Petition: Bring Back the HE Audio Jades
Nov 4, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #46 of 158
Jades, HiFiMan, HE Audio or not, it's really the subtle sentiment behind this "petition" that matters. It wouldn't bad a thing for anyone (Sennheiser, HiFiMan, Audeze, Koss, etc.) to know that people do want more 'stats than just those made by STAX. I'm not a huge fan of the tonal balance of the $5000 009 myself. STAX doesn't make the 007mk1 anymore. The STAX customer service quality and repair costs are horrendous to anyone outside of Japan. The more 'stat headphone choices, the better.

The reason this specific topic is directed toward HiFiMan is that I heard rumors they were working on a new 'stat of better build quality, and that Fang is highly involved in the HF community. He's certainly taken his punches and responded well to people's concerns. I could have petitioned that STAX bring the mk1 back, but honestly, I don't think STAX gives a rat's ass.

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #47 of 158
Supposedly HIfiman tuned there version 1.3b to the sound similar to the HE90's, which is why some that own both claim that the Audio Jades sound about 80% of the HE90's sound for the fraction of the price.

Sadly the last one I saw on sale was at around $800 by neilvg

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #48 of 158
Quote:
Supposedly HIfiman tuned there version 1.3b to the sound similar to the HE90's, which is why some that own both claim that the Audio Jades sound about 80% of the HE90's sound for the fraction of the price.

Sadly the last one I saw on sale was at around $800 by neilvg

Not to be a stickler, but it was HeAUDIO and not HiFiMan who did the tuning. Also I'm pretty sure all versions (1.2 --> 1.3 --> 1.2B --> Jade) sound pretty much the same. This is what happened AFAIK:

The 1.2 was demoed at Canjam, and people commented on how much it looked like the HE90. In response, Mr. He redesigned it and released it as the 1.3 with some funky looking blonde wood accents and different inset hinges. This is probably the rarest version of the three commercial iterations (the original 1.2 was more a prototype I think, though I know one or two head-fiers who own one).

There were some serious QC issues with the 1.3 however, so Head-Direct offered an exchange program and people could send in their 1.3 to be replaced with the 1.2B which supposedly had better reliability. The design, for what ever reason, returned to that of the original 1.2 and looked more like the HE90.

Finally, HeAUDIO made the last version, the Jade, which is the most polished aesthetically of the models. Similar to the 1.2 / 1.2B but with minor tweaks here and there.

After Neil sold his 1.2B, there was another 1.2B offered as well as a Jade. Both sold within a day or two of their listing. I then put up a WTB ad for the 1.2B or 1.3 and was contacted by another seller who sold me his 1.2B. I already own the Jade, but wanted a backup pair. Both have crackling stators unfortunately. QC is not their strong point, sadly. However both sound quite lovely to my ears.

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #49 of 158
I'm pretty sure any headphone not made by Stax sucks according to Spritzer. Nothing wrong with that, it's just one person's opinion.

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #50 of 158
Quote:
 STAX mafia

Haha, classic!
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #53 of 158
Quote:

Not to be a stickler, but it was HeAUDIO and not HiFiMan who did the tuning. Also I'm pretty sure all versions (1.2 --> 1.3 --> 1.2B --> Jade) sound pretty much the same. This is what happened AFAIK:

The 1.2 was demoed at Canjam, and people commented on how much it looked like the HE90. In response, Mr. He redesigned it and released it as the 1.3 with some funky looking blonde wood accents and different inset hinges. This is probably the rarest version of the three commercial iterations (the original 1.2 was more a prototype I think, though I know one or two head-fiers who own one).

There were some serious QC issues with the 1.3 however, so Head-Direct offered an exchange program and people could send in their 1.3 to be replaced with the 1.2B which supposedly had better reliability. The design, for what ever reason, returned to that of the original 1.2 and looked more like the HE90.

Finally, HeAUDIO made the last version, the Jade, which is the most polished aesthetically of the models. Similar to the 1.2 / 1.2B but with minor tweaks here and there.

After Neil sold his 1.2B, there was another 1.2B offered as well as a Jade. Both sold within a day or two of their listing. I then put up a WTB ad for the 1.2B or 1.3 and was contacted by another seller who sold me his 1.2B. I already own the Jade, but wanted a backup pair. Both have crackling stators unfortunately. QC is not their strong point, sadly. However both sound quite lovely to my ears.

Yep HeAudio and 1.2b was it was in a rush to get my post out. In the original HeAudio Jade thread (from 2010 I think it was), think it was one of the contributors that posted their impressions (and owned all 3 versions from the initial release of their 1.2 prototype), that 1.2b sounded a lot more closer to HE90 then the earlier prototypes and 1.3. Yeah unfortunately QC was horrible with the Jades across the board, problems with the wooden enclosure and the headband separating from the sides as well as stator problems, imbalance and static (or crackling as what you've stated). It's still one electrostat I would want to buy one for myself and as purrin stated one that benefits to various mods performed. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #55 of 158
Monopoly benefits no-one, except STAX.

A bang-for-the-buck Stat would really open up a "new" market I think.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #56 of 158
^ FWIW from the whole acquisition ordeal, Really can't say Stax sees much profit, despite it's unwitting monoploly status.

Nevertheless, and i usually hate this saying but in this case i'll make an excpetion: The more the merrier! Signed.

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #58 of 158
Count me in!
k701smile.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back