Petition: I would like the old site back (or other choice)
May 14, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #226 of 431

I wouldn't necessarily say network efficiency is a bug. The entire page tool only a couple of seconds to load on my PC using Firefox.

Quote:
One of the biggest bugs of Huddler yet: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/371737/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xiii/5415#post_6640605

The embedded 7 megapixel image is only scaled down for display, but not resized. Took half a minute to load.

May 14, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #227 of 431

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily say network efficiency is a bug. The entire page tool only a couple of seconds to load on my PC using Firefox.

Only took a few seconds to load the page on my laptop.

USG

Edit to say that the subscriptions are working and things are cleaning up nicely.  No reason to go back to the old forum anymore.  This is going to be fine....

May 14, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #229 of 431
Quote:
One of the biggest bugs of Huddler yet: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/371737/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xiii/5415#post_6640605

The embedded 7 megapixel image is only scaled down for display, but not resized. Took half a minute to load.

That's a problem.

May 14, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #230 of 431
Thanks to whoever it was that suggested the Bolt browser for Blackberry use - the new head-fi works perfectly from the Bolt browser on the BB.

May 14, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #231 of 431
I find that I'm not as engaged in the various threads I am subscribed to without the daily e-mail updates. I hope they come back, because as good as the "Recent Head-Fi.org Activity" section is, I don't see that changing.

May 14, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #232 of 431
I'm so surprised there is not a link to "buy it now!" when you view gear in the Head Gear section. I think linking to online vendors or Amazon items would be a great way for Head-Fi to make money. Perhaps the button takes you to the vendor that gives Head-Fi the most dollars per click? Think about it Jude...

May 15, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #234 of 431

Quote:
it definitely feels slower than the old site. and the more narrow forum part detracts. but i'm sure i'll get use to it.

I've been measuring load times, and both measured and perceived times for me are quite a bit faster than the old site.  One place where this is most evident is in the submission of a post.

May 15, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #235 of 431

Quote:
is there a new place to access the ignore feature?

I was wondering too since my ignore list was gone... you have to click on the person's nick, you can ignore them with a link on their user profile. Absurd way of handling this, but it works. I didn't find a centralized ignore list though, one where you see every ignored user at a glance.

May 15, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #236 of 431
The new layout is faster than the vbulletin on my laptop and desktop especially when submitting a new post like Jude said.On any portable device like iPod...it is dumb except on Bolt browser on my BB curve 8900 which is very fast.

May 15, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #237 of 431

Quote:
I've been measuring load times, and both measured and perceived times for me are quite a bit faster than the old site.  One place where this is most evident is in the submission of a post.

Too bad you can't say that for all computers...

Website is almost impossible to navigate on my main PC.  
20x longer to load a single page, and that scales linearly for every additional page.  (200x longer if i try to open 10 pages) 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/490984/petition-i-would-like-the-old-site-back-or-other-choice/180#post_6635599

edit: and this isn't a terribly old computer... 3.4ghz c2d, 4gb ram, win7x64 which I keep clean as a whistle.  

May 15, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #238 of 431

Quote:

Quote:
Only took a few seconds to load the page on my laptop.

Think of people accessing the site from their cellphones or other mobile internet means. Helping noobs being lazy by allowing them to upload huge unedited pics straight from their digicams (and not resizing them in-site) is probably not the best application for clogging the inter-tubes. It's kind of bad practice.

May 15, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #239 of 431
May 15, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #240 of 431
VBulletin 4 image plug-ins don't re-size photos either IIRC, just scale them down on the page using javascript, FYI, so this is no worse. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back