petition to ban/delete threads about active ebay auctions
Jul 5, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #76 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My idea on how to solve this to help meet the needs and wants of most...

Create a new catagory in the SALE section of this forum called eBay Auctions and Retailer Deals. This way if someone wants to posts a good find from on online retailer, they can without clogging up the main discussion catagories. I myself am guilty of this offense even as of today.

And people could post eBay finds if they felt the need to as well. It would be doubtful that those threads would get nearly as much traffic as they do now in the discussion threads, thereby keeping down the attention of casual person that isn't really looking to do an impulse buy on a highly attractive deal. And yet those of us that troll the FS forums would be able to see these deals as they are discovered and shared, if we haven't already found them first
very_evil_smiley.gif

But then again, what the hell do I know
wink.gif

see the issue for me isn't the "clogging" of the headphones forum. i don't understand why everyone is so concerned with posts that stray the least bit off topic, but yet tolerate new "what's the difference between grado and alessandro" or "hd650 or 325i?" threads each and every day...sometimes more than one on the front page alone.

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #77 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This seems like a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Perhaps, or maybe fighting fire with fire?

At least I'm contributing something to this thread other than additional petition creation.
tongue.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #79 of 89
HAHA

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #80 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I vote for a pardon
wink.gif

At least commute the sentence.....

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #81 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh wait, there aren't any ridiculous prices because the buyer is willing to pay that much. As long as someone is willing to pay a certain amount for an item, then that justifies the cost. The average going rate for these rare headphones is irrelevant, of course. There's nothing wrong with a K1000 auction going for, say, $1800, when they usually go for MUCH less. It's your fault because you didn't have the money, and it doesn't matter that posting the link on here drove the price that high. It's not even a ridiculous price because there was a demand for it at that price. Who cares if the price shot up because the link was posted here. Information is for everyone. You must ALWAYS look at these things objectively. The next time there is a rare headphone on eBay, please fulfill your civic duty to post that auction link EVERYWHERE you can, so that just in case somebody who is interested in the item but isn't bright enough to consider searching for it on eBay can bid on it. The price may go up several times more than how much the item usually goes for, but who gives a crap! You're not interested in bidding on the item, so it doesn't make a difference to you. Plus, it's ALWAYS a fair price if someone is willing to pay that much for it (I mean, even if some high rollers drove the price of a K1000 up to $5000 or something, it's still not a ridiculous price because there are people who are willing to pay that much for it).

Yes...thats right. I'm glad you finally understand.
cool.gif
Market price is defined as "the price at which buyers and sellers trade the item in an open marketplace"...if they're willing to pay that much, then yes, that is the market price. I would be surprised if you're using the head-fi for sale section or audiogon to guage "market price" over ebay. There are alot more consumers on eBay...if anything, its market price is much more correct.

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #82 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Design /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with a place that seems to have a pretty solid set of ground-rules, i don't really understand how so many of you pretend to be so laissez-faire

this thread was mostly a joke, but i do find the e-bay threads really annoying and not much more than blatant trolling

I for one never liked the rules very much. And anyway I don't think censorship is the way to a better community. If I was in charge, people would be allowed to discuss freely what they want to discuss, and those who don't want to participate are free not to. Alas I'm not, so that's that.

Jul 7, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #83 of 89
Quote:

...posting eBay auctions on here has a tendency of really driving up prices to really high levels.

Auction prices go up according to demand and desire. Period. I'd rather point out a long wanted item to a fellow audiophile than not and let items be unappreciated and lost.

Quote:

...Posting active eBay auctions hurts potential buyers, but definitely helps sellers. You have to ask yourself then, are most head-fiers eBay sellers or eBay buyers?

I am sure there are a few, but posting does not hurt, it helps. Think about it.

Quote:

...Do understand that there are a fair amount of "joke bids" that people just place for the hell of it with these types of auctions.

Joke bids are not allowed by eBay. Placing non-serious bids will get you thrown out of eBay and can lead to legal action. Careful how you play.

Quote:

...It takes just a few minutes to run some searches on eBay... There are 1,440 minutes in a day. Yes, people are busy with school, jobs, family, etc. but are you telling me that you guys can't spend just a few minutes of the day running some searches?

People with family, children, a home, career, ill or challenged family or friends, etc., know those take precedence. It's impossible to find the time for necessities let alone simpler pleasures.

I vote to allow ebay posts as long as they don't overwhelm and so far that has not happened imo.

Jul 7, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #85 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Auction prices go up according to demand and desire. Period. I'd rather point out a long wanted item to a fellow audiophile than not and let items be unappreciated and lost.

Impeccable logic here! This 100% completely refutes my statement that posting active eBay auctions here drives prices up! Think about it.

Quote:

I am sure there are a few, but posting does not hurt, it helps. Think about it.

It helps the seller, it hurts potential buyers, unless these buyers enjoy more competition and paying more for what they're after. Think about it.

Quote:

Joke bids are not allowed by eBay. Placing non-serious bids will get you thrown out of eBay and can lead to legal action. Careful how you play.

Your point? People do stuff that's not allowed all the time. Just because it's not allowed doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. There's so much shill bidding, joke bidding, scamming, etc. that goes on eBay that goes unnoticed.

Quote:

People with family, children, a home, career, ill or challenged family or friends, etc., know those take precedence. It's impossible to find the time for necessities let alone simpler pleasures.

Then stop wasting time on Head-Fi when you could use your time more wisely with "family, children, a home, career, ill or challenged family or friends, etc." My point is that people obviously spend some of that time on Head-Fi, and this time could be spent (just a couple minutes...) doing some searches on eBay for items that they are interested in. If they're wasting time away from "family, children, a home, career, ill or challenged family or friends, etc.," by surfing Head-Fi, then they can waste time away from "family, children, a home, career, ill or challenged family or friends, etc.," by searching eBay.

Jul 7, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #87 of 89
I do roll my eyes every time I see an eBay auction posted here. They're redundant, and a waste of space and bandwidth.

However, I'm not really for anything being banned unless it's blatantly hurting the community in some way. Fitz, for instance, should be banned for suddenly bringing attention to all the older AKG models. It's impossible to score them for a good price now, and that's really unfair.

wink.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #88 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex944 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do roll my eyes every time I see an eBay auction posted here. They're redundant, and a waste of space and bandwidth.

However, I'm not really for anything being banned unless it's blatantly hurting the community in some way. Fitz, for instance, should be banned for suddenly bringing attention to all the older AKG models. It's impossible to score them for a good price now, and that's really unfair.

wink.gif

You'd be banned as an accessory too, Ben! I have used some of the photos on your website to help isolate the part differences in certain phones. If you didn't put it up, it would've taken longer for me to bring attention to the older AKGs.
eek.gif

p.s. You still don't have a separate listing for the non-studio K270 known as the K270 Playback, even though you have a picture of it under the K270S!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back