pfe 112, e-Q7 or ie8? help me T.T
Apr 20, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #31 of 42
It was either a PFE with a new and better portable amp..

or

the e-Q7s then..

but somehow im more leaned to the e-Q7s after reading the reviews a 2nd round. I guess it's worth the 10days wait then.
atsmile.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #32 of 42
I've read the w2 threads after a recommendation from a fellow head-fier, pretty convincing. Everyone is impressed with its instruments separation and above average soundstage.

any opinions on how the w2 would compare to eQ7? i did try the search function, but no success.

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read the w2 threads after a recommendation from a fellow head-fier, pretty convincing. Everyone is impressed with its instruments separation and above average soundstage.

any opinions on how the w2 would compare to eQ7? i did try the search function, but no success.

You should search for each phone individually and then mentally compare after you have read up on the headphones.

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #34 of 42
I got no experience with the W2 but I did have some time with the W3, UM2 and UM3X. The W3 has more than enough bass to satisfy any bass head around so if you don't like too much bass in your music it would be best to avoid it. Soundstage is good for an IEM but I did not have it long enough to compare it with my e-Q7 but it is quite huge. Judging from your 1st post it would be better for you to get the e-Q7 or the UM3x since you like vocals. Both excel in instrument separation, imaging, details and vocals though the latter doesn't perform quite as well with soundstage. If you are a bit short on cash I suggest you try the UM2.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by helljudgement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got no experience with the W2 but I did have some time with the W3, UM2 and UM3X. The W3 has more than enough bass to satisfy any bass head around so if you don't like too much bass in your music it would be best to avoid it. Soundstage is good for an IEM but I did not have it long enough to compare it with my e-Q7 but it is quite huge. Judging from your 1st post it would be better for you to get the e-Q7 or the UM3x since you like vocals. Both excel in instrument separation, imaging, details and vocals though the latter doesn't perform quite as well with soundstage. If you are a bit short on cash I suggest you try the UM2.

^About the UM3X's soundstage... I know a lot of people say it's small but IMO it's perfectly representative of the original recording's soundstage. It doesn't add or take away any distance that was originally there which, IMO, an IEM shouldn't do. It is a stage monitor though so seperation and realism of stage is what it needs to do best.

Coming from the Triples the stage was noticeably smaller though, but when listening to orchestras or concert pieces, the stage is just fine and I feel like I'm in the 2nd or 3rd row.

When listening to vocals however, it seems like they are 3 feet in front of me. So... yea, with this phone YMMV but I have no gripes about the soundstage.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #36 of 42
^I fully understand what you are on about. The UM3X is all about reproducing the way the music is being recorded and it is a truly great IEM make no mistake about that and I do enjoy it very much. But I do feel the extra soundstage found on the e-Q7 does makes the music a bit more fun and engaging to listen to but that does not makes it any better than what's found on the UM3X. Its all preference.

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #37 of 42
^Good point. I did enjoy (and I probably would still enjoy) the soundstage on the Triples when listening to pop and rock over the UM3Xs. For rap/hip hop I like the 3Xs more because it feels like I'm right in front of the artist, right in front of the mic.

Sadly I haven't heard the Ortofons yet but I'm sure I will in the future
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

First post..yay~
tongue.gif

anyways, been lurking in here for quite a while...(6months?) yeah 6 months..to decide which one should i get to get my own audio delight and enlightement.

4 months and i still have not yet decided on which IEM..
frown.gif
there's so many mixed reviews.

I own a PortaPro, Im happily content with the sound, until i heard my friend's UE TF10 more than a year ago..i can still remember the feeling that i get from those
atsmile.gif

Not much of a bass head,I love female vocals, Vanessa Carlton, Stacey Kent, Zee Avi, Yuna ( not sure if anyone know her)..and Jazz, all kind of jazz,from old jazz to Nu Jazz, from Frank Sinatra up to Jamiroquai, indie, acoustics, and lately i've been bitten by the Classical Music bug again after listening to Shostakovich symphonies...

e-Q7, period. PFE won't even come close. IE8 is too bassy and the bass quality is not that great either. SE530 will loose out to the e-Q7 big time unless you will be able to get a perfect fit with it. If you get a perfect fit SE530 is also the one to consider, but for best sound in a universal IEM with the stock tips, e-Q7 rules IMO. For classical, I can guarantee that the e-Q7 will give you goosebumps - they are incredibly dynamic, coherent and realistic sounding for this type of music, like no other IEM I've heard.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #39 of 42
Awesome, thanks alot for the recommendations and explanation guys!

@Pianist

how does the depth and imaging of eQ7 compares to the westone range?
smile.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Awesome, thanks alot for the recommendations and explanation guys!

@Pianist

how does the depth and imaging of eQ7 compares to the westone range?
smile.gif

e-Q7 beats the dual driver UM2 easily in soundstage size - it is much wider on the e-Q7. Soundstage depth may actually be a bit better on the UM2, but e-Q7 has more depth to the actual sounds, while the Westones simply place them further away. Roughly the same can be said if you compare e-Q7 to UM3X as well as the flagship ES3X customs - the Westones win in soundstage depth, and have slightly more precise imaging (placement of sounds within the soundstage), but the e-Q7 has more depth to the actual sounds and have a wider, more forward stage. They also have a more open, natural sounding midrange than even the ES3X. Well, to be fair, the ES3X does sound technically better than the e-Q7 in many ways, but it also costs 2.5 times as much. But the good news is that e-Q7 sounds more musical and coherent than any Westone I tried, at least to my ears. UM3X and ES3X sound almost clinical by comparison. e-Q7 has a much more natural, textured, engaging overall presentation IMO. It has a very unique analog sound that I've never heard in any other IEM that makes anything with real instruments sound more realistic and present than on any other IEM I tried. Oh and BTW, e-Q7 also has amazing clarity - easily on par with the ES3X and better than any Westone universal I tried (UM3X, UM2) those sound a bit muddy by comparison.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
e-Q7 beats the dual driver UM2 easily in soundstage size - it is much wider on the e-Q7. Soundstage depth may actually be a bit better on the UM2, but e-Q7 has more depth to the actual sounds, while the Westones simply place them further away. Roughly the same can be said if you compare e-Q7 to UM3X as well as the flagship ES3X customs - the Westones win in soundstage depth, and have slightly more precise imaging (placement of sounds within the soundstage), but the e-Q7 has more depth to the actual sounds and have a wider, more forward stage. They also have a more open, natural sounding midrange than even the ES3X. Well, to be fair, the ES3X does sound technically better than the e-Q7 in many ways, but it also costs 2.5 times as much. But the good news is that e-Q7 sounds more musical and coherent than any Westone I tried, at least to my ears. UM3X and ES3X sound almost clinical by comparison. e-Q7 has a much more natural, textured, engaging overall presentation IMO. It has a very unique analog sound that I've never heard in any other IEM that makes anything with real instruments sound more realistic and present than on any other IEM I tried. Oh and BTW, e-Q7 also has amazing clarity - easily on par with the ES3X and better than any Westone universal I tried (UM3X, UM2) those sound a bit muddy by comparison.

Constantly reading your posts keeps making me think about my UM3X purchase over the Ortofons. I had the choice to pick between the two at the time and chose the 3Xs because of the comfort and imaging. In the future I just might try the Ortofons and see what I like.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, thank you Pianist for the detailed comparison. Sorry if i've been asking too much as I've never owned an audiophile quality IEM before, hence I don't really have a reference as to what sound signature I'm actually looking for.
Again, I would like to thank you for all those explanations and recommendations given by fellow Head-Fiers.
beerchug.gif

Will be getting my eQ7s hopefully by the end of next week.
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back