People who have upgraded from an 0404 USB - to what, and why?
Dec 26, 2008 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ph0rk

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been contemplating replacing my 0404 usb for a while now, but I really haven't seen many direct comparisons between the 0404 and potential upgrade DACs.

I know many have moved on from the 0404 - why? What did you move to? What were the sonic differences?

Dec 26, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 14
Moved to CEC DA53 - had already x-cans modded as an amp and not much use of the 0404 USB headphone amp. Wanted more organic and better balanced sound. To me it was worth it. Really liked EMu but initially had problems with cracking sound via ASIO/KS. Have tried all of them and on my Toshiba p200 sound was cracking all the time. Tried with DAC latest ASIO4All - no problems.
EMU is nice but headphone amp section is not great. Better to have separate devices. Also I like CEC sound better.

Dec 26, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 14
i got the behringer src2496 to replace my broken modded emu 0404 usb. no problems with the emu but it broke all of a sudden. the src2496 has MUCH better resolution and tonality.

Dec 26, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 14
moved to a Apogee Duet, in combination with a macMini for use as mediacenter because I needed a comfortable corner in my room that was not also my workspace. 0404usb was pretty good too if a little harsh, but is now used only for my PC. Duet is more detailed and more musical, and much better looking, but needs a mac.

Dec 27, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 14
People upgrade form EMU0404USB for the obvious reason - it's not the be-all, end-all of audio
wink.gif

To what, lots of choices, LOTS. Even at same price there are lots of better options, but most are not USB.

Dec 27, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People upgrade form EMU0404USB for the obvious reason - it's not the be-all, end-all of audio
wink.gif

To what, lots of choices, LOTS. Even at same price there are lots of better options, but most are not USB.

I'm sure there are plenty of choices, but I'd like to see some direct comparisons to avoid buying blind. If someone likes something because it is more detailed than the 0404 for example, it probably won't be for me.

If someone replaced an 0404 with some other dac, I'm curious to know how the new dac sounds different. The interface isn't important (usb, firewire, spdif). I'd like to know what people that have actually heard both pieces have to say.

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 14
Right now I happen to have an 0404 and an Apogee Mini-Dac that I've been testing. My ears cannot tell a difference between either using the HP outs and my TF10s yet, but I'll be doing more testing and will have Senn HD600s next week to try out.

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by oogabooga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I happen to have an 0404 and an Apogee Mini-Dac that I've been testing. My ears cannot tell a difference between either using the HP outs and my TF10s yet, but I'll be doing more testing and will have Senn HD600s next week to try out.

The headphone outs of the dacs? Can you cut their onboard amps out of the equation? (either by routing one dac through the other unit's amp, or using a separate amp of some kind).

Otherwise, you might mistake amp differences for dac differences, possibly.

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 14
I could try to route the Apogee's line out to the Mic-in on the 0404 but I'd need to magic up another 1/8th to 1/4 adapter as I only have one ATM. I'll try to rustle one up on the wkd.

I tried routing both through my XM5, but lately I've been a bit concerned as my XM5 I have is VERY bright compared to every other piece of kit I have... and I think it's going to colour any test I do.

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 14
As far as I can tell, there's no difference between the HP out of the Duet and its line outs. If anything, the break-out cable colours the sound more so.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure there are plenty of choices, but I'd like to see some direct comparisons to avoid buying blind. If someone likes something because it is more detailed than the 0404 for example, it probably won't be for me.

If someone replaced an 0404 with some other dac, I'm curious to know how the new dac sounds different. The interface isn't important (usb, firewire, spdif). I'd like to know what people that have actually heard both pieces have to say.

I haven't replaced mine yet but listened to a friend's Auzeuntech Amon a couple of days ago on my old HD595s and it sounded warmer to my ears than the EMU 0404 but that doesn't mean it is better, just the sound signature is slightly different and was probably due to the amp and not the DAC. The Amon headphone amp has even less juice than the EMU 0404 though but was fine for HD595, just. My EMU 0404 can drive DT990pro comfortably even but I am getting a tube amp very soon so that doesn't matter to me much anyway.

I doubt I will upgrade my 0404 for a quite a while yet as I don't believe DACs make that big of a differnce and I only use it as a DAC. I would upgrade my headphones or amp long before the DAC.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to the Denon DA-500

Got rid of the digital sound of the emu and replaced it with a much warmer nicer sound of the denon. Now I want to upgrade to something better :p

Maybe you need a tube amp and not a new DAC?

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't replaced mine yet but listened to a friend's Auzeuntech Amon a couple of days ago on my old HD595s and it sounded warmer to my ears than the EMU 0404 but that doesn't mean it is better, just the sound signature is slightly different and was probably due to the amp and not the DAC. The Amon headphone amp has even less juice than the EMU 0404 though but was fine for HD595, just. My EMU 0404 can drive DT990pro comfortably even but I am getting a tube amp very soon so that doesn't matter to me much anyway.

I doubt I will upgrade my 0404 for a quite a while yet as I don't believe DACs make that big of a differnce and I only use it as a DAC. I would upgrade my headphones or amp long before the DAC.

Check my profile - my amp(s) and headphone(s) are pretty much set for now
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back