Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins, who was the better lead for Genesis and had the best solo career?
Jan 29, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanafuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Su-su-sudio!

lol.

I still have the 45 Single for that song. Haha

Jan 30, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #32 of 42
I think Genesis initially coped quite well after Gabriel left. OK, Collins wasn't as interesting a vocalist, but the music was pretty close to what the existing fans wanted. It was a different story when Hackett left (I saw him perform late last year, the set included a fabulous performance of Firth of Fifth). And then there were three was just about tolerable, but Duke, Abacab and the rest were dire. That's when Genesis turned into Collins' backing band, with all the blandness that went with it. But ironically it's when they had the real commercial success. Before his solo career took off, Phil Collins was also involved in a band called Brand X, which produced some interesting music.

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #34 of 42
hmmmm... Phil Collins gets dished on. but, i'm going to go against the norm and say he was the better singer. Some of you folks here can probably only count Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance as the Genesis albums you've heard with Phil at the helm. And using those as your basis, Phil loses out.

But, I'd like to add that Duke, Abacab, and Trick of the Tail are fabulous.
I'd put those up against Lamb, Selling England, etc. any day.

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #35 of 42
For me, Selling England and Lamb represent the pinnacle of Genesis' brilliance. Because of that, I chose Gabriel as the better singer. I have to say that Genesis under Collins, from Trick to Abacab, gets unfairly ripped. Me & Sarah Jane is just as pleasant to my ears as The Cinema Show. With the possible exception of the mildly entertaining Domino from Invisible Touch, just about everything after Abacab is pure pop drivel, as is the entirety of Collins' solo career.

Jan 30, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #36 of 42
I prefer Peter Gabriel to Phil Collins myself, but never considered PC or Genesis with him as Pop. I still liked Genesis after PG left. I can almost feel the spit, when I read the word Pop in this thread, lol. (Admittedly, I do like some Pop, in fact I wish I could have seen the Elton John/Billy Joel concert. But I consider them musicians as opposed to artists, and I don’t feel that I like Pop in general.) So I looked up the list of the Greatest Pop Artists of the Last 25 Years, and lo and behold, I have at least one album from 11 of the top 20. I go away in shame. Please don’t stone me.

1 Madonna
2 Janet Jackson
3 Mariah Carey
4 Whitney Houston
5 Prince
6 Michael Jackson
7 Elton John
8 Daryl Hall & John Oates
9 Billy Joel

10 Celine Dion
11 Boyz II Men
12 John Mellencamp
13 Bryan Adams
14 Phil Collins
15 Rod Stewart
16 U2

17 TLC
18 Aerosmith
19 Gloria Estefan
20 Lionel Richie

Jan 30, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #37 of 42
Peter Gabriel is the better song writer although Collins had a better pop career. I must say that pop isnt a bad thing , In the air tonight hardly had a radio friendly shine to it.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #39 of 42
I can't say which Genesis era is better... they're just different. That said, it's true Phil Collins gets a lot of flack; I think mainly because he does has this pop reputation, and it's easy to throw jabs at him... even South Park did it.

I'd say Peter Gabriel is a very visual and visionary musician. Phil Collins is definitely a more accessible musician. PC era Genesis is arguably more accessible (pop-ish?), but to his credit, there were definitely some prog-ish moments (maybe more Tony Banks than Phil Collins but whatever). "Home By the Sea," "Domino," and "Driving the Last Spike" are great songs, whether they're considered prog or not.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Collins = pop artist. Those trying to argue that he's better than Gabriel are really [size=medium]"clutching at straws"[/size].

That was a great Marillion Album!

Collins' drumming for PG era Genesis & Brand X was insane, but when Genesis did the Trick Of The Tail tour, with Bruford sitting in at the kit, WOW!!

Gabriel is unquestionably the more accomplished overall musician, songwriter, arranger, composer, producer, engineer, talent scout, etc, etc, etc.
He admitted himself that he never felt comfortable with his vocals, and on the Lamb, had Eno produce his "sound".

Still, Gabriel WAS Genesis, for me.

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #41 of 42
I can't really put my finger on any PG work except games without frontiers since he left Genesis. I'd also say as a singer, his voice is not up to PC.

PC gets a lot of bashing but some highlights:

Live aid, including the simply superb against all odds (dropped note included)

Mama
Take me home
easy lover
in the air tonight

Plus
but seriously.
His an outstanding musician.

i can't see how he can be any less than PG TBH

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #42 of 42
Don't have much use for Genesis, no matter who was singing. But I think Gabriel and Collins have long since proven that they're both pretty great singers. Phil's the more accessible of the two, but the uniqueness of Peter's voice (that otherworldly holler thing he can do) probably makes him seem to have more emotional range. I say "seem to" because I don't think I've heard Gabriel put across humor the way Collins has on occasion. Maybe he's chosen not to, but still…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back