Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins, who was the better lead for Genesis and had the best solo career?
Jan 28, 2010 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Takahashi

100+ Head-Fier
I'm curious to see what the general opinion is here? I have been talking about this amongst friends and family.
dt880smile.png

I'm for team Gabriel.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 42
Gabriel.

Why not make it a poll?

Peter Gabriel
Phil Collins
Too difficult to choose - both were great
Too difficult to choose - both sucked

Edit: Sorry about that. I responded before the poll was up.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 42
I added a poll, but you posted while I was working on it.

Gabriel is much more creative, I feel like Collins' stuff sounds the same, and for the most part he seems kind of arrogant.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 42
I expect Choice A will win this poll by at least an 80% margin...........

With Gabriel Genesis was amongst the most interesting bands in the world.
Conversely, with Collins as leader, Genesis declined into eventually becoming Pop Music Wallpaper more in touch with Rick Springfield (Jessie's Girl) than their earlier brilliant works.

And anyone who thinks Collins had a more interesting solo career has either been reading too much Billboard or watching too much Disney:)

I think Collins is the greatest drummer Genesis could have ever hoped for, and the first 2 studio albums he took on as leader are very very good.............but he didn't have Gabriel's personality or lyrical appeal, vocally they are quite similar and it's a toss-up whose voice is better, I think it's possible Collins has the more virtuosic voice, but neither of them scream virtuoso. Gabriel was the voice of Genesis when they were at their creative peak and for that reason he IS the better front man............

no questions asked.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I expect Choice A will win this poll by at least an 80% margin...........

With Gabriel Genesis was amongst the most interesting bands in the world.
Conversely, with Collins as leader, Genesis declined into eventually becoming Pop Music Wallpaper more in touch with Rick Springfield (Jessie's Girl) than their earlier brilliant works.

And anyone who thinks Collins had a more interesting solo career has either been reading too much Billboard or watching too much Disney:)

I think Collins is the greatest drummer Genesis could have ever hoped for, and the first 2 studio albums he took on as leader are very very good.............but he didn't have Gabriel's personality or lyrical appeal, vocally they are quite similar and it's a toss-up whose voice is better, I think it's possible Collins has the more virtuosic voice, but neither of them scream virtuoso. Gabriel was the voice of Genesis when they were at their creative peak and for that reason he IS the better front man............

no questions asked.

I couldn't say it better, you hit it right on the nail. The first couple of Genesis albums are awesome (if fact I think I'm going to listen to From Genesis to Revelation on vinyl now
darthsmile.gif
)
Collins is the better singer, and he is a good drummer, you cannot deny it. But he is just another pop artist.

--

I really want to see someone with a good argument for Collins. It'll be interesting to hear some other opinions!
tongue_smile.gif
We won't bite!

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 42
In the end it has to be Gabriel (not for his solo career). For the inspired heights that he took Genesis as a frontman. For his very subtle and extremely personal singing. (Time to listen to The Lamb again.)

That said, Phil simply had the bigger and better voice and I do love to hear him sing the Gabriel repertoire (on Seconds Out and various bootlegs). His version of Supper's Ready is wonderfully over the top. He also gives some of his best vocal contributions to the (IMO underestimated) albums A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering. It's actually only after Steve Hackett left that Genesis really becomes uninteresting to me.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why the dig at Rick Springfield? "Jessie's Girl" was a great pop single.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why the dig at Rick Springfield? "Jessie's Girl" was a great pop single.

Sure it was...................

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He also gives some of his best vocal contributions to the (IMO underestimated) albums A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering.

I love A Trick of the Tail, it wouldn't be the same with Gabriel for sure.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 42
Peter Gabriel for me as I prefer prog to pop. Phil Collins is a brilliant drummer and front man. I saw Genesis on the Invisible Touch tour and Collins had a stadium in the palm of his hand. He was very funny and it is sad he is apparently no longer able to drum due to ill health. But for me, when he gets involved then the music turns to bland pop. He did it with Genesis and albums he appeared on and produced for Eric Clapton and Mike Oldfield.

Peter Gabriel, who I have seen three times is a master of prog music. His solo output, whilst not traditional prog, has retained the imagination, variation and musicianship that are key elements of prog rock. I have all of his output, but none of Phil Collins.

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #13 of 42
Duke was a great album after that it went down hill (poppy). Collins was excellent on that. I have not heard any Genesis albums with Gabriel but his solo works on So & US as well as his live performances is in another league, amazing!

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He did it with Genesis and albums he appeared on and produced for Eric Clapton and Mike Oldfield.

I have a DVD Live from Montreux where he drums for Clapton. Pretty impressive stuff, he even sings "in the air tonight" with Clapton, while drumming.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Collins = pop artist. Those trying to argue that he's better than Gabriel are really clutching at straws.

He's not only a 'pop artist' but--more to the point--he's a profoundly boring one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back