Personal CD Players through the ages ~ A Review [Updated 10/05/2003]
Jul 1, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #226 of 292
Peter...

You're correct, I did win the auction on the D111... I should (fingers crossed) get that by the end of next week
biggrin.gif
(Kudos goes to you for giving me the link to the auction
wink.gif
)

...oh, and before anyone says anything (hehe) the D211 addition WILL be coming soon, just haven't had too much time of late for a meaningful listening session
smily_headphones1.gif

Duncan

Jul 2, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #228 of 292
Duncan - Great job on the reviews! Its great that it is a constantly expanding monster!
biggrin.gif

My 2 cents: It would be great to see how the highly regarded Panasonics (SL-SX500, SL-CT570 for example) stack up to the Sonys. I 'm pretty sure they would not be up to the level of the best of the Sony's, but I'll bet they would not be too far (if at all) behind the "middle" quality ones. Considering that they can be had for not too much $, it would be interesting to see where they fit in.

Also, it would be useful to see a comparison of sound quality with bass boost/megabass ON (level 1 if there are multiple levels), since many use these players this way, especially in a noisy environment like walking around a city street. It would be great to see which players have a useful boost to the lower frequencies, which boost higher frequencies as well, and which destroy the sound altogether. A note about sound quality with ESP engaged would be useful as well!

cool.gif

Jul 3, 2003 at 9:16 AM Post #229 of 292
This is what the oldschool Sony MegaBass (D-33 in this case, but they all seem to be pretty similar) looks like (ignore the noisy curves, would have had to measure longer for that to smooth out):
d33_megabass.gif

Jul 3, 2003 at 2:51 PM Post #230 of 292
Thanks. Is the yellow line the player without megabass (with the red and blue indicating left and right), or a flat reference (with the red being w/out megabass and the blue with it on)?

Do you know up through which player the original "mega-bass" is used? (D-777? - or is that a newer version?)

Jul 3, 2003 at 3:05 PM Post #231 of 292
Quote:

Originally posted by tmann
Thanks. Is the yellow line the player without megabass (with the red and blue indicating left and right), or a flat reference (with the red being w/out megabass and the blue with it on)?

Do you know up through which player the original "mega-bass" is used? (D-777? - or is that a newer version?)

Yellow is off ("Norm"), red is level 1 ("Mid"), blue is level 2 ("Max").
This is still the analog bass boost, I think the D-777 does it already in the digital domain. No idea how it looks like, though.

Edit:
according to Duncan's review the D-151 from '93 already had digital MegaBass.

Jul 3, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #232 of 292
Peter,

Yes... that is correct, the D151 does have 'Digital' Megabass (processed 'on DAC') whereas, the D777 still has the 'analog' megabass... The E905 has the digital version though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #233 of 292
Double Post

Jul 3, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #234 of 292
tmann...

PeterR explained the graph just above my post... but seeing that your post just now is identical to the one four hours ago... is this an extra long timed double post?

Duncan

Jul 3, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #235 of 292
Yes. Have no idea how that happened!

How does the digital megabass compare with analog? Did they bloat the middle bass on the newer digital version to keep up with other players' "advancements", or maybe it boosts the same freqs. the same amount, but cleaner?

Jul 5, 2003 at 6:00 AM Post #237 of 292
Hiya Durian, welcome to head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Discmen with model numbers CR are 'Car Ready' (should be written in red on the top of the player in itallics?)... so i'm pretty certain that a D147CR would be a D141 but with the car mounting plate / cigarrette lighter adapter & cassette adapter...

Jul 7, 2003 at 12:36 AM Post #238 of 292
hi, Duncan!

thanks for responding as well as the welcome. sorry for the late acknowledgment.

nope, my unit doesn't say it's car ready on the lid. neither does it have a car connection kit with it. my player, however came with wireless remote (card-type).

got this unit as a replacement for my technics sl-xp300 that died recently after about a decade of service. any idea how good (or bad) the sl-xp300 is?

thanks.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #239 of 292
Durian...

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with Technics CD players, so I can't help... I don't know if anyone else can????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back