dynamic headphone. I also used the RE0s with the Fiio E5 but i didn't hear any improvement. I admit the RE0s have a terrific value for money though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back