Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Nov 29, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #422 of 1,454
20171129_130547_resized.jpg
I plan to plug them into a computer.. is a computer's default sound card better than my cell phone (computer is basic sound card, Intel HD Audio) vs Iphone 7 Plus; How does your amp compare to the Fiio A5? That supposedly has > 800 mW (32 Ohms, THD < 1 %) (from their spec sheet); I heard people plugging into A3 or less, and stating not enough power? I was recommended the A5 by others on the forum. Thank you.

I will wait on the amp and listen, like you said. Thank you again for taking the time to answer my "easy" question.

I've gone through a number of desktop amps over the years, and I've found that the JDS Labs O2 amp and DAC pair beautifully with the BE's. I run USB out of my computer into the DAC, RCA stereo cables from the DAC to the amp, and then plug the BE's right into the amp.

https://www.jdslabs.com/store/#featured

Nov 29, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #423 of 1,454
You'll just have to compare the sound card to a phone output. Both can vary drastically.
AMEN to this! My laptop (Lenovo P71) has an amazing headphone output. The output impedance measures around 1 Ohm, and can easily reach 2.5Vrms. My current cell phone, a Samsung Note 5, doesn't do as well (4.5 Ohms output impedance and 1.3Vrms). On my IEMs, both sound pretty good; I can't hear a difference with an amp on the Lenovo, but there is a small difference on my cell phone. Now, with a quality cellphone like the LG V20 or V30 - I can't hear a difference with an amp (other than the potential for even higher SPL levels).

Note that our IEMs are really pretty efficient. They do 100 dB SPL @ 1mw (which, for a 32 Ohm load like our units, is 175mV). I can reach levels of 116-117 dB SPL off my cell phone - WAY too loud for regular listening! My laptop goes even louder, pushing 120 dB SPL. WAY beyond what I need...

So, why do we offer an amp? Well - some people have phones (or PMPs) that really suck...:) And others have headphones which have really low sensitivity, low impedance - or both.

Nov 29, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #425 of 1,454
sorry, another question.. if I buy BE from Amazon, would I still get the 5 year warranty? Thanks. If not, I'll just get the Blemished from the website at $199;
Yep! World Wide Stereo is one of our authorized dealers.

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #426 of 1,454
Sorry, I'm a newbie at this.. I just bought the "Be" earbuds and also looking for an amp.. people were recommending the Fiio A5.. If I buy that from Amazon, what other cables would i need? I think a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable linking amp to source? The headphones 3.5mm should connect directly the amp. Is that right? Thank you;

I'll give you my take as well, as a Be + Mg owner who normally uses an amp for pretty much everything.

Of the earphones I own, Be and Mg are my favorites from a phone with no added amp. Sound quality is excellent, and they are quite clear and not at all muddy sounding. Other supposedly easy-to-drive/no-amp-required earphones I have are much less satisfactory, to my ears/tastes. (This is from a ~3 years old iPhone; your phone may vary.)

Direct from a computer would depend on the computer of course, but I'd expect the odds of a good experience to be pretty good.

With an amp I get improved dynamics — mainly evident in how much "slam" there is in tracks that have slam to begin with — and a bit more transparency and air all around. But overall, I think they're really really good without your needing an amp from the very start.

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #427 of 1,454
I notice a slight hiss out of my laptop (Alienware 13 from 2015) with the Be; not really noticeable except in quiet rooms, so I uses an LH Labs Geek Out 2 Pro Infinity or a just connect it to my Schiit Jotunheim if I'm at home.

The Be sounds pretty good out of my pixel XL headphone jack and gets really loud, I don't have a need for an amp with the cellphone (until I have to get a new phone where they've removed the 3.5 mm jack, ugh).

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #428 of 1,454
Thanks very much for your answers.. so I guess there's even no need to get things like a DAC (Dragonfly red, just doing some research); I guess I'm looking for clarity first, and soundstage second? Hopefully this has a good soundstage (maybe even compared to the full headphones); Ha, that's the problem.. I have the Iphone 7 Plus from last year and they removed the 3.5mm already;

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #429 of 1,454
You can just try them without an amp/DAC first and if there is noise in the signal, consider buying the electronics. They are very easy to drive and they have a pretty flat impedance curve so even high impedance headphone jacks shouldn't affect the sound that much. I feel like the soundstage on the Periodic Be is pretty good for an IEM and the clarity is outstanding. I'm really appreciating mine more and more over time. They hold up very well against some very expensive gear. This isn't audio jewelry like so much personal audio stuff - it's just awesome sound. Their only fault might be that they're too simple and people want this hobby to have a bunch of shiny metal boxes, glossy cables, and plush corinthian leather. Personally I just want the sound; the more simply I can get there, the better, and the Be does that so well.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #430 of 1,454
Thanks very much for your answers.. so I guess there's even no need to get things like a DAC (Dragonfly red, just doing some research); I guess I'm looking for clarity first, and soundstage second? Hopefully this has a good soundstage (maybe even compared to the full headphones); Ha, that's the problem.. I have the Iphone 7 Plus from last year and they removed the 3.5mm already;

OK, I'm trying my Be on Apple's $9 Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter.

It sounds great. I'm not kidding, you can start with that, and I think you'll be impressed.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #431 of 1,454
Nov 30, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #432 of 1,454
Got an assortment of tips for my Be in today. I tried some spinfits and JVC spiral dots. After some experimenting I think that I probably like the large silicon tips that are included by periodic the best in terms of pure sound quality. However, they do not fit securely in my ear at all, just tilting my head can cause them to fall out. Also, I get the driver flex sound pretty easily with those tips, I barely have to press on them to get driver flex, even though they don't insert very far at all. None of the other tips have any driver flex.

I tried the medium silicons from periodic but something weird happened to the midrange, upper mids got shouty, lower mids were punishingly harsh, and the sub-bass dropped off. The same thing happened with the double flange silicon. Spiral dots just sounded too thin and bass-light. Fit security was good on all of these though. I tried some comply foams just to reconfirm my earlier impressions, and while comfortable with good isolation, the treble roll-off is too much, and the bass gets muddy.

Finally I tried the medium JVC spiral dots. These sound 95%, if not 100% as good as the stock large single flange silicons, significantly better than all the others, and fit security is pretty solid. The one downside to them is they can get a little uncomfortable after a few hours, but I have ordered a slightly smaller size to see if it helps. Soundwise I feel like they bring the midrange out up a little more than the Periodic Larges, but without getting shouty or harsh like the smaller periodic, double flange, or spinfit.

Hope this helps, I'm still waiting for the symbio hybrids to try. These little Be's make me want to sell all my other headphone crap and I might do it.

Dec 1, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #433 of 1,454
I just got the earbuds today! Wow! The sound quality is excellent.. tried it with different sources and it is all very clear.. no distortion with any song or movie.. However, the bass is really low.. is there a way to improve upon that, or is that the best there is in earbuds? It doesn't sound even close to headphones.. maybe I do need an amp for DAC because I'm hearing it from the computer (Conexant SmartAudio); Would buying one make the sound better? Thanks.

Dec 1, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #434 of 1,454
I just got the earbuds today! Wow! The sound quality is excellent.. tried it with different sources and it is all very clear.. no distortion with any song or movie.. However, the bass is really low.. is there a way to improve upon that, or is that the best there is in earbuds? It doesn't sound even close to headphones.. maybe I do need an amp for DAC because I'm hearing it from the computer (Conexant SmartAudio); Would buying one make the sound better? Thanks.

Bass response is going to be tip dependent. Which tips are you using? Try the large single flange silicons if you haven't yet. My Be's have more bass than any of my full sized headphones, including some that are supposed to be "bassy" like the Sony MDR-7506. However, some tips, like small silicons or spinfit silicons don't give me that much bass and foam tips with the Be give me muddy bass. Larger silicon or jvs spiral dots are wonderful.

Dec 1, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #435 of 1,454
Bass response is going to be tip dependent. Which tips are you using? Try the large single flange silicons if you haven't yet. My Be's have more bass than any of my full sized headphones, including some that are supposed to be "bassy" like the Sony MDR-7506. However, some tips, like small silicons or spinfit silicons don't give me that much bass and foam tips with the Be give me muddy bass. Larger silicon or jvs spiral dots are wonderful.

Agreed. I'd start exploring tips and getting the best possible seal from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back