pfe 112, e-Q7 or ie8? help me T.T
Apr 19, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #16 of 42
@Kun

You might have checked these threads but in case you haven't:

Top-Tier Universal IEM Comparison Chart, Frequency Response Charts, & Discussion (First Post Updated Often)
and
Impressions of the Ortofon e-Q7 versus the IE8, CK100, SE530, FX500 and X10 (plus CK10 discussion from post #120)

I only have the IE8 and have never heard the others you mentioned, but I chose the IE8 because I like their main sound characteristics: warm, have strong bass with sufficient mid & high as well as good clarity, great soundstage, and laid-back presentation, therefore, based on other members' impressions I would lean more towards the e-Q7 for you due to it not having the mid-upper bass hump of the IE8 as well as lower overall bass level and more forward mids, which suits female vocal and your preference (non bass head) better. I auditioned the SE530 as well and found that it is indeed mid-centric (in a good way), but I personally feel the bass and treble are quite weak and cannot keep up with the mid.

Instead of IE8, alternatively I would suggest the Monster Turbines Pro Copper or the wooden Victor-JVC HA-FX700 (which I recently ordered so haven't got it in hand yet), since they are described by other members as being able to reduce much of the IE8 mid-upper bass hump (with the FX700s having a bit more & deeper bass, more treble, and are more natural than the Copper Turbines), have better clarity, and more neutral, but still retaining pretty much of the IE8's warmth and other main characteristics.

Good luck with deciding!

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #17 of 42
@lucozade & mark,

i've considered 530 before but the cables are prone to cracking. Back home, the avg temperature is around 32 degrees C with a humidity level of 90% and above all year round, sweating is normal. Im afraid the cables wont last that long?

@m-p

I've checked those links over and over again, going through page by page..
I've read about the jvc's fx700, reviews seem so sweet, but it's hella expensive over here.

Hmm, looks like i get so many recommendations on the e-Q7s...but still theres 2 more weeks before I get sufficient funds to get those pretty shiny IEM.
smile.gif

I've read about CK10s..will they do any good on female vocals and classical musics? but they're pretty shy on bass..am i correct?

Im quite surprised that CK10s are more expensive than e-Q7s here in UK.
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #18 of 42
The e-Q7s are a great, and probably best, choice you could have made out of that group. I highly suggest you look at the Top Tier Universal IEM comparison chart that m-p posted a few posts up, along with reading into the UM3Xs.

And to clarify a question a few posts up about the W2/W3 vs UM2/3X phones, the "regular" Westones are aimed at a broader audience with an emphasis on the bass and treble while the UMX line is marketed as musician monitors, giving a smaller stage, and more neutral sound signature.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #19 of 42
The CK10 have great treble but it depends on how you like your treble presentation. How their bass depends on what you are used to. If you have been using bassy stuff then they will seem bass light. They don't have the impact that you may be used to but I don't consider them bass light since they do extend fairly low. The CK10 cables however are one of the best.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #20 of 42
I've owned every IEM mentioned here and I would suggest forgetting about the PFEs. They're good as budget entry-level IEMS, but not much else. CK10s are bass-light and treble-heavy to the point of being sibilant with some songs. e-Q7s are probably the best all-around universal IEMs available right now. IE8s have unbeatable soundstage and bass impact if you like warmer sound signatures. The UM3X is probably best described as a less-engaging version of the e-Q7.

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #21 of 42
since so many people say the e-Q7s are really 'transparent' and have great clarity, would that mean that these IEMs gonna be more revealing to low bitrate tracks and bad recordings?

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since so many people say the e-Q7s are really 'transparent' and have great clarity, would that mean that these IEMs gonna be more revealing to low bitrate tracks and bad recordings?

Sadly, yes. Bad stuff is going to sound horrible.

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #23 of 42
I left my CDs all back home in Brunei
frown.gif
..and most of my songs are ripped at 192kbps-320kbps, the lowest being 128kbps. Will that be any good?
redface.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #24 of 42
It will come down to how lenient you are. The e-Q87s are amazing IEMs but they will only go as well as your source/source files let them. The lowest I would say to go is 256 then I take note of a loss in quality.

You might have to delete some files but you'll eventually build your library back up again with more music
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned every IEM mentioned here and I would suggest forgetting about the PFEs. They're good as budget entry-level IEMS, but not much else.

Please bear in mind that judgements on sound are subjective when making sweeping statements.

Like I say I prefer the PFE to the IE8 and also to the RE0.

You're right when you say you prefer other phones and I'm right when I say I prefer the PFE. It comes down to personal taste.

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

I left my CDs all back home in Brunei
frown.gif
..and most of my songs are ripped at 192kbps-320kbps, the lowest being 128kbps. Will that be any good?
redface.gif

I don't find them bad with low bit-rate songs but they sounded very bad with songs that are badly recorded.

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please bear in mind that judgements on sound are subjective when making sweeping statements.

Like I say I prefer the PFE to the IE8 and also to the RE0.

You're right when you say you prefer other phones and I'm right when I say I prefer the PFE. It comes down to personal taste.

Excellent post, I too share your personal opinion. After listening to both for a long time, I too prefer the PFEs over the IE8s.

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

I've checked those links over and over again, going through page by page..
I've read about the jvc's fx700, reviews seem so sweet, but it's hella expensive over here.

You should be able to order it online through seyo-shop, it's about $340 including shipping.

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Yes, but not overly so. Low bitrate artefacts in mp3 files are mostly noticable in treble. The Ortofons are very detailed and transparent, but IME actually more forgiving than less transparent IEMs with more forward treble like RE0, CK10 or HJE900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back