Perfect headphone for up to $1,400 budget?
Apr 28, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
Is there a headphone that I should listen to? I am looking for detailed, musical headphones which have a good emphasis on vocals but not fatiguing.

Detailed, with emphasis on vocals (midrange), and non fatiguing?
Sounds like ATH-W5000, I don't think modding T1 can bring them even remotely close but it might make them listenable (waiting for ordered felt to prove that).
W5000 are about on par with HD800 but not as analytical and have quite colored (some call it sweet, some honky) midrange, T1 is ... well I should look way down to see where it is comparing to these two, there is something Ultrasonish with the way they sound.

HD650 is good too, but not as detailed as others but sweet nonetheless and have more universally accepted as *right* timbre, they are on a dark side though, more in line with LCD-2, in fact sound remarkably like one.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #17 of 29
Beyer T1 - great balanced sound but treble can get fatiguing after long listening

Is there a headphone that I should listen to? I am looking for detailed, musical headphones which have a good emphasis on vocals but not fatiguing. Or is the case of modding the T1? Just scared of opening up such expensive headphones. Any advice would really be appreciated.

What is your hearing like? I am going to be - next year about - looking at something this range and I know that my hearing cuts out beginning at about 13.5k and is gone by 14.0k due to being middle aged. If you are bothered by a fatiguing treble that I won't hear, T1's seem like a good choice.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #19 of 29
Go read the Fostex TH900 thread....................

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #21 of 29
Thank you again for all your help. A forum member is kindly trying to organise a visit for me and he has a very large collection of headphones including the Stax and the HD650.

Quote:
What is your hearing like? I am going to be - next year about - looking at something this range and I know that my hearing cuts out beginning at about 13.5k and is gone by 14.0k due to being middle aged. If you are bothered by a fatiguing treble that I won't hear, T1's seem like a good choice.

I am not sure where my hearing cuts out but I thing my hearing is pretty good. The T1s are great for shorter listening periods at high volume or longer periods at lower volume.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:
Formula1, does the LCD3 have more forward vocals than the LCD2? Are the vocals more lifelike than the LCD2?

Of course. 
Listening to jazz and other female fronted bands, they always had a solid presence with the LCD3 along with imaging and instrument separation. 

Again, a bit expensive for you. Only if you have a tempting offer 
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #23 of 29
Formula1, does the LCD3 have more forward vocals than the LCD2? Are the vocals more lifelike than the LCD2?

Of course. 
Listening to jazz and other female fronted bands, they always had a solid presence with the LCD3 along with imaging and instrument separation. 

wink.gif

What do the LCD3's need for a good amp source? A good headfi amp or something in the 5w to 10w range?

Apr 30, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:
What do the LCD3's need for a good amp source? A good headfi amp or something in the 5w to 10w range?

Audeze recommends anything over 1w (which is the minimum) 
Not a beast to drive like the HE-5 or HE-6. 

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #25 of 29
Apr 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:
From pricejapan.com they are just a bit more from what I was told yesterday. 

Though, the brand new TH600 might be something to audition, and well within budget...

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Though, the brand new TH600 might be something to audition, and well within budget...

No doubt.  That sounds more 'reasonable' if a $1K phone can be considered reasonable with a straight face. 

I'm considering a future high end buy - debating between TH600, Ultrasone Sig DJ and ?  (to be determined).  The TH900, even at $1450ish seems a bit much but I've been known to change my mind before. 

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Of course. 

wink.gif

I wanted to see if I could sell my T1s and buy one set of cans (used)  to give me the sound I am looking for. I can always save up and buy an extra set of headphones or more expensive cans but would really like to hear them first. I have the LCD2 which I bought to try and now am struggling to sell. Not sure where I can hear the LCD3 headphones in Toronto.

May 1, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #29 of 29
I wanted to see if I could sell my T1s and buy one set of cans (used)  to give me the sound I am looking for. I can always save up and buy an extra set of headphones or more expensive cans but would really like to hear them first. I have the LCD2 which I bought to try and now am struggling to sell. Not sure where I can hear the LCD3 headphones in Toronto.

Look at it this way. You can take solace in the fact that there is not much higher to go and your budget won't exceed $2,500...

Well, unless you wish to find an Orpheus...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back